Are comedies getting worse?

Fierce_DeityX1

Comedies  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are comedies becoming worse?

So far, there are only 3 comedies i like that were made in the 2000s, in which they are

-Psych

-The Office

-I like th

Now shows that were before the 2000s 

-Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

-I love lucy (watched it in one of my classes a few months ago,

-The andy griffith  show

-M.A.S.H

-The Braidy Bunch

So, whats your opinion on modern comedy shows?

Edited by Fierce_DeityX1

Comedy is one of those things that is completely subjective. You might laugh your arse off at a banana driving a monster truck, whilst I might just run out of fear. Therefore, I wouldn't say comedies have gotten worse, you just haven't seen any that tickle your comedy bone. 

This.

I've found loads of comedy shows that I've liked after 2000. Like, The League, How I Met Your Mother, The Inbetweeners, Scrubs, Robot Chicken, My Name is Earl, Bob's Burgers, Peep Show, Louie, and New Girl. And that's just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Of course, there are many bad shows too, but there were bad shows pre-2000 too. But like all things, only the best of the best are remembered and available to watch. So, it may seem that there were more good shows back then, because you're only able to watch the best shows of the times, not the horrible shows or the fad shows.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say they have. I've seen plenty of good comedies before 2000, and plenty after.

Just some examples of good modern comedies:

-It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (my favorite)

-Key & Peele

-Workaholics

-Modern Family

-The Office

-Nathan For You

-Tosh.0

-Impractical Jokers

Many tv-shows base their writing mainly according to fashions, it feels lazy, instead of trying to create something really funny/clever they go for easy stuff.

It's like a competence for showing the most absurd situations and you just have to get use to that.

Obviously, they're some cases where the product delivers. I like the dry humor of Parks and recreations.

Maybe many of us are just tied to the antique way to make comedy.

I haven't heard of any of the comedies most aboves are suggesting.

Though 2 Broke Girls, New Girl, The Mindy Project are really hilarious and still running. You must find different things funny to me, i think there are a lot of really funny comedies since after 2000 like Scrubs, 2 Pints and the IT Crowd which ran since the start off the 2000s until recently.

I'm not sure if "worse" is the right word, but definitely for the most part unoriginal. At least on the networks. There have been several comedies I've liked over the last few years, but they get cancelled after 1 season. The cookie-cutter comedies are always the ones that get picked up for years . . . and years.

TV/movies have undergone a serious devolution in my opinion over the past decade plus. However, as mentioned is is totally subjective.

TLC used to be "the learning channel", I actually learnt stuff. Same with Discovery and History. Now it's  just a plethora of gold mining shit and auto restoration, not to mention pawnbroking. But if the masses didn't like these shows, they wouldnt be on. Only cerebral show I can think of is Neil DeGrasse Tyson's "Cosmos". Yeah there;s a few more but few and far between. Enough of this tangent.

As for comedies. the only show in the 2000's that literally made me "lol", would be Arrested Development. Watch it, it's brilliant. Barring the Netflix exclusive season 4 which is sub-par compared to the first 3 seasons. But subjectivity once again. I'm a tough nut to crack when it somes to comedy. Even the show from which my avatar comes from had 2 good seasons in my books, and a handful of really good ones.

Edited by Big_Blue_Tree
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if "worse" is the right word, but definitely for the most part unoriginal. At least on the networks. There have been several comedies I've liked over the last few years, but they get cancelled after 1 season. The cookie-cutter comedies are always the ones that get picked up for years . . . and years.

like Freaks and geeks?

TV/movies have undergone a serious devolution in my opinion over the past decade plus. However, as mentioned is is totally subjective.

TLC used to be "the learning channel", I actually learnt stuff. Same with Discovery and History. Now it's  just a plethora of gold mining shit and auto restoration, not to mention pawnbroking. But if the masses didn't like these shows, they wouldnt be on. Only cerebral show I can think of is Neil DeGrasse Tyson's "Cosmos". Yeah there;s a few more but few and far between. Enough of this tangent.

