Good Berserker Builds?

Dreakon139

I'm honestly not sure how I want to build this guy. I'm level 12, I haven't spent any skill points (other than the initial one into the Berserk skill). I use melee and my shotgun pretty equally, so I don't know what I want to work on.

On the one hand, cranking up all the melee and Berserk skill abilities in the skill tree would be pretty badass... with enough points in these skills it sounds like I could be almost in a constant state of Berserk, getting in the enemies face, doing some really nice damage and having a shit-ton of health/shield/damage protection.

On the other hand, being able to (or being forced to) keep my distance and still be able to hold my own seems like it would be a pretty smart idea in the long run.

I know there's few "best" builds, but what path would be ideal for a good Berserker that can solo and still be useful in a group?

A solid melee build seems like it would be the most fun to me... but I read people saying that a pure melee build gets tough to work with as the game gets more difficult. Is that true? :(

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I know to pick what build "suits me best", the only problem is I really don't care enough to spend a ton of time experimenting to figure that out... so I just want to find a build that just flat out works. Preferably a good straight up melee one though, for the Berserker class. Are there points in the game a pure melee build would be impossible to work with? I hear some bosses (even possibly the final one) may be impossible to kill without some long range expertise. :unsure:

Also, while I'm here. I just hit level 13 and it's gotten to the point where most of my missions are sending me to the Arid Hills (I believe it's called that). I'm getting my ass kicked though by the majority of the things as soon as I walk in. Is that probably a result of me not spending any of my skill points yet? Will the results of doing so really help me that much?

Thanks! :)

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I know to pick what build "suits me best", the only problem is I really don't care enough to spend a ton of time experimenting to figure that out... so I just want to find a build that just flat out works. Preferably a good straight up melee one though, for the Berserker class. Are there points in the game a pure melee build would be impossible to work with? I hear some bosses (even possibly the final one) may be impossible to kill without some long range expertise. :unsure:

Also, while I'm here. I just hit level 13 and it's gotten to the point where most of my missions are sending me to the Arid Hills (I believe it's called that). I'm getting my ass kicked though by the majority of the things as soon as I walk in. Is that probably a result of me not spending any of my skill points yet? Will the results of doing so really help me that much?

Thanks! :)

Oh yes, you need to power yourself up. If you look, some catagories up your health, others up your shield, your special ability. You also probably need to look for some stronger shields at the vending machines, along with some guns with more firepower. Remember, you can always clear the slate via the nu-you station and start over with the skill points if you don't like how things are working out.

• Like 1

in the skil tree, all skill are seperated into 3 general types, for every character: one mainly based on their primary gun type (shotguns for Brick, Snipers for Mordecai, etc.), one for their Secondary weapon (LMGs in your case), and finally, one for their skill. the Skill one is what you want....for you, this would be Brawler. However, since this means you'll have little gun skill, i recommend putting points also into Tank to make sure you dont die whenever your skill in unusable.

if you want to really experiment, people have made Skill Calculators like this one here , which allow you to choose your character, and plan out what you can put skill points into, and give you a roundabout idea of how things will look.

as a side note....if you do find even with this the game gets frustrating, now that Brick is the harder class to start out as...id recommend maybe creating a seperate Soldier save file and using this, its much easier to use and get accustomed to for a first run through if needed..and also they make for great team players when doing MP things.

• Like 1

as a side note....if you do find even with this the game gets frustrating, now that Brick is the harder class to start out as...id recommend maybe creating a seperate Soldier save file and using this, its much easier to use and get accustomed to for a first run through if needed..and also they make for great team players when doing MP things.

In games like these I always find myself being the brutish, tank-like character... so I think this will fit well for me. Any struggles I'm sure I'll be able to work through (if I can ever figure out how I want to build my guy).

I'm more or less just wondering now if pumping points into the Brawler and Tank potions of the skill tree (and ignoring the Blaster part) will screw me over later in the game because I'll suck with guns lol.

If you all don't mind, I'm going to use this as my official "complaining" thread... as opposed to starting a new one. My patience with this game is dwindling really fast.

Pretty much all of my missions have me going to Arid Hills. I'm level 14. I've spent most of my (relatively few) skill points pumping up my health and the duration of my Berserk. Even if I'm spending points poorly, I don't think I have enough yet to make such an extreme difference. I'm using guns and shields both that I have bought and that I have found... a shotgun, a nice scoped SMG type gun and a repeater that sets things on fire. I could probably stand for a better shotgun at this point, but none are available for purchase and the one I have is the best I've found. Other than that, I think my equipment is where it should be...

The game quickly went from "Oh, this is pretty cool. Some bosses here and there are pretty tough, but most things I can kill at least" to "Why even fucking bother, everything seems to take out my shield in one or two hits now and my health keeps me alive long enough to at least figure out who's shooting at me."

I've tried shields with low protection and quick health regen and shields with high protection and slow health regen. The quick health regen has saved me more often than not.

