The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

On 12/11/2019 at 3:53 AM, Thinger95 said:

To be fair, I'll go with Witcher 3. It's a fuckin mess over clogged with systems. Yea, combat can be fun, but not when you need to dump 10+hrs to understand all of it. What about the UI? Wtf was that, I need a lecture to understand my inventory. It's the same mess of AC Origins/Odyssey with useless random items, but Ubisoft had better UI designers. I wanna finish TW3, but every time I open my inventory, I also wanna stab my eyes.

I honesty get why people think this is the game of the generation, but every time I've read "Let's Play Gwent", I thought "Finally something fun"

I have to agree with you for The Witcher 3 and for pretty much the same reasons. I've restarted the game at least 3 times to try to understand what is going on with all the magic etc. I've even forgotten and just cannot get my head around it all. It's a game I desperately wish I had bought as a physical copy so I could trade it in. Not too sure about the AC games you mention as I haven't played myself but what I have seen of Odyssey it looks like it could be fun.

A couple of others to chuck in there I'm not sure if this first is, and It's another I bought off the PS Store rather than physical; Fallout 4. I don't want to use that word boring, but frankly that's how it is.

The other is God of War (PS4 not the old ones). Throwing the axe and having it return whilst slicing through the enemies is about as fun and satisfying as it gets for me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few entries I was thinking of, which I find to be overrated. Meaning they don't deserve the huge amounts of credit they get.

Gone Home: Should have stayed home. Everybody acted like this game revolutionized storytelling in gaming. I thought it was an interesting game, but the payoff was weak. I was expecting something much more impactful. This was absolutely not worth the €20 it costs. And I'm very happy I experienced it for free with Plus. There are much better games out there which tackle philosophical and delicate themes much more effectively.

Fortnite: This shouldn't even need an introduction, or much explanation. Context matters, so let me preface this by saying that it is a good entry threshold for people who have never gamed before (including children). But it is not a great game at all, and it certainly does not deserve to be hailed as one of the best titles ever made, or to produce the ludicrous stream of cash that it does. It is mostly just a digital commercial platform nowadays to knock extra bucks out of kids. If you've never played games, play Fortnite. Get a grasp on some of the mechanics. Good. Then move on to better things, for the love of God.

Some of the other entries I see here, do baffle me. I can understand not everyone has the broad taste that I (or others) have. And I get why some people would find something overrated, thinking it's still good, but not mindblowing. But actively hating on some of the classics that I've seen being mentioned, just renders me speechless.

My top 3 overrated series are

1) Halo

Generic shooter, no real character development and the gameplay is extremely repetitive after 15 minutes (point, shoot, repeat, no strategy or thinking required for different encounters). Add a non Halo skin and it could be one of hundreds of cookie cutter games. Play one game in the series and you've basically played them all.

2) All Sports series (NHL, NFL, FIFA, etc)

Obviously sports don't change, so gameplay will stay the same. That being said the only real differences every year seem to be the rosters and sometimes, graphics. Create a character story/Franchise modes are almost non existent, in terms of story or development and offer nothing to the player.

3) God of War

Another generic series that recycles the same boring combat, then copies re skinned but identical mechanics from other games, as the series ages. Relies on blood and guts for shock value, instead of developing unique storylines (revenge story, then a quasi passing of the torch sequel, not like it hasn't been done a million times over...) or innovative gameplay. 

I just received Kingdom Hearts 3 during Black Friday, it's not as bad as the previous ones but the serie is really horrible. No difficulty, spamming X like an idiot, there was a crazy potential with all Disney stars but they just picked few random ones. Boring and tasteless. 100%ing KH1 on PS3 was a pain and yet i love JRPGs.

Shenmue is also crap, to me. I finished it on Dreamcast, then on Xbox 1, then the Remaster on PS4, it was always bad. The animation and controls are terrible and the story of the first 2 games are like the prologue of an Uncharted game. I recently got my hands on Shenmue 3, it's garbage. Still the same problems, still the same ugly graphics considering it's 2019 and still a poor story....

Couple of years ago, i would have said Resident Evil, since 4,5 and 6 are trash. But after 100%ing the Remaster of RE1, RE2 and RE7, it made up for the bad episodes.

For me it'll be Final Fantasy 7. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of the Final Fantasy series & understand that it was some peoples first game they played from the series but find that it's far to over rated, there are games in the series & other games in general that deserve better recognition.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Zelda

Wow i honestly cant say ive ever liked any game in the series. The characters are flat and boring, the concepts just dont work with me. I know people love it but to me its painful.  The fanbase also is one of the most toxic ive seen. 

2. Mario

I hate platformers. Sonic, Crash, Jak, Rayman and the rest, can all do one as well. Mario is the oldest so he can have the (dis)honour. I understand what he's done for the industry but any sort of mascot based platformers are creatively lazy in my eyes. (I like cart racers though va va voooom)

3. Halo

Yeah it had good multiplayer back in the day. But it doesnt have that now. The story is boring and always has been, the shooting isn't fun. Everything else about it screams boring. Its not red vs blue. Its grey vs grey. 

