The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

Hey all

Just an idea for a fun thread.

We've had "Your most underrated game" but I thought the opposite could be an interesting place for discussion.

I'll start:

I have never enjoyed the Sonic games. And I mean the original, SEGA Genesis offerings that everyone seems to think were awesome and "oh, why can't SEGA just go back to making those again..."

The main problem for me is that Sonic goes too fast. "But that's the point" I hear you protest. Well, is it? Because whenever I've tried to play it, the level design has never seemed conducive to a "fast" game. There are lots of branching pathways and traps, which seem to promote a slower, more cautious approach. But when you try and go slow and treat it like a platformer, it feels clunky and awkward. Sonic is constantly chomping at the bit, trying to go faster, and accelerating to a full sprint after just a few seconds of holding the directions on the pad, which means that you have to keep stopping and starting again if you want to take the level slowly and explore for secrets.

Even the bits on which you can go fast are dull. All those loop-de-loops, etc, don't require your input beyond simply holding down the direction button. You aren't actually playing anything during these sections, you're simply travelling along a rail.

On a narrative level, it just doesn't seem to make sense. So Dr Robotnik's plan is to take over the world with animals trapped inside robots... ok, why exactly does he need the little animals? Do they control the robots? If so, why put a rabbit inside a fish robot? Wouldn't the little rabbit just make the fish robot look for carrots? So maybe the robot controls the rabbit... ok, but then why bother with the rabbit at all? Are they a fuel source?... but then why does the rabbit hop out all healthy and happy once you destroy the robot? I don't get it...

It seems to me that SEGA just wanted a character to go up against Mario in the great SNES vrs Genesis war. Sonic got picked, and that is why people remember him fondly, because they had a Genesis rather than a SNES and they naturally attached to their mascot.

And do I really need to go into the latest Sonic games to drive home my point?

OK, that's me done. What games or series do you think are overrated and why?

• Like 3

Call of Duty would be an easy answer of course since they've been making the same game for last five years or so. Battlefield seems to have taken the same course after BF3. Anyhow I'd say Infamous. They get boring extremely quick since it's just repeating exactly the same kind of missions one after another.

• Like 1

Battlefield 4 game (not series) - I find the game to be very boring after completing campaign and the multi. 

Call of Duty Black Ops 1, 2, and Call of Duty Ghosts (not full series) - No brainer

Killzone Shadow Fall game (not series) -  I was a huge fan on the PS3, but I don't know why. I can't get into the game neither the campaign

Sly (series)played it back on PS2 and found it so boring, 

Cod and Battlefield series both very overrated apart from Bad Company which is actually good

Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts never got into JRPG'S and personally can't see why they so interesting

Edited by Jarethgeason
  • Like 1

The most overrated game for me is The Last of Us

^ THIS!!! It's a good game but good grief, I hear people call this "The Greatest Game of All Time". Its far from that imo. The story definately has depth but it plays like your standard survival horror/stealth game.

Series: All military shooters. Gosh, I get sick of seeing the yearly entries of these...

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 4

Halo. Played 3 at friends an didn't like it

3 was the first Halo game I played, and I quite enjoyed it personally. I have to say that I did enjoy the MP on Halos 3 and Reach. I liked the way that the MP was fairly balanced, and everyone started on a level playing field, leading to skirmishes for the best weapons and control points on the maps. Far better than, e.g. CoD, where veteran players can dominate with the best weapons.

Killzone Shadow Fall game (not series) -  I was a huge fan on the PS3, but I don't know why. I can't get into the game neither the campaign

I agree. SF is my first foray into the Killzone series, and it didn't even grab me enough to complete the campaign. I might go back to it someday now that they've patched in some additional checkpoints, which might make it easier for me...

Assassin's Creed III

I felt the gameplay was slower and the story was all over the place. I didn't feel like an assassin until halfway through the game :(

Did anyone say that this was a good game though? I think most people agree that it's easily the worst in the series and I don't know if it's "overrated"...

• Like 2