West Brom 0 v 1 Sunderland
West Ham 1 v 1 Tottenham
Arsenal 3 v 0 Crystal Palace

Sunday 17th August:

Liverpool 2 v 0 Southampton (BANKER)
Newcastle 1 v 2 Man City

Monday 18th August:

Burnley 0 v 2 Chelsea 

Just got back from the game and what a nail biter in stoppage time when Ramsey comes to the rescue and seals victory for the gunners, if we can keep him fit for the duration of the season we will do well in the league and in europe hopefully.

It does beg the question though, because of Pulis's sudden departure from Palace I think the result could have been a completely different scoreline, but hey Palace's loss is Arsenal's gain, come on you gunners!

Really made me laugh when United lost, always does lol then I got the hump seeing Arsenal win

Must've had a blast last season, then, what with it being the only bad season they've had in ages - unlike other teams (mostly those in London) that can't see silverware more than once in a decade :P.

Edited by Nagflar

Must've had a blast last season, then, what with it being the only bad season they've had in ages - unlike other teams (mostly those in London) that can't see silverware more than once in a decade :P.

Yh it was and I hope it is this season too lol I grew up in a house full of United fans seeing thin win trophy after trophy and frankly I'm sick of it lol and I'm kinda resigned to seeing Spurs hardly ever win a trophy, I mean I've only seen it twice lol

Yh it was and I hope it is this season too lol I grew up in a house full of United fans seeing thin win trophy after trophy and frankly I'm sick of it lol and I'm kinda resigned to seeing Spurs hardly ever win a trophy, I mean I've only seen it twice lol

I don't have high hopes on the long-run for Van Gaal - always thought of him as one of those guys you enjoy having with your team for a couple of seasons and then you want him to disappear completely. That said, I can't see them not having a good season, whether it ends trophyless or not.

I don't have high hopes on the long-run for Van Gaal - always thought of him as one of those guys you enjoy having with your team for a couple of seasons and then you want him to disappear completely. That said, I can't see them not having a good season, whether it ends trophyless or not.

They'll struggle to finish top 4, their whole defense is piss poor, Jones, Smalling and Evans? Is that really the quality you expect from first choice United Centre backs?   The whole notion going around the media lately is that United will finish top 4 with Liverpool 5th, what a load of shite that is lol.

They'll struggle to finish top 4, their whole defense is piss poor, Jones, Smalling and Evans? Is that really the quality you expect from first choice United Centre backs?   The whole notion going around the media lately is that United will finish top 4 with Liverpool 5th, what a load of shite that is lol.

Liverpool fan?

Look at the long term not just the first game! Liverpool's defence was piss poor all last season and still will be especially if he doesn't play Agger and to top that they have sold their best player. Sturridge is good from 12 yards but he cannot do what Suarez did last season and that will be the difference, he wont be their to bail them out in the tough games. Southampton should have beaten them yesterday and they have sold all their players for Christ sake. I still see United finishing top 4 as he will buy more players yet but winning the title is too much because Chelsea and City are strong.

Liverpool fan?

Look at the long term not just the first game! Liverpool's defence was piss poor all last season and still will be especially if he doesn't play Agger and to top that they have sold their best player. Sturridge is good from 12 yards but he cannot do what Suarez did last season and that will be the difference, he wont be their to bail them out in the tough games. Southampton should have beaten them yesterday and they have sold all their players for Christ sake. I still see United finishing top 4 as he will buy more players yet but winning the title is too much because Chelsea and City are strong.

Sure the defense was awful but we were bailed out by Sturridge and Suarez, where's United's Suarez esque player to do something similar? RVP is past it, unless LVG works miracles and can keep him fit he'll be a sick note like he's always been for Arsenal. The problem for Liverpool was their defense and with Lovern and Moreno it's been significantly improved (Agger is far too error prone, and he's absolutely shite at set pieces, he can seemingly never do the simple task of following his man). The window is still open so of course it can all change, Vidal for example could change everything but for now purely squad based (LVG 'factor' aside) can you really say United are top 4 quality? Or put it another way how many of Uniteds players would get into the top 4 teams? 

Sure the defense was awful but we were bailed out by Sturridge and Suarez, where's United's Suarez esque player to do something similar? RVP is past it, unless LVG works miracles and can keep him fit he'll be a sick note like he's always been for Arsenal. The problem for Liverpool was their defense and with Lovern and Moreno it's been significantly improved (Agger is far too error prone, and he's absolutely shite at set pieces, he can seemingly never do the simple task of following his man). The window is still open so of course it can all change, Vidal for example could change everything but for now purely squad based (LVG 'factor' aside) can you really say United are top 4 quality? Or put it another way how many of Uniteds players would get into the top 4 teams?

