Confused about Side-quests!

Hello guys,

So I was watching a trophy guide about Lightning returns: FFXIII.. and they did mention something about an Ultimate lair.. and you need to complete 50 sidequests to get there. However I'm so confused about these sidequests. There are 64 sidequests in the game but how many are missable? Some quests are only doable on a specific mission time (i.e. like on 2-2 you can do a side quests). How many missable sidequests are there? And can I always come back later for a sidequest or is it already gone?

Floriiss

boardquests are included and the calculation for when you've done enough is based on the difficulty rating of the quests, there's very few missable sidequests but some of them are timed so you might not be able to complete them if you start them too late. Also about 3 of them are failable (but 1 of them gives you a new quest if you fail it that grants a schema)

• Like 1

So.. there's a trophy for completing 25 side quests and 25 board quests.. If i complete these both in one playtrough it will unlock the Ultimate Lair?

In order to reach the Ultimate lair you have to make it to the 13th day. Finish the 4 main quests and do about 50+ sidequests, this should be enough to get you to the final day.

In essence, every side quest is missable but there's plenty of room to spare in case you messed up a few quests

• Like 1

Most of the Side Quests are missable while the Canvas of Prayers ones aren't because you can always go back there and finish the quest at literally any time of the day.

It's not a matter of how many quests you complete to unlock the Ultimate Lair, it's about how many stars the mission has, just focus on the Main Quests and once you're done with them all, focus on Side Quests only, some Side Quests only show up after you're done with the Main Quests of that place, others depend on the time of the day, and a few depend if you completed another Side Quest.

The Canvas of Prayers ones don't count towards the Ultimate Lair from what i've read. There are only a few Side Quests that you can fail and never complete it, the ones i remember are the guy that asks you on a date in Yusnaan, the fortune tellers in Yusnaan, Louise in Luxerion and the woman in Jagd Woods who asks you to give a guy some medicine in the Wildlands, there may be more but these are the only ones i can remember, if you fail these you'll see an X when you go to the Side Mission menu and you'll never be able to complete that mission until you start NG+ or fail the game or start a new run.

TL;DR - Don't get too frustated, spam Chronostasis and teleport if you must, on easy mode you get 4EP every time you kill a "big" monster, focus on Main Quests 1st, after you kill all the Main Quests bosses then go for Side Missions, most are missable and a few are impossible to complete if you don't "hurry up" or arrive on time. Canvas of Prayers quests don't count towards the Ultimate Lair, and if you think you're not going to make it, save on different save slots so you can "replay" a day.

• Like 1

Stars give points, a set amount of points are needed to proceed to the final day.

Canvas missions do not count towards this.

Keep in mind that some side quests only appear during a certain period of time throughout the day

• Like 1

From the official strategy guide of the game, the canvas of prayers DO count towards the total, they are just weighted far less.  I do not have the book in front of me to give the actually calculation, but 50 quests sounds reasonable.  However, doing 25 of each will not be enough as 25 canvas quests are worth much less than 25 normal quests.  If you keep up and do all the side quests that you see, and do a large number of the canvas quests as well, you should easily make it to the 13th day.

• Like 1