Physical vs Digital (Full Retail)

Dreakon139

Physical vs Digital  

345 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to full retail games, which do you prefer?

• Physical
    • Digital

I prefer the physical copies a lot more than the digital. I can't do this with digital copies.

(this is an old picture too.. expanded by 10+ since then.)

yes they're in alphabetical order. the struggle from working at gamestop.

16472925_10211806744473728_3626296957934

I typically buy digital if it's digital only, 10gbs - 15gbs or less or on sale.

Edited by DuckSwimmer
  • Like 3

Physical all the way - it's mine to keep forever unlike digital which can just be taken down and lost forever at any time, and I like having a game collection on my shelf :3 And unwrapping a new game, the new game smell...
Plus for import games, physical is often the only option (especially on Vita where region-switching is more trouble than it's worth, and I'd like all the games to be on the same user anyway)

Main reason I'd get a physical game digitally is if it's the kind of game you'd want to play just a little bit each day but also play other games on the side, like Animal Crossing, and not have to switch gamecards/CDs every day (of course, it gets a pain later when you don't play it anymore and it's just taking up space but you don't want to delete the file and your progress either...) Or maybe if the digital shop has a REALLY great sale (on CONSOLE, while steam sales are great I rarely actually play games on PC for various preference reasons)

Edited by Zanreo

3 hours ago, Sigma999 said:

WoW, Croatia as a real bad internet connection speed ? I didn't knew that :|

I tendto criticize the internet of Portugal but the statistics state that Portugal has one of 10 fatest internet in the World so i can't complain much on international level xD

yup, there was an european survey recently and only 2 countries with worse internet speeds than us are Montenegro and Albania
I get 6mbit/s, pay for 10, and the minimum they should legally give me is 15...but they don't want to invest in infrastructure for faster internet outside of cities so hey, I'm stuck xD
one of the reasons why I buy physicals :)

if anything my connection is atleast stable and I don't get much lag

Edited by Leo Leopold Leon III

4 hours ago, DuckSwimmer said:

I prefer the physical copies a lot more than the digital. I can't do this with digital copies.

(this is an old picture too.. expanded by 10+ since then.)

yes they're in alphabetical order. the struggle from working at gamestop.

16472925_10211806744473728_3626296957934

I typically buy digital if it's digital only, 10gbs - 15gbs or less or on sale.

Dying Light and Until Dawn better be in there. Already saw Just Cause 3.

6 minutes ago, Mar said:

Dying Light and Until Dawn better be in there. Already saw Just Cause 3.

Of course Dying Light is there. One of my most played games on the PS4 that I've done(80+ hours). Until Dawn is there, scared the living hell out of me since I can't do jump scares lmfao. I plan on playing it again eventually, but with the volume off... lmao.

Edited by DuckSwimmer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I only buy full price games digitally if I want them on release and they rely heavily on online connectivity (Destiny, Battlefield, The Division,...), but I prefer digital games in general. I usually don't buy games until they are at least 50% off from their regular price though.

I have about 400 games on my PSN account all digital, the only physical games I have are Dark Souls, FF13 and Fallout 3 / New Vegas since you can't buy these as Digital. I simply do not have room for 400 boxes, and even if I did I sure as hell could not be arsed to keep getting the discs out / back in the cases all the time. 

I also like the idea that the publisher / developer / sony get more of my money instead of the retailer. I can't wait for physical to go away to be honest I understand why it still exists but I find it quite wasteful ... the footprint that goes into creating physical media which has less reason to exist as the years go by. But I'm from Europe, where data caps have not been a thing for 10 years and I don't mind waiting a day for a game to download - So I get why other people prefer physical still.

I am pretty much fully digital now. Only time I go physical is if it's a collectors edition with a statue or something.

Not sure about the rest of the world, but at least in Ireland, our game retail is almost exclusively Gamestop and they are notoriously bad for inflating their prices. Most of the games they sell you can get either for the same price or significantly cheaper on PSN.

I'd much rather put my money into Sony than one of the most morally bankrupt retailers in existence right now. Also Gamestop are rapidly declining year on year which is really surprising, said no one ever.

29 minutes ago, soniq said:

I only buy full price games digitally if I want them on release and they rely heavily on online connectivity (Destiny, Battlefield, The Division,...), but I prefer digital games in general. I usually don't buy games until they are at least 50% off from their regular price though.

You can keep physical games forever.Way better long term investment.

I prefer digital copies you get two copies for the price of one so I can play with my friends if they do not have the game and I can access my library anywhere in the world and saves space when I am moving around and now with the upto 8TB HDD expansions with 4.50 update its just even better. You buy physical you get one copy and one only. 

3 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Why can't you keep digital games forever too?

You can but I think he/she is referring to when serves are closed for that game and if you have deleted it and its been removed from the store you can't redownload it. Like for example Simpsons Arcade Game which was pulled from the PS Store and if you deleted it you can't redownload it even if you paid for it. Although this is very rare occasions. 

On 04/02/2017 at 6:17 PM, ee28max said:

Physical version

They're easy to obtain. You can easily buy these from stores or borrow them from friends or neighbors, etc.

They are common when it comes to game issues and bug, freezes, etc.

You can return them when you're done with them, unlike the Digital versions.

The best.

Not always are they easy to obtain , it depends on the game . From your point of view , they may seem easy to get since from your collection list displayed here on PSNP , your games all seem to have plentiful copies on market however some titles are scarce and expensive to get nowadays . 

But yeah ,i still prefer physicsl copies as long as they are at a decent price :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

I prefer digital copies you get two copies for the price of one so I can play with my friends if they do not have the game and I can access my library anywhere in the world and saves space when I am moving around and now with the upto 8TB HDD expansions with 4.50 update its just even better. You buy physical you get one copy and one only. 

You can but I think he/she is referring to when serves are closed for that game and if you have deleted it and its been removed from the store you can't redownload it. Like for example Simpsons Arcade Game which was pulled from the PS Store and if you deleted it you can't redownload it even if you paid for it. Although this is very rare occasions. 

Digital games take way longer to download.

Physical 100% of the time. In Australia, digital is usually more expensive than physical. 

Not to mention it's impossible to display a digital collection on a shelf - I like collecting physical copies of niche or rare titles. 

Also there's no trade in or resale option, and having to download the full game. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, patrickogorman19 said:

Digital games take way longer to download.

Not really I can download a 50GB game in less than 2 hours so unless you are running really bad internet in 2017 I do not see how that is a counter-argument... Physical games you actually have to leave your home unless you get it posted to you where the wait time for digital would overrule that statement as you would be playing instantly then for the time you wait for that game to arrive as a disc.

3 minutes ago, DarkSoleride said:

Not really I can download a 50GB game in less than 2 hours so unless you are running really bad internet in 2017 I do not see how that is a counter-argument..

That's the argument. Not everyone has access to super fast internet. 

Sometimes it's quicker to leave the house and head to the store than it is to download a 50GB game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greenshyguy said:

That's the argument. Not everyone has access to super fast internet. 

Sometimes it's quicker to leave the house and head to the store than it is to download a 50GB game. 

It will take a couple of days for me able to download a 50GB game.I might as well go to the local store and buy it there and be apart of my collection.And digital games are overprice where I live.

• Like 1