• Like 1

This is an easy one Souls games, while i love the aesthetic, monster designs and the music those controls are just terrible. They are sluggish and clunky and they were designed that way to give the "learning curve" and difficulty. If not for the controls I would have loved the games even my friends that love the Souls games have told me that they do not like the controls for the same reasons. I know it is possible to make controls that are methodical while being smooth and fluid but Souls did not succeed. I did not play Dark Souls 3 so this is only based on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1/2.

Resident Evil 2 Re-Imagined is also overrated IMO, as a game it is good but as RE 2 it is very lacking. More than 50% (the entire B scenario, weapons and monsters) of the game was removed to "streamline things" and characters were massively altered to be unrecognizable. If the game had been given a different name nobody would have know it was a Re-Imagining of RE 2. i did enjoy the game but I viewed it like RE 6 just an action game not a RE game and before anyone ask No i do not care that the camera was changed as I can easily play Fixed or OTS.

Edited by Void
  • Like 4

Honestly the term overrated doesn't really mean anything since it's solely based on opinions and opinions can't be wrong even if you don't agree with them. Just play what you want to play. Love is love.

Having said that, a game, soon to be a series, that I could never get into was Nioh. Big fan of the souls-borne games, but all of the games that it inspired, like Nioh/Salt and Sanctuary/etc never really clicked with me.

Edited by ChunkyKong64

For me, Halo. So much hype, and I really tried to get into it, but bounced off the series both on Xbox and 360. The combat did not seem evolved at all, just really floaty and lacking impact. Maybe the later ones got better though.

Hard on its heels now is Elder Scrolls. Fantastic up to Morrowind, but everything after has been a level scaling mess with no real engaging story (at least Halo was a bit better in that respect).

Edited by thefourfoldroot
  • Like 1

i’d have to say uncharted or assassins creed. played a little bit of assassins creed and found it so hard to play and understand. and i played through all of one uncharted game and found the story boring. i do plan on giving uncharted another go eventually because so many people love it

Uncharted and Halo. They are pretty much equal to me - boring bare bones gameplay, the shooting in the games is so boring, the story is meh at best. After so much hype that I heard and read about Uncharted I thought this was some incredible s*it and then when I played the remasters I was like - well this is not that big deal of a game, nothing impressive storywise or gamewise.

• Like 1

The witcher is very over rated on my opinion. One and twos camera wasnt great when I try to play them on pc a few years back before 3 out and three just looks like a really long uninteresting and white game which doesnt really make me want to get it...

Edited by revilo44
Added in more info
  • Like 1

For me, it's The Last of Us. The game had an incredible story, but in my opinion, it suffered from poor game play, a lackluster ending and tacked on MP where one button did everything.

Poor game play: Look, I realize Joel is supposed to be old, but the dude moves like molasses. The same game play is used in MP. Characters can't jump for crap first of all. My friend said it best after he ran out of stamina after only a few seconds: "If the characters weren't so fucking fat and out of shape..." For an apocalypse, one would think people would be in better condition...

Lackluster ending: They sacrificed what could have been a great ending with the obligatory "we can make a sequel!" and that's exactly what they did.

Tacked on MP: When the game launched, there were two game modes and both pretty much sucked. Then they added Interrogation and I'll admit, that was damn fun. And while my friends and I played it often from 2013-2016, it's like the devs decided to make one button do everything. Shiv was :triangle: but so was reviving teammates. If you smoked an enemy who was about to interrogate a downed teammate and then you went to shiv interrogate them, you'd begin reviving your teammate instead. :shakefist:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, revilo44 said:

The witcher is very over rated on my opinion. One and twos camera wasnt great when I try to play them on pc a few years back before 3 out and three just looks like a really long uninteresting and white game which doesnt really make me want to get it...

Never played 1 or 2 but I did very much enjoy 3. Combat not too great but everything else was brilliant. Definitely recommend giving it a go.

Edited by thefourfoldroot

On 11/24/2019 at 1:04 PM, Dreakon13 said:

Is there really such thing as an overrated game/series?  To say a game is overrated, is to say there's a reason why the people who like it are wrong... which is silly.  They aren't wrong for liking what they like, or popular opinion is wrong because it's different than yours.

I mean, I don't like The Witcher 3 much at all.  I usually end up bailing at the same point every time I try.  As soon as the story starts diving a little too deep into the lore of the world, I realize I couldn't possibly care less about anything they're saying... the characters, the towns/regions, the politics... it's all really, really uninteresting to me.  But that doesn't mean the hype for the game is unwarranted, or that it's "overrated".  That's just my personal preference.

Even the Call of Duty's or whatever.  If people like them and play them, there's probably a reason for it.  Who are we to say their enthusiasm is incorrect.

/thread