Getting a handle on the fighting...

Dreakon139

I haven't played the game in a week or two, and even then I just started it so I lack some experience. You'll have to excuse me if what I say doesn't make a ton of sense.

Is there some sort of trick to fighting in this game though? A lot of the time I just find myself mashing Square and doing a nifty little three hit combo on guys. Seems pretty effective to start out with. I miss grabs all the time (and I try them often since that one intimidate move raises my action gauge up really nicely). Missing grabs generally tends to leave me wide open though, and it doesn't seem hard to get punished/overwhelmed by a larger group of enemies (especially those with weapons).

I'm kind of rambling. I know the fighting is deeper than this, but I just started. To put it simply, are there any tips you guys could give me for fighting larger groups of enemies? I find myself missing attacks/grabs a lot and getting overwhelmed. :P

• 1 month later...

Hmm...I assume by this time you already finished the game. Well then, let me give some small tips for new players...

R1 is often times the key to success, it's target lock, use it to pummel one punk at a time.

Best combos are usually the ones that "bounce" the player off the ground. If you're doing this while holding R1, if they bounce, release R1 then hit triangle (up tp 3 times if Kiryu) for a free follow-up.

There are many variations for the fighting style, it may be hard to imagine since most players just mash square but it's the truth.

In some cases, don't forget to hold down the last triangle button from a combo, it will charge you up.

• 10 years later...
On 25/02/2012 at 7:28 PM, Senshu573 said:

Hmm...I assume by this time you already finished the game. Well then, let me give some small tips for new players...

R1 is often times the key to success, it's target lock, use it to pummel one punk at a time.

Best combos are usually the ones that "bounce" the player off the ground. If you're doing this while holding R1, if they bounce, release R1 then hit triangle (up tp 3 times if Kiryu) for a free follow-up.

There are many variations for the fighting style, it may be hard to imagine since most players just mash square but it's the truth.

In some cases, don't forget to hold down the last triangle button from a combo, it will charge you up.

Do  you remember how I can get them to bounce with Saejima and Kiryu?

edit: Nevermind,  figured it out.

Edited by Eraezr