That's the issue, where is Liverpool's Suarez-esque player? You sold him! There are only 3 of them in the world Ronaldo, Messi and Suarez and possibly Aguero when fit! United have never needed one of them, Ferguson had them playing as a team! RVP when fit is one of the best finishers in the world and I think Van Gaal will get him back to that, Rooney has consistently been one of the leagues best for a decade and still is. As bad as Agger is at set pieces, he is Liverpools best defender, Lovren played well at a mid table side but this is different and Moreno is unproven in the prem although I think he will do well. The rest of your buys for me look like long term future looking transfers not the current moment, they need big players to build on last season and they have not bought them, what if Sturridge gets injured? You cannot question the United squads credentials as the same squad won the league 2 seasons ago! How many would get in top 4 is a tough question, in terms of good enough. Rooney RVP, Mata, Herrera, Januzaj, De Gea, Shaw (maybe again unproven at this level). I would like to see us buy a few more and I think he will, Vidal, DiMaria, Hummels all look likely at the minute but then we go from there. How many Liverpool currently in top 4 sides? Sturridge and Sterling? Gerrard obviously but father time will get him soon as it happens to them all!

That's the issue, where is Liverpool's Suarez-esque player? You sold him! There are only 3 of them in the world Ronaldo, Messi and Suarez and possibly Aguero when fit! United have never needed one of them, Ferguson had them playing as a team! RVP when fit is one of the best finishers in the world and I think Van Gaal will get him back to that, Rooney has consistently been one of the leagues best for a decade and still is. As bad as Agger is at set pieces, he is Liverpools best defender, Lovren played well at a mid table side but this is different and Moreno is unproven in the prem although I think he will do well. The rest of your buys for me look like long term future looking transfers not the current moment, they need big players to build on last season and they have not bought them, what if Sturridge gets injured? You cannot question the United squads credentials as the same squad won the league 2 seasons ago! How many would get in top 4 is a tough question, in terms of good enough. Rooney RVP, Mata, Herrera, Januzaj, De Gea, Shaw (maybe again unproven at this level). I would like to see us buy a few more and I think he will, Vidal, DiMaria, Hummels all look likely at the minute but then we go from there. How many Liverpool currently in top 4 sides? Sturridge and Sterling? Gerrard obviously but father time will get him soon as it happens to them all!

That what I mean, if they were to sign Vidal and say Hummels (could be found out for pace in the PL though) United are a completely different beast. With all respect to LVG he's not Fergie meaning he's not going to get the same out of those players, couple that with the fear factor gone from Old Trafford it's a different situation from when Fergie was there, even if they are mostly the same in terms of the squad. Whether or not United finish in the Top 4 probably depends on how far Arsenal and Liverpool get in the CL, again though this is based on right now, making predictions is somewhat silly (Yes I realise I made one) until the window closes.

And if it's not too late to make a prediction for tonight's game

Burnley 1-3 Chelsea

That what I mean, if they were to sign Vidal and say Hummels (could be found out for pace in the PL though) United are a completely different beast. With all respect to LVG he's not Fergie meaning he's not going to get the same out of those players, couple that with the fear factor gone from Old Trafford it's a different situation from when Fergie was there, even if they are mostly the same in terms of the squad. Whether or not United finish in the Top 4 probably depends on how far Arsenal and Liverpool get in the CL, again though this is based on right now, making predictions is somewhat silly (Yes I realise I made one) until the window closes.

And if it's not too late to make a prediction for tonight's game

Burnley 1-3 Chelsea

There is just something about Liverpool this season, I don't know what it is, I am not coming over as a United fan that dislikes them (although I'm not a big fan lol). I just think there are too many weak players in the squad that were feeding off Suarez and will be found out this year. Champions league for me depends on luck of the draw, if you get a draw like City last season you have no chance at all but it can be kind. I will say currently I think United will finish 4th but it could all change with transfers like you say, I reckon topping Arsenal will be hard because they have improved the strength in depth that has always let them down. Guess that would leave you 5th lol!!

Liverpool won't be as good as last season, I think Southampton proved that yesterday. All this talk about their players leaving ( especially the 3 Liverpool brought) and they really should of won that game. It was only Lovren that started and he looked ordinary at best.

As for Spurs, think a 0-0 would of been fair, but a win is a win :) and I think some revenge for what they did last season

I cry everytime I watch the starting line-up for United, for they're awful, and not only the centre-backs, but the right and left-backs too. Rafel is a piece of shit, and his brother was even worse. That said, take Ferdinand and Evra away and for the last seasons Ferguson had to deal with absolute crap - yet they still kicked ass, so it stands to reason that Van Gaal can make it work as well.

As for Liverpool we can't say for sure. They could finish top 3 or top 8 given how awfully reliable they are (not). Their defense wasn't exactly great last season and now they've lost their hugest reference up-front, so even if Sturridge and Sterling step-up their game they'd still fall a bit short of what they were last season.

And regarding United's "Suarez", Rooney has been for well over a year the only guy sticking it up for the team all the time, and he did it on Saturday as well. The big issue is that no one else helps him as much (or at all), and given how bad the system Moyes had for 90% of his matches were, Rooney couldn't save 'em more often than not.

Make of it what you will but Sterling is no Suarez, the evidence is clear as day during the World Cup when England faced Uruguay and Suarez was the difference in that game. He can make something out of nothing and that makes him a talented but flawed player with his on field antics with a unquenchable thirst for flesh. Sterling and Sturridge can't hold a torch to him as they are not even in his league.

Full credit to Southampton, they gave Liverpool a game and deserved a point in my opinion. With Ronald Koeman as manager I think they will do relatively well in the league.