What am I doing so horribly wrong that the game doesn't seem to want me going any further? Do I need to grind easier stuff outside of Fyrestone until I'm beefed up enough to survive other areas? I think I'm missing something really, really important because the game is just repeatedly killing me until I get the idea that I'm not supposed to be doing missions anymore or something.

Now, this may or may not help...when I played, I used the sniper class and set the character up to how I liked to use him, rather than worried about how I should or shouldn't allocate user points. As I opened up deeper in the chart, my strategy might or might not swerve slightly. Hell, just pick a strategy and see if it works. If not, go to the Nu-You station and clear your character's skill points and try another strategy.

The things you need to focus on is shield strength, special ability and health level...anything that helps to extend your lifespan as the enemies get stronger will eventually pay off in the long run.

..as for your latest post. Grinding ALWAYS helps in the long run. If the enemies are too strong, level up a couple of times and then try again.

• Like 1

Now, this may or may not help...when I played, I used the sniper class and set the character up to how I liked to use him, rather than worried about how I should or shouldn't allocate user points. As I opened up deeper in the chart, my strategy might or might not swerve slightly. Hell, just pick a strategy and see if it works. If not, go to the Nu-You station and clear your character's skill points and try another strategy.

The things you need to focus on is shield strength, special ability and health level...anything that helps to extend your lifespan as the enemies get stronger will eventually pay off in the long run.

..as for your latest post. Grinding ALWAYS helps in the long run. If the enemies are too strong, level up a couple of times and then try again.

Guess I'll have to grind then. I'm dishing out enough money from respawning that I may not have enough to reset my skill points the way it's going. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to grind then. I'm dishing out enough money from respawning that I may not have enough to reset my skill points the way it's going. :rolleyes:

I had only done about 10-15 of the standard missions and was at level 14. I did plenty of grinding during my 1st playthru and had the same difficulties. The bigger skags didn't want to drop, kept getting killed in the Arid section so I stuck around in the original section and worked around there for a while. The Hunter skill really made things easier as you could elementally charge up the Bloodwing and you could level up his amount of attacks. Eventually, I could send him out to clear a whole section of Skaggs without having to fire a shot.

Another thing to help is to focus on the "Trivial" rated missions. Doing the "Normal" rated ones can end up being flustrating. Clearing and redeeming those can jump you up 5 levels. However, be advised that leveling up doesn't help in killing things. That is only handled by getting stronger weapons. Leveling up adds to the skill points and health, which usually means you can stick around longer in a fight.

This isn't a wade into the middle of a brawl game. You have to hit and run, or hit from a distance. But also be aware, get too far away from a spawning point for the Skaggs and their counter of spawns will re-start over.

• Like 1

However, be advised that leveling up doesn't help in killing things. That is only handled by getting stronger weapons. Leveling up adds to the skill points and health, which usually means you can stick around longer in a fight.

Hmm... how might I go about getting better weapons? Like I said, what I have is what I've been finding and occasionally stuff I've bought. The supply in the store seems relatively limited though and good shotguns are hard to come by in the wild.

Hmm... how might I go about getting better weapons? Like I said, what I have is what I've been finding and occasionally stuff I've bought. The supply in the store seems relatively limited though and good shotguns are hard to come by in the wild.

1 thing to consider is use elemental weapons, even though they might have a lower initial damage level. The fire or corrosive weapons tack on extended damage and work GREAT on Armor (You'll meet them in Old Haven later) or Skaggs.. Also, electric (blue) creatures aren't damaged by electric weapons. The same goes for the green (corrosive) or red (fire) monster/bandits. If you see electric eyes, use something other than electric weapons etc, etc. But as for finding stronger weapons, you either get a new section of the map open and buy it at the vending machines or you just stumble across them. Killing the bosses usually gives you something to work with for a little bit, but eventually you'll find stronger weapons in the wild.

If you'd like, I have no plans today and "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has told me that I can have the TV until 7 tonight. I can bring my level 50 Sniper and stand in the background and lend a hand if you get in over your head today. Kinda like how James Gardner helped out Mel Gibson in the Maverick remake.

If you'd like, I have no plans today and "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has told me that I can have the TV until 7 tonight. I can bring my level 50 Sniper and stand in the background and lend a hand if you get in over your head today. Kinda like how James Gardner helped out Mel Gibson in the Maverick remake.

I appreciate it, but I think I'm going to try and work it on my own for a bit longer. Now that I know that grinding is a viable solution towards beefing my guy up, I'll just hang around the areas I know I can handle in search of levels and possible some better equipment.

Thanks though. :)

I appreciate it, but I think I'm going to try and work it on my own for a bit longer. Now that I know that grinding is a viable solution towards beefing my guy up, I'll just hang around the areas I know I can handle in search of levels and possible some better equipment.

Thanks though. :)

You change your mind, just give me a shout. I'll give you back-up... ;)