Thoughts on trophies/game?

MrToboThe1st

The new trophy for less than 15 deaths without using the architect is going to be a pain

But with multiple save slots it wont be too annoying (also with cloud saves as backups)

Besides that one trophy the games fairly easy trophy-wise...

Beat the game

Beat the remixes bosses

Best new game +

Then <15 deaths on another save slot

Estimated time to platinum around 25-30 hours depending on skill

• Like 1

Can someone tell me what this game is about?

I'm probably gonna miss a lot of stuff out, but it's a 2D action platformer, set in 4 dungeons, that're randomised each run through. When you die, you pick that characters heir, that inherits their equipment and stats. Each heir has different traits that effects gameplay, like vertigo turning the world upside down, or hypochondriac making you take much more damage.

Before you go into the dungeon you can spend all the money your previous character found in the last run to upgrade stats, and buy new equipment. To access the dungeon, you have to give all your money to the gatekeeper, meaning if you want to improve your character , you'll have to get enough gold in 1 run.

The dungeon is kinda like spelunky, where there's different zones, each zone has a boss, defeat all bosses and the final boss door unlocks. You have to build your character to be able to beat all bosses in a single run to beat the game, As they respawn.

It's a weird premise , but it works very well in motion. I'd recommend you watch a review of it on YouTube, you'd get an idea of whether the games for you or not that way.

• Like 1

I'm probably gonna miss a lot of stuff out, but it's a 2D action platformer, set in 4 dungeons, that're randomised each run through. When you die, you pick that characters heir, that inherits their equipment and stats. Each heir has different traits that effects gameplay, like vertigo turning the world upside down, or hypochondriac making you take much more damage.

Before you go into the dungeon you can spend all the money your previous character found in the last run to upgrade stats, and buy new equipment. To access the dungeon, you have to give all your money to the gatekeeper, meaning if you want to improve your character , you'll have to get enough gold in 1 run.

The dungeon is kinda like spelunky, where there's different zones, each zone has a boss, defeat all bosses and the final boss door unlocks. You have to build your character to be able to beat all bosses in a single run to beat the game, As they respawn.

It's a weird premise , but it works very well in motion. I'd recommend you watch a review of it on YouTube, you'd get an idea of whether the games for you or not that way.

I'll watch gameplay on YouTube cheers for the detailed info.

Just a few corrections. Hypochondria makes the numbers popping out of your head bigger...but you don't take more damage. So if you took 10 damage then 100 would pop out of your head.

Also you don't have to beat all bosses in 1 run. Once one has been killed, it stays dead.

I finished it yesterday. I took me something like 30 hours to plat, far from 100 hours. And i didn't play the PC version, so i wasn't aware of the gameplay before the release on PS vita.

Most of the trophies are really easy. The only challenges are the boss remixs and the 15 death run.

For the boss remix, there is no magic: you have to be perfect. You'll be trying 100 times for most of them, but since every try doesn't last more than 45 seconds, well, it is hard but not that long. Alexander and kidhr were pain in the ass, but the two other where quite easy (i defeated the bubble thing on my first try). Ponce de freon was more stressful bot not that hard.

For the 15 death run, playing on vita made the trophy a lot easier. I abused from the PS+ cloud and i did the trophy on my first try.

Trophies- A pretty decent set that fits the game fairly well.

The game itself. I hate to be that guy bitching about his purchase, so I'll keep it short. The purchase was my decision after all.

Rogue Legacy is the epitomy of monotony and mediocrity for me. The fact I got "Somniphobia" after maybe 6-8 very staggered hrs. of gameplay is testament to that. My brother told me about it some time ago, as well as a buddy. They both said the same thing- it evokes the (super) ghoul's n' ghost vibe as well as older Castlevanias.Not in my opinion. Hell, super GNG had better magic animations then this. And some of the game mechanics are just daft to me ( having to die to progress, spending $ to make sure you don't lose it, etc), defenenders of the game point these out as positives it seems, but it's just bizarre to me. Progresion via death.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow, I feel obligated to myself to at least finish the game once, seeing as it wasn't a very thrifty game at $16.99 in NA. I like the difficulty, that's not it. It feels like a chore is all, and I'm  not one that cares about completion so this one may stay at 14/30 trophies.

