Physical vs Digital (Full Retail)

Dreakon139

Physical vs Digital  

345 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to full retail games, which do you prefer?

• Physical
    • Digital

I bought Borderlands on PSN a little while ago with all the DLC. I'm kind of weird though, it's bugging me a little bit that I don't have a physical copy of it. Smaller PSN games like Castle Crashers and my PSOne classic version of Final Fantasy VII I don't mind sitting on the hard drive but something about having almost 8 gigs worth of full retail game without a disc/case/manual kind of bugs me.

Since the DLC is bought/unlocked on my PS3, I'm thinking I might go and get myself a cheap copy of the non-GOTY Borderlands just to help round out the collection.

Like I said, I'm kind of weird though. When it comes to full retail games (with platinum's and whatnot), which is your preference? Digital or physical? Pretending one isn't any more or less expensive than the other.

Physical any day of the week. I prefer having a case, manual and actual disc as opposed to having a ton of space taken up on my HDD. That being said I did take advantage of the PSN sale for Borderlands and Burnout: Paradise, but 99% of the time I buy a retail game, I go to a store and actually pick up a copy. Plus, my internet is terrible and it takes a long time to download anything remotely big which gives physical media a big advantage for me.

Parker

• Like 1

Physical any day of the week. I prefer having a case, manual and actual disc as opposed to having a ton of space taken up on my HDD. That being said I did take advantage of the PSN sale for Borderlands and Burnout: Paradise, but 99% of the time I buy a retail game, I go to a store and actually pick up a copy. Plus, my internet is terrible and it takes a long time to download anything remotely big which gives physical media a big advantage for me.

Parker

Do you think you would go as far as to buy a physical copy of a game you already downloaded, just to have it? Part of the reason I started this thread is to see if what I intend to do is silly. :P

I'd much rather have an actual disc. I feel better about having a hard copy back up for when, not if, my HDD fails. I do have the ddl's that Sony gave us for the Welcome Back package and they are convenient, but it just feels like I'm missing something. I guess I just like having the experience of taking the wrapper off the case and going through the manual before I slip the disc into my PS3.

I really feel like ddl will be the direction Sony will take in the future because of how much control they'll have over the games that we're buying. Digital dl eliminates the used gaming market and makes sharing games very inconvenient (at least it does for me because I'm not willing to give out passwords). I just don't understand why there is very little price difference because we should be seeing more savings by cutting out the retailers and material/shipping costs.

• Like 2

Do you think you would go as far as to buy a physical copy of a game you already downloaded, just to have it? Part of the reason I started this thread is to see if what I intend to do is silly. :P

I do buy psyical copies of the games I've bought online. I'm a collector. It's not silly.

• Like 1

Dreakon139, if there was a way for you to gift me your digital copy of Borderlands GotY, I'd happily mail you my physical copy of it :)

I love digital distribution and downloads. I know a lot of people love seeing the cases and art on their shelves. Well I love having a huge list to scroll through on my HDD. I try to get digital whenever I can, it's just more convenient for me.

Dreakon139, if there was a way for you to gift me your digital copy of Borderlands GotY, I'd happily mail you my physical copy of it :)

Haha, if only it were possible. I actually nabbed a "like new" copy of Borderlands non-GotY on eBay for $8 last night. Hopefully it's as "lightly used" as advertised, since I more or less got it just to sit on the shelf and look pretty.

I'll probably continue to use the downloaded version to spare my Blu-Ray drive the wear and tear, but it'll be nice to have a hard copy should I lose the downloaded copy somehow (YLOD, followed by a loss of internet? need the HD space for something else?)... or get the urge to bring Borderlands to someone elses house. Either way, could do a lot worse for $8. :P

Ok, I'm in minority here. Digital. I hate switching discs. Also have full wall of movie DVDs (and 99% of them I saw only once and will never watch again, what a waste of money), so I will not repeat the same mistake twice. Also I don't like to wait for 3-4 weeks for ordered discs to arrive (I'm in East Europe). And if you'll scratch your disc, you can throw it away, while digital copy remains forever and can be downloaded as many times as you like. Also noticed that digital games are loading faster. With 500 GB HD installed no problem with space at all. What else to say, digital is clearly preferable for me.

Physical for me, wherever possible.

I don't mind the PSN stuff, and I did buy Borderlands from PSN when they had it on sale a few months back. But I much prefer a physical copy, for the security it gives.

If my hard drive fails for any reason, I have to re-download everything, and even on a fast internet connection, that's just a PITA.

Plus, I like to sell most games on when I'm done, and put the money towards new ones. Can't do that with digital. There are very few games I keep after completing them.

It might be a little different with Vita, though. I've ordered 2 physical games, and plan to get several from PSN.

I have a 500GB HDD so that isnt a problem, but the fact Id have to download it all again on a 50GB per month connection if something went sour isnt really my thing, plus I like having the cases in a nice alphabetized display.

• 2 weeks later...

Physical,

because if i have a digital i feel like i dont even own the game at all. I can't sell it once i finish. digitals heat up my ps3 faster and eat up my hdd. digitals can take a while to download whilst physical you just pop the disc in and you're set.

Digital if something happens to your psn account, then you probably know longer own it. But with physical that wouldn't matter.