The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

On 3.12.2019 at 3:28 PM, VigilantCrow said:

3) God of War

Another generic series that recycles the same boring combat, then copies re skinned but identical mechanics from other games, as the series ages. Relies on blood and guts for shock value, instead of developing unique storylines (revenge story, then a quasi passing of the torch sequel, not like it hasn't been done a million times over...) or innovative gameplay. 

Do yourself a favor and play the latest entry of God of War. What you describe is true up until the point when Ascension came out but not when looking at the latest game. Not at all.

• Like 1

'Over-rated' means decent games that are treated like masterpieces either through developer/franchise pedigree or its cult legacy. These definitely constitute as such in my mind.

MGSV: The Phantom Pain

As a whole I love MGS