As for comedies. the only show in the 2000's that literally made me "lol", would be Arrested Development. Watch it, it's brilliant. Barring the Netflix exclusive season 4 which is sub-par compared to the first 3 seasons. But subjectivity once again. I'm a tough nut to crack when it somes to comedy. Even the show from which my avatar comes from had 2 good seasons in my books, and a handful of really good ones.

Forgot to meention arrested development

as for educational channels, yes they  need to brng back educationm howeer the science channell is decent

I think really good comedy always exists, but depending on trends, it can sometimes take a while to find.

I still think a dick and fart joke can be hilarious if it is done properly, but nowadays it seems to be used to get an easy laugh in a comedy as well as being constantly brought up in a tonne of different movies. Nowadays I prefer understated clever comedy.

In movies - i'm really digging what they call 'real life' comedies, where all of the things that can happen are feasible in real life but are told in a comedic way. Some recent examples:

• 50/50 was a bit of a bittersweet comedy. I can completely relate to Joseph-Gordon Levitts character lifestyle and they do a good job of bringing the laughs in over a pretty serious topic. Great film.
  • The Worlds End - Really great buddy movie which completely changes genre about halfway through. Highly recommended!
  • The Wolf of Wall Street - One of the best dark comedies i've ever seen and personally - a contender for film of the year. If you haven't seen this - do it! Even more awesome that is based on a true story.

In Television - I'm really enjoying these:

• Portlandia - Pretty much a comedy take on what is apparently one of the most hipster regions in the US. You can tell all of the people they parody are based on real life individuals they've come across in Portland
  • Arrested Development - One of my all time favourite comedies, and it got cancelled. Netflix resurrected it for a 4th season but it wasn't as funny as the original seasons that aired.
  • 30 Rock - An outstanding comedy - silly and smart in equal measure. Nice to see the best Baldwin of the bunch getting some acting attention.
  • Like 1

Yes and no , it's subjective 

for me my most recent favorite tv comedy's are : 

How i met your mother 

The Office 

Always Sunny In Philadelphia

The Big Bang Theory 

And a few more less popular shows  , i think shows have stayed pretty consistent 

they still lack a few things but a lot i find generally funny 

Movies on the other hand , yes i do believe they aren't as funny as they used to be 

it seems they've ran out of jokes , stories , creativity etc , but the whole thing is subjective 

Edited by TheVolloxx-

I think it gets worse when the shows drag the seasons out and just keep adding more because it has high ratings, like The Office (US), Modern Family, Parks and Recreation, New Girl. At a certain point all these shows seem to hit the barrier of the writers and end up over-exaggerating the characters. Or the original writers leave and are replaced by generic ones, like Community.

More shows need to start adopting the Archer style where the show completely changes for a season due to the writer having writers block.

There's a known phenomenon where it seems older eras produced better things than the present. You know what I'm talking about, like when we bitch about the state of music today. The reason is that only the good stuff, the seminal works get remembered, while the pedestrian stuff or the bad stuff gets forgotten. So it seems to us like we're hip deep in crap while older eras had better stuff. I guarantee they thought they were hip deep in crap too back then. Anyone remember Hanson? I thought they would never go away when they were popular, but I guarantee you haven't spared a second thought about them since then until I just mentioned them. I know I veered off into music with this, the point is that those one or two shows from the present time you recognize as good, those will be the ones 20 years from now people will be remembering fondly, while the rest gets forgotten about.

• Like 2

They are not getting worse its just the better ones don't get the awards and recognition they deserve

It's always funny in Philadelphia

Community

Seinfeld(not appreciated enough)

with funny shows getting canceled after one season and then shows like 2 Broke Girls and The Mindy Project getting renewed year after year (god i hate those shows)

That might be making you feel this way it does for me when i see a network cancel a good show and renew a god awful one