With all that aside, I can see why it's very popular. Just a tad overhyped and vastly over-rated by critics. The staggering amount of awards it won in 2013 is beyond me, I just don't see it.

Edited by Big_Blue_Tree
  • Like 1

Well I warmed up a bit to the game, still stand by most of my prev. post, other then "epitomy", which is not a word. This game could of benefitted from more diverse BGM instead of the same 30 sec. loops for the 4 areas, havig to find a jukebox to play "poot-yan" or the the whale and the fish is annoying.

Is there any special ending to NG+ or just the same old? Either way I'll go after the neo bosses likely, those there follow the trope of "nintendo hard".  Decent game. but shoddy "story". Has enough redeming factors though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i really genuinely enjoyed this game and would highly recommend it to old school gamers and nostalgic rpg gamers. really this game is for anyone. the main challenge for me was the remix bosses. when u first start the game, play to enjoy on your first couple playthroughs, on your first playthrough, knock out the remix bosses before fighting the final boss. the more you die, the more you try, the better u get. oh and when going for the less than 15 deaths trophy, just get ready to back up your saves. i did it in 8 deaths, on my 9th character. and i had two or three lives that were wasted. so i could've done a lot better with using a lot lesss lives. its easy once u get the hang of it, and you've played through a couple times or so. great game tho. if they have a sequel or they do another similar project, i will be playing that as well

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I think it's an okay game. It falls short when it comes to the music and there is a lack of movement physics. The graphics are alright. The overall gameplay and enemy design is great. Overall, great idea for a game but not amazingly executed. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Edited by ConcealedFirearm

I think it's an okay game. It falls short when it comes to the music and there is a lack of movement physics. The graphics are alright. The overall gameplay and enemy design is great. Overall, great idea for a game but not amazingly executed. I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Ehm... yeah, because the game is supposed to be played with limited options just like the old Metroid and Castlevania games. Everything in those games is about pure skill, trial and error, learning attack patterns and dodging enemy attacks with, maybe limited, but precice controlls.

• 3 weeks later...

Disagree. The music is freaking awesome!! I give it a 8.5/10 because it's what an old school guy like me wants more of in modern day games (hotline miami, rainbow moon, lone survivor, etc.) but for the mainstream average joe I'd say it's an 8 if it isn't up your alley

I really liked it. 

I don't know what people mean by the controls not being precise, out of all the platoformers i've played in recent memory this one had the tightest controls by far, even though the pogo attack was way too hard to pull off.

Story was alright, nothing spectacular, i doubt anyone played this for the story anyway.

Level design was good, although the randomly generated castle made some runs way too easy and some way too hard. Also every room becomes bullet hell from NG++ onward.

Graphics did the job alright. I think the retro style has been a bit overdone lately, but it worked for this game.

Music was sweet. Esspecially boss fight music.

Trophies were fun to get, very little grinding for the most part.

Overall i'd give it an 8/10

Controls are anything but precise in this game.

Agreed. Hate to try a little hop and hit my head on the ceiling or spikes. Makes no-damage challenges harder than they actually are.

Also, attacking while moving, what a piece of crap. It's very hard to hit the opposite side that you are walking to, you need to stop and face the said side for .3 before you can actually launch the attack in the direction you want (unless you are FLEXIBLE, which rarely happens, but makes the game much more enjoyable to play), specially when facing Ponce REMIX boss. Also, why there is this stupid delay to attack? Seriously, when I press the attack button, I want an instant attack, not a .2~.3  delay before the attack goes boom. Got damaged so much because I love to play dangerously and attack at the very last second (MGR:R), but this game mechanic simply breaks the way I like to play.

Game is awesome, but those 2 things hinder my further enjoyment of this nearly masterpiece.

EDIT: Got my platinum, 15 deaths didn't bother me as I knew it was easily doable with reloading and restarting.

Edited by TheYuriG