Physical vs Digital (Full Retail)

Dreakon139

Physical vs Digital  

345 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to full retail games, which do you prefer?

• Physical
    • Digital

• 3 weeks later...

I perfer the physcial copy of a game. I have downloaded games that I could buy at the store, but it doesn't seem right. I hate, with some games, the long download time. I kinda like walking into my local game store and talking to the clerk about the game, and what not. Maybe I'm old fashioned....

• Like 1

I love adding another game to the collection, it feels like a new art piece in my room. I don't mind a digital download at all, I have never had any problems and I would download a game if it meant saving a few dollars, but given the choice, I would go for a case.

• Like 1

A year ago I would have said physical, no questions. But as I upgraded my PS3's HDD to a 1 TB I changed my stance a little. Out of my 430+ games around 180 are digital. Many are offered only on PSN or because of my PS+ subscription. But I have purchased a few (GOW 1 & 2, Far Cry 3,Portal 2) full retail games. My old fatty's bluray may stop working someday and I just don't want to turn her into a brick.

Digital for the following reasons.

• Less likely to be stolen/lost.
  • PS3 makes less noise.
  • Keep them forever, without having the urge to sell them.
  • You don't have to share.
  • Replay with a sub-account. (Perfect trophy ratio)
  • It's the future. (I am all up for it)

I need to upgrade my HDD soon, looking forward to it. No more opening, closing, taking, and putting in a disc BACK IN IT'S PROPER CASE.

• Like 2

I have started buying digital games, but only because they are digital only, I say physical without a doubt.

Reasons:

You can sell them when you don't want them anymore.

You have a physical copy of the game.

You don't have to wait for the long download times.

These rumors about the future being digital only are all false, if they ever did this gaming would never be the same, I like going into to gamestop every week to get a game.

For any game over $20, I tend to prefer physical. I've never spent more than $20 on anything on either PSN or Steam. For all the "big" games, I go for physical. It's usually cheaper too, at least on PS3 (maybe not so much PC, but that's for another forum). It makes it feel like you actually own something, and that you will have it forever. What happens to your digital games if your HD dies in 10 years? Are the servers down, will you be able to get them back? I don't wanna worry about that stuff :)

I tend to prefer physical for the most part.

* You have them forever.

* Borrowing games from friends, you can't really do something with digital :) and who doesn't love borrowing games from a friend? :D

* You can sell it when you're done with it.

* You can take them to friends houses.

* Even if your PS3 breaks you still have them.

* Probably more reasons but I can't think of them now :P

Digital however is great as well, just not as great :)

I tend to prefer physical for the most part.

* You have them forever.

* Borrowing games from friends, you can't really do something with digital :) and who doesn't love borrowing games from a friend? :D

* You can sell it when you're done with it.

* You can take them to friends houses.

* Even if your PS3 breaks you still have them.

* Probably more reasons but I can't think of them now :P

Digital however is great as well, just not as great :)

All those things you can do with digital, except sell it, but that will contradict your first reason of having them for ever. And I hate to break it to you but if what has been discovered recently is real and Sony uses the technology to block previously owned games then physical will be pretty much useless. How about a future where you buy all those games digitally and then you don't want to be a Sony comsumer, you can sell your Sony product with over 500+ games already installed on the system; of course with a big enough hard drive (HDD).

Edited by xBraiNshOcK

I really like physical media because I know I will have it no matter what. However, I would like to see a free download of the game if you purchase the physical media new. I do think they would have to get rid of account being activated on more than one console at a time if this was going to work though.

• 2 months later...

Physical for sure. Although digital is growing on me. In the future we wont have a choice though, everything will be Digital.

I have started buying digital games, but only because they are digital only, I say physical without a doubt.

Reasons:
You can sell them when you don't want them anymore.
You have a physical copy of the game.
You don't have to wait for the long download times.

These rumors about the future being digital only are all false, if they ever did this gaming would never be the same, I like going into to gamestop every week to get a game.

Of course one day it will be Digital only. I bet you're one of those people that said the DVD wouldn't catch on and kept all your VHS tapes :)

Edited by Skippy