Have you ever created a trophy guide? and why?

bpmotard

I've finished 2 guides already and a 3rd one is awaiting review. I actually like the idea of PSNPROFILES allowing gamers, like me, write helpful guides for other players that might have trouble unlocking a trophy! I love the idea of sharing knowledge about a certain game with an unexperienced player :D. What about you, why do you write guides? For your enjoyment? To help other?

Edited by bpmotard

I wrote mine to help others, and because I had enjoyed those games and wanted others to enjoy them too. Among the hunter community, some hunters won't touch a game if they're unsure how they'll go about getting the plat. If there's no guide available, they might give it a miss. If I can help encourage them to try a game I've enjoyed by providing a trophy guide then that's a good thing IMO.

^this says it all.

Edited by Dragon-Archon

I've created a trophy guide for Batman: Arkham City and Puppeteer.

And for why? StrickenBiged already said everything I was going to say...

I wrote mine to help others, and because I had enjoyed those games and wanted others to enjoy them too. Among the hunter community, some hunters won't touch a game if they're unsure how they'll go about getting the plat. If there's no guide available, they might give it a miss. If I can help encourage them to try a game I've enjoyed by providing a trophy guide then that's a good thing IMO.

I havent. I wanted to make one for SEGA BASS FISHING because there was no guide around at the time and I dont know if there still is. For somereason however I couldnt be arsed.

You can always make one :D

P.S: WOW... you profile is flawless :o congratz on that :D

I finished my Lightning returns: Final Fantasy XIII and it is awaiting review, working on a Ni No Kuni guide because i thought this game especially needed it and no one have yet made it, gonna include all my personal experience ofcourse.

reasons i do them are; Pure enjoyment, Helping others, sharing my own experience in those games is amazing, The game doesn't have one and it deserves one/hard without a complete one, so i do them.

I have created 10 Trophy Guides and 4 DLC Guides. I also have 1 awaiting review.

I love writing guides mainly because those other guides don't have near as much info, and not important enough information for some trophies. So i always use my experiences and collaborate them into the guide to make other people's platinum journey much easier and more fun. The games i've written guides for were games most definitely ones that needed a good guide written for! Another reason is because i have nothing better to do in my spare time:P

• Like 1

I made a few german guides on trophies.de. But since english isn't my main language and I'm not that good with gramatic and words in english, I haven't thought about making some guides here on this page.

And why do I write guides? Mainly because it's fun. If I start a game, and tehre isn't a guide, I like to share what I figured out myself about the trophies and how to get them. I write the guide directly while playing the game :) 

I've wrote multiple guides, including

Watch_Dogs

Brothers

The Wolf Among Us

Red dead Redemption

Red Dead Redemption - Redeemed guide

I'm currently working on

Dark Souls step by step (i think a 'what to do next' guide would suit Dark Souls)

Abe's Oddessy (new n tasty)

I may write guides on

CounterSpy

Destiny (already have a barebones guide from the beta and alpha, using the achievements list from x360a as guidance.)

The Evil Within

I like PSNP's guide system, and have found it much more easy to use than other sites. The Mods are very helpful too (shoutout to BlindMango for his help on my Watch Dogs guide).

Other than that, StrickenBiged sums up why I enjoy writing guides very well. :)

Haven't created any on this site, but I have created roughly 100+ on Lead Example.  Mainly to help and because it gives me something to do.  It definitely also gives you more of an understanding of the game mechanics too when you work on a guide for one, I find myself a lot more dedicated to getting the platinum when writing a guide for a game.

I wrote the guide for The Last of Us, mostly the single player part while BlindMango and Lordidude did the multiplayer progression section...

I wanted to write a guide for The Last of Us simple because it is currently my favourite game of all time! Its also a dominant playstation exclusive that many people will try out, and hopefully with the help of mine and others work they will have an easier time going for that satisfying platinum! Its a great feeling to know you helped with someones enjoyment or progression of a game!

I have been meaning to get around to doing another one, and hopefully I can learn from my last guide and improve on my guide writing skills.

I've only written a trophy guide and a 100% walkthrough for Red Johnson's Chronicles: One Against All on playstationtrophies.org, nothing on the spiffy PSNP guide system yet.

Reason I wrote them is the same as most of the above posts: because I wanted to help ^^

• 7 years later...

Just Far Cry Primal, because I received it a few days early, actually really enjoyed it, and since it was a fairly straightforward plat, I thought a guide wouldn't be too difficult to write for it. It wasn't, but it was definitely still a time sink, and I honestly didn't even put tons of effort into it, but hopefully it's helped some people throughout the years.

I've always been tempted to write guides in general (not necessarily trophy guides), but there's so many factors make me very apprehensive about even attempting:

1. There's usually always someone else writing a guide for a game before me, even if the game is brand new or not even out yet. Or there's already guides out, and they're almost always comprehensive enough that I don't think there's any point for another guide. And sometimes, there's games that don't really need guides, and there's already enough info and/or videos out there for the few times you may need a little extra guidance with something specific.
  2. They're massive time sinks, and you have to often really scrutinise the games you're playing, and/or play them multiple times, in order to make sure your guide is 100% complete as possible for all the game has to offer. Which can sometimes ruin your own enjoyment (at least in my case, it often does).
  3. Even once the guide is done, your work isn't, as you'll likely still be receiving questions, corrections or other addendums to your guide. Not to mention when the game gets updates and/or DLC, you may feel the need to revisit and rework on your guide.
  4. At the end of the day, you write a guide for yourself more than anything, because you enjoy your time producing it. It's not like you get paid to do it (most of the time anyway), and while the knowledge it'll benefit others will likely be reward enough for many, the payoff for the effort and time spent may feel like they could be spent elsewhere, which is what it often boils down to for me - if I feel like doing something "productive" with my free time that isn't just general chores, I'm probably going to spend it studying Japanese language or learning about something.

I have massive respect to everyone who does dedicate their time to writing game walkthroughs and guides. Even if they write mostly for their own passion for the games, they've proven invaluable to me throughout the years. And the insanely detailed ones that cover 100% of everything the game has to offer? I can only imagine how much time and effort must go into writing those, especially for large games.