Are comedies getting worse?

Fierce_DeityX1

Comedies  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are comedies becoming worse?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't watch a lot of comedy movies or shows. If I do, it's something I've seen a couple times before. Someone said before I did but I agree totally: too many dick and sex jokes plague comedy movies today. And you don't need to drop f bombs in every other sentence. Cussing is funny, but only when used at the right times. Everything in moderation. I hear of a lot of movies that just overload on the cussing & sex jokes

these days for shock value. But there's nothing shocking about it anymore. It's been done.

I like horror movies and horror tv shows. "The Walking Dead" is some of the best writing ever in my opinion. And "The Conjuring" was an amazing breath of fresh air for the horror genre.

my two cents.

There's a known phenomenon where it seems older eras produced better things than the present. You know what I'm talking about, like when we bitch about the state of music today. The reason is that only the good stuff, the seminal works get remembered, while the pedestrian stuff or the bad stuff gets forgotten. So it seems to us like we're hip deep in crap while older eras had better stuff. I guarantee they thought they were hip deep in crap too back then. Anyone remember Hanson? I thought they would never go away when they were popular, but I guarantee you haven't spared a second thought about them since then until I just mentioned them. I know I veered off into music with this, the point is that those one or two shows from the present time you recognize as good, those will be the ones 20 years from now people will be remembering fondly, while the rest gets forgotten about.

Woah, didnt think of it that way...

YES! But I'd take it a step further and say that shows overall have gotten worse thanks to the invasion of reality television.

Back on topic though: I watch bits and pieces of some of the comedies on now and then watch something like an old episode of Martin or Seinfield. Each time I can't help but to ask myself, "This is what's considered funny these days?!". I think the shows are getting dumber because the audience is getting dumber...

There's a known phenomenon where it seems older eras produced better things than the present. You know what I'm talking about, like when we bitch about the state of music today. The reason is that only the good stuff, the seminal works get remembered, while the pedestrian stuff or the bad stuff gets forgotten. So it seems to us like we're hip deep in crap while older eras had better stuff. I guarantee they thought they were hip deep in crap too back then. Anyone remember Hanson? I thought they would never go away when they were popular, but I guarantee you haven't spared a second thought about them since then until I just mentioned them. I know I veered off into music with this, the point is that those one or two shows from the present time you recognize as good, those will be the ones 20 years from now people will be remembering fondly, while the rest gets forgotten about.

Good point! I keep trying to remind myself of this but its just hard when you "know" the most popular thing being pushed at the moment sucks way before everyone else does, lol. And "Hanson"...LOL.

Edited by merciful84

• 2 months later...