What do you do when trophies start to get difficult/frustrating?

ChiinkAzNinja

i try taking a break, but feel a nagging feeling inside me that says, "You won't be happy until you earn that trophy." then i go back and with a fierce determination to get it.

Also a tip for people that are going through long grinds (I'm talking 100's of hours long) - mute the game and start listening to podcasts - time flies if you can take your mind off the game.

funny you say that. while grinding in final fantasy x. I muted the game and listened to the roosterteeth podcast. actually i still am. im almost done though.

• Like 1

I usually go and do some weights or head out for a run in the forest near my apartment. Surprising how some exercise can refresh your motivation to get back into the game.

If it is something that requires a whole new fresh playthrough, i'll often pick up another game and revisit it later - nothing wrong with injecting a bit of variety into things :)

• Like 1

Meh my usual when things get out of hand when i'm trying to get a trophy:

1. Bring Mr. Pillow.
  2. Punch Mr. Pillow.
  3. Scream at Mr.Pillow
  4. Just when you are about to curse at Mr. Pillow, the trophy will unlock shortly, Enjoy!

Yes, this happens, pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty much everytime! 

Not joking, Good examples would be: 

Remember kids, violation is never the key to obtaining trophies, Ask Mr. Pillow! Available now in every single bed you see!

Ehehe, hope my idea of what i do when things get out of hand/frustrating when hunting trophies is clear
Edited by Lightning_FinalF
  • Like 1

For the final blockhead in okami i couldnt remember all the weak spots so i got my ipod and recorded it then used it as my reference haha really helped out :D

That makes me feel better knowing that I'm not the only one who had to do that. Took me forever until I realized that you had to hit them in the order that they appeared. When I originally played the game on the Wii, I got so mad at the last story one that I actually found a way to get around it then when I played the HD version I realized you have to do a harder one in order to get 100% and I got very scared. Love that game but man those things suck. 

As for the topic; I usually punch my leg and swear a lot.

Edited by hobbit_010
  • Like 1

i rage quit a couple of time. to fix all that i just take a deep breath, play something cute or go outside or draw something and return trying to unlock them, some of the rage quit trophies are.  

perfect freeflow 2.0 / Batman: arkham city. 

Firefly and Hunter trophies / the last of us. ( lLOL!! i became the alarm clock for my brother who's sleeping in the same room i'm playing in  :giggle: )

and of course some of LBP 1 and 2's F******! X2, X3 or X4 areas which involve getting the !00% game completion and earn a trophy for doing so. ( at the time i only had one dualshock 3 controller, i had to buy a ps3's ps2 controller port just to use my ps2 controllers to get nearly all the X2 or whatever parts my self, though Mm made sure that these parts in LBP2 cannot be completed along and so, few of them i done them online with other people " and dear good the server is way too laggy for me " and the rest with my brother).

though the damn Resistance 3 need another dualshock 3 so i can play offline co-op :angry:.. funny how LBP1 and 2 which it kinda have some motion controls works with the ps2 controllers " though you can't move your head to look around ". also RE 5 works with ps2 controllers and even any USB controllers and many other games include Uncharted series, but i don't know what so special about R3 that need ps3 controllers or you can't play it. i ended up picking my friend ps3 controller to unlock all the R3 co-op trophies and return the controller to him the next day.  

As a new dad, a husband, and a teacher... I don't get to play games the way I used to. I like to get those trophies, yeah, but I'm not going to waste my game time grinding for a Platinum trophy. I'll also not dodge a game because the Platinum/100% is hard to obtain. I just want to play and have fun, not make this a job.

As a new dad, a husband, and a teacher... I don't get to play games the way I used to. I like to get those trophies, yeah, but I'm not going to waste my game time grinding for a Platinum trophy. I'll also not dodge a game because the Platinum/100% is hard to obtain. I just want to play and have fun, not make this a job.

You my friend have just summed up my situation perfectly. Apart from being a teacher that is. Games should be a fun escape from reality not a second job. I've found that I have gone after Trophies a little too much and taken away the fun of playing some games. I am currently not enjoying grinding my way to lvl 55 for the Commited to the Cause Trophy in Assassin's Creed Blackflag. But it's something I can do during the day when the family is about. As far as my daughter is concerned it's just some guy jumping about and falling down alot.

• Like 1

Get a bit angry and maybe yell a bit... then realise I'm yelling at a game and stop straight away.

There have been so many times when I'll finally stop trying something I've been trying for like 3 hours (God of War Titan mode, I'm looking at you), then I can come back the next day and do it first go. So strange how it works like that :P

Or, if it's a puzzle in a game I've been trying for like 1000000000000000 hours, I might eventually google search how to complete it... I HATE when I have to cheat and look at guides normally though, I feel so dirty. The sense of satisfaction when you finally complete something you worked on yourself (even if it took ages) is amazing :P I will admit to now looking at a guide to complete Lone Survivor though. Some of those trophies are ridiculously random (and they're all Secret!!!), and I don't know how the blazes you would know how to do some of that stuff without a guide... glad I completed it without any tips the first run-through though, it was a special experience!

Edited by FluffyAssassin64
  • Like 1