The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

Persona 5. Sure the visuals and music are great and the story is pretty good - though filled with pretentious teen problems. But the gameplay is just boring and tedious. Some dungeons were annoying and I really loathed the Mementos. Can't bring myself to a second playthrough to get the platinum. Persona 4 Golden was a better game.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:
  1. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2) - I could deal with Kojima's excesses on MGS and MGS2, because I really enjoyed the gameplay. But when I picked up MGS3 on day 1, I was shocked at just how much I hated it. The game really touted its camouflage system, but for me, with the archaic top-down view, I couldn't see anything but grass. Seriously, I couldn't even get out of the first bit of the game, because I'd get eaten by a gator that I couldn't see, etc. I hated that game. Playing its later iteration on the PS3, a lot was improved, but it still fell far short for me from the fun of MGS, the silliness of MGS2, or the "let's put a bit of every game ever!" excesses of MGS4. And to this day, I've STILL never figured out CQC, and this is despite having completed the game on the PS3.
  2. Tim Schafer - What, he's not a game? Well, he gets his own listing, because he's TERRIBLE. Seriously, a relic that should be put in a museum, his games are the pits, and the idea that people still think anything of him is amazing to me.

The clear answer should be (4), but since we're talking games here, I'm going to go with (3). It wins a tight one with RDR, but at least I managed to finish the original release of RDR. By comparison, I didn't even find my first human base on the PS2 version of MGS3, and never really wanted to.

Haha MGS3 is the only Talentless Hackima's game I have managed to complete, the wooden controls and the autistic dialogues and cutscenes are so offputting, I have to roll my eyes every time I see someone praising his game. I don't know how MGS2 can even be played because you literally can't see more than 10 meters ahead of you while the enemies see you, and that in a freaking stealth game! I can't believe how overrated he is, Tim Schafer is an innocent baby in comparison with his 3th grade humor and absurd puzzles.

Edited by lettmon
  • Like 2

I wanna say GTA, but I never played one single game of the series because I've watched my friends play, and it looks boring af.

To be fair, I'll go with Witcher 3. It's a fuckin mess overclogged with systems. Yea, combat can be fun, but not when you need to dump 10+hrs to understand all of it. What about the UI? Wtf was that, I need a lecture to understand my inventory. It's the same mess of AC Origins/Odyssey with useless random items, but Ubisoft had better UI designers. I wanna finish TW3, but everytime I open my inventory, I also wanna stab my eyes.

I honesty get why people think this is the game of the generation, but everytime I've read "Let's Play Gwent", I thought "Finally something fun"

On 11/9/2019 at 9:22 PM, AFRising said:

Someone dared to say it, and I agree.

Uncharted is nothing special, I think. It's of course a fun and well-polished game that was a blast to play, but nothing I'd call best game ever or even game of the year material. I haven't played A Thief's End yet, but even then... Do I have to go through three whole games before I can appreciate what it supposedly promises to deliver on the fourth installment? Meh.

The Last of Us too. Whenever I say I find TLoU overrated, people will call me out and say I'm implying the game is complete crap. Of course not; don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful game storywise and its graphics are very good too. Aside from that though, it's pretty average in everything else - not that it's necessarily a bad thing. But to say it's the absolute greatest game ever made in the history of mankind (and a lot of people say that)... It's not even the best game on PS3, let alone the best game ever.

Obviously, people are free to disagree. To each their own.

There will be vague story-related spoilers for Uncharted 4, nothing very specific, lengthy, or heavy, though.

A Thief's End is an overall unnecessary installment—that overstays its presence—in terms of both story and gameplay, between the former being built on an obtrusive retcon, while the gameplay desperately introduces overdue mechanics that should have been included earlier in the series, a lot of which come straight out of the recent at the time Tomb Raider games. Even worse for the story it gives no damn and commits to itself anyway, which because of it the cast suffers in terms of variety and screen time (among other things), resulting in the game, including flashbacks, mostly revolving around Nathan and Sam.

The aforementioned new gameplay mechanics are then underutilized (outside the grappling hook which at least and best, is often enough required for basic traversal, despite the mechanic's existence itself being inconsistent and a kick-to-the-face to series' veterans like myself) and fail to make the game more fun because of the excessive, pervasive 'paddy' climbing sections (including the dull mandatory pull-push-climb-onto crates mechanic taken straight out The Last of Us) that plague the whole game... even moreso than any prior installments.

Uncharted 3 was (and still is) a good and more than satisfying ending for the series, notably in terms of character development and actual story (especially considering how it comes full circle entirely, which U4 tries to replicate and one up U3 on but fails to do so because unlike Sam, Sully isn't an asspull who makes his first official debut physically and informatively five 'whole' installments later with sudden backstory/relationship ties to the main character and who's existence is now responsible for both Nathan's entire motivation and some pre-characterization from even before the first game). The game is still Nathan's and Sully's peak, too, not U4.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is the much shorter game compared to U4, but it does utilize some of those Tomb Raider gameplay aspects better (even if only slightly), has much less padding—less walking simulator sections, completely non-existent "pull-push-climb-atop-crate" sections after its first and last appearance, etc—and focuses on characters (Chloe, Nadine) who hadn't received that much character development prior, unlike characters such as Nathan and Sully who already has in installments prior to U4 (, and as a bonus has better set-pieces). Although, I can't ignore the fact, however, that Chloe has done little to nothing after her debut game, including being absent entirely in U4, while Nadine is simply underdeveloped in her debut game (U4), so ND and UTLL had almost fresh characters to work with, which is why the two lead characters in UTLL aren't stale, unlike Nathan and co. in U4.

