Our Finest Hour

soniq

Has anybody checked out the tip by Sypher-KoS for earning the Impossible difficulty trophy?

It is possible to use a glitch to stack all three difficulty trophies. Play the game on easy until you build the Gallop Chamber and get a recruit with the gift capable of using it. Before doing so change the difficulty to impossible and wait for a random UFO or abduction mission, anything you can abort. Start that mission and immediately evacuate and abort the mission. Now activate the final mission. Complete the final mission on impossible difficulty and all three should stack. Walkthroughs can help you through the final ship, which is tough but not too hard.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/1649-XCOM-Enemy-Unknown/7-Our-Finest-Hour

While I have my doubts, his tip got 2 likes and looking at all 3 profiles, they seem legit (as in not trolling).

Anyone who maybe has a savegame from that part of the game and could test it? All my savegames are from either the middle part of the story or during the final mission, so I can't do it myself anytime soon.

Edited by soniq

Tried it twice tonight, but the game got stuck both times at the Skyranger loading screen after the final cutscene. -.- Will try again tomorrow.

edit: Didn't work.

Edited by soniq

• 4 weeks later...

The tip works. I did it last night. Let me copy my post from playstationtrophies.org:

The tip on psnprofiles DOES WORK!!!
I just did it. Unfortunately psnprofiles got maintenance going on so it won't let me update (probably because of the DDoS attack on PSN servers). Once it's back on I'll update it.
I'll try to describe everything I did step by step. This was my very first run and I started on normal.

- Once the option to build the Gallop Chamber showed up I changed to Impossible (didn't start building yet).
- Scan the planet to fight. Moved everyone to evac zone and retreated.
- The month ended (Council report)
- New month, started building GC
- Scan and evac
- Once GC done, I searched for gifted soldier
- Scan and evac
- Put on PSI suit and went to GC (start final mission)
- Beat the game (pop-pop-pop, 3 trophies)

Saved after every step above but used multiple save spots. I lost 1 country (US). It even froze once at the GC cutscene, but I loaded up the game again and it went smooth after. Oh and I didn't do it all in one sitting, even reloaded during final mission b/c I messed up. I have the PS+ version with the latest update. I AM NOT TROLLING. THIS IS REAL.
Sorry for caps/bold, just want to make a point. smile.gif

Edit: I wonder if it's possible to do Ironman on Easy first then switch to Classic...

DizzyDavidson.png

Edited by DizzyDavidson
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The tip works. I did it last night. Let me copy my post from playstationtrophies.org

I will delete my game and reinstall without the dlc.

Hopefully my savegames will still work.

Edit: I wonder if it's possible to do Ironman on Easy first then switch to Classic...

Did you try it by any chance? You have unlocked the trophy, so I wonder if it worked.

edit: Could you check if the saves you created after the difficulty change say that they are game 2?

Apparently that jump in games is what causes the glitch to work.

Edited by soniq

Did you try it by any chance? You have unlocked the trophy, so I wonder if it worked.

edit: Could you check if the saves you created after the difficulty change say that they are game 2?

Apparently that jump in games is what causes the glitch to work.

No I did Ironman/Classic the old fashioned way. I was looking for a challenge since Normal was easy but it turned out ranking up difficulty just makes the game pretty much just a game of chance. Which was frustrating as hell on Ironman.

I did try Lone Wolf and Wet Work (I read those can be done by changing difficulty too), but they didn't unlock that way.

The save still says Game 1, but the next game I started says Game 3 (skipped over G2). Yes I believe too they are related.

No I did Ironman/Classic the old fashioned way. I was looking for a challenge since Normal was easy but it turned out ranking up difficulty just makes the game pretty much just a game of chance. Which was frustrating as hell on Ironman.

I did try Lone Wolf and Wet Work (I read those can be done by changing difficulty too), but they didn't unlock that way.

The save still says Game 1, but the next game I started says Game 3 (skipped over G2). Yes I believe too they are related.

Thanks for the information.

I've loaded up my save file I used previously to try to glitch the trophy and it didn't unlock, again.

What I've tried was:

• Deleteing all installed files including patches and DLC before loading the save, but the game requires DLC installed to load a game that was originally started with DLC.
  • Deleting my profile file that stores my number of playthroughs, UFOs shot down, Second Wave options, etc
  • Shooting down and ignoring lots of UFOs.
  • Starting and either finishing or evacuating missions.
  • Getting from panic level 0 to 6.
  • Creating lots of new save files in between, reloading them from time to time.
  • Dying in missions and reloading different previous saves.

I guess I'll just delete everything again and start the game fresh without DLC.

Not too bothered about 3 wasted playthroughs as I really, really like the game. :)

Edited by soniq

Ok, I have deleted all of my XCOM data, including the game, patch, profile and saves.

Re-downloaded the game, installed patch 1.04, started a new game (Game 1), played up until the point where I could build the Gallop Chamber.

Saved my game, switched to Impossible, started building the chamber, started a few mission and aborted them while waiting for it to finish, chose my volunteer, started the final mission, killed the boss and: Nothing. :(

Ok, I have deleted all of my XCOM data, including the game, patch, profile and saves.

Re-downloaded the game, installed patch 1.04, started a new game (Game 1), played up until the point where I could build the Gallop Chamber.

Saved my game, switched to Impossible, started building the chamber, started a few mission and aborted them while waiting for it to finish, chose my volunteer, started the final mission, killed the boss and: Nothing. :(

Damn. I'm sorry it didn't work for you. So far nobody (who contacted me) was able to replicate it. I haven't got the slightest clue as to what makes it work. At this point it seems like I just made this whole thing up but I didn't, I swear. I got the tip from here and I wasn't the first to make it work. Maybe try contacting others who "liked" the tip. What they did different.

• 1 month later...

I can assure you it works

I just did it an hour ago ( from the moment i'm writting this post )

I was playing on normal

Before I even started building the chamber i switched to impossible

Then Start building it

Scanned for a mission

Aborted said Mission

Chamber Finished building

Entered Final mission

& got all 3 trophies... This tip is legit  B) 

Thx for it btw

• 4 weeks later...

Are you still trying to get the Impossible playthrough without putting any effort into it?

At this point I'm more curious on what makes that glitch possible rather than getting the trophy through it. I'd still unlock it the easy way, obviously, but the not-knowing just bugs me.

Edited by soniq

• 4 months later...

A friend just did this last night on a dummy account cause he couldn't understand why it would work for some and not for others.  He says the reason why it won't pop for people is cause they already finished the game on an easy or normal difficulty.  If you don't have any trophies that you completed the game it will work.  I am Currently doing it now and will update when I find out if it works.

Edited by FarBeyondUrSkill

• 8 years later...

Yeah this has been patched I just tried replicating the method and nothing. I was more than half expecting it was patched or what is also likely I did something wrong with the setup.

Nevermind impossible ain't too bad already beat a few missions with no casualties and I obviously beat the last mission on impossible too so I should be ok. You gotta beat the campaign 5 times anyway this just makes it more interesting.