"Do I have to go through three whole games before I can appreciate what is supposedly promised to deliver in the fourth game?" Short answer: No. Cutting back on the long version, because there's enough text here as is.

Agree with most of what you said. I like and enjoy the Uncharted series and The Last of Us more than I typically let on, and they certainly do some things good (something I can actually admit despite not being as fond of the games as others, unlike people who dislike a game/series and proceed to call it complete trash), it's just they're not as great games as they're claimed to be. Some praise is reasonable, and some just simply is not.

Edited by EcoShifter

On 11/11/2019 at 8:58 PM, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

''Souls'' games. Who ever thought it was fun to have extremely hard bosses where you die if you get hit twice and have save point so far off that you can lose hours of progress if you die.

Nobody likes to have wasted time and have no progress.

To make matters worse, every game nowadays seem to borrow something from the ''souls'' games and have ruined some good series. (looking at you Darksiders 3 and even God of War 2018)

Because of the ''souls'' games my favorite genre has been killed off, namely the God of War 3 clones. There were alot of them on ps3 like: Dante's Inferno, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Darksiders 1 and 2, Asura's Wrath, etc. but they dont seem to exist anymore on ps4.

Hope this trend of everything has to be like ''souls'' dies off soon because i dont want that bullshit in my favorite games.

Also dont like how it looks, so generic and dark.

I find what you described in the first paragraph to be a positive. Everything in the game is a learning curve. You need to bash your head against the metaphorical wall until you learn the enemies attack patterns and can push their shit in with next to no effort. I find it cathartic to finally beat that boss/enemy that was giving me grief because it was so difficult. In that case, you're always making progress because you're always learning. It's certainly not everyone's bag of crisps, and that's fine.

I absolutely agree with your second point though. The act of cramming in "Soulslike" elements is always done poorly, given the gimmick of "let's throw in popular stuff from elsewhere" regardless of how well (or not) it meshes.

• Like 1

Overrated game series for me, Final Fantasy.

Now don't get me wrong, Final Fantasy 7 is my most favourite game of all time, 8 was ok and 9 was great, oh and Final Fantasy Tactics but after that, it's kind of like I feel there is something missing.

And Square these days they just stick the name "Final Fantasy" onto everything to make it sell, crappy smart phone games included.

I loved Final Fantasy 7 as is had a cool story, awesome characters but more importantly it was a ROLE PLAYING GAME, and reminded me a lot of combat from old skool battlers like The Bards Tale.

I can't help but feel "Final Fantasy" as a RPG concept has lost it's way. I mean Final Fantasy 15 is basically a fighting game but with some RPG elements, not that it's a bad game, but to me it's no longer Final Fantasy, it's something else. I hate it when people out there blindly love all Final Fantasy games, even if they're shit.
Final Fantasy is no longer a series but more like a brand, like Apple.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, awf9495 said:

Topic should be renamed to "Let me tell you why that game you love actually sucks".

But that's exactly what "overrated" means. Everyone loves a game. You don't. Thus, you tell them why it sucks.

9 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Overrated game series for me, Final Fantasy.

This was nearly my pick as well.

• Like 2

F.E.A.R. 3 is one that left me mildly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it isn't totally bad, and in fact it's still fairly playable. They even got Nathan Grigg to work on the soundtrack one more time, and that's good. The problem is that it does not quite feel like a true installment of the series, probably because Monolith didn't make it. It is rather sparing with the scares compared to the previous two titles of the series. If you're going to do a F.E.A.R. game, you need to bring that FEAR to it. Some of the "challenges" that you score points for are a bit lame, like "Sir Camp-A-Lot" which requires staying in cover for 200 seconds or more. At least there are some good ones like "The Killer" (50 kills in a row) and "Godlike" (20 kills with no damage taken).

Call of Duty is kind of a mixed bag for me. WW II? Nope, not again. I'm jaded with historic World War themed FPS, which is why I never really bothered with Battlefield 1 or V. Those that are rather different like Black Ops I/II/III, Advanced Warfare, and Infinite Warfare did get my interest. The sci-fi and futuristic elements really freshen these up IMO. If EA does try a futuristic Battlefield, I might think about it. I'll probably wait a bit on Modern Warfare '19.

Borderlands, easily. I like the dialogue and all, it's funny, but to me that's really the only thing going for it. I played 1, 2, and Pre-Sequel, and I can never bring myself to finish them because they're all just so long and boring. Every fight is just "use ult and shoot" over and over and over again. I don't know how people put hundreds of hours into this shit.

With the way the western AAA industry is going the better question would be what game from an AAA studio isn't overrated nowadays.

They all are, that's what they rely on

Indie wise Undertale is heavily, heaaaavily overrated. Yeah, le big artsy face and all of that shit, meta here meta there I get it okay. I get it. It's fine, it's okay. But it's not even remotely close to the masterpiece people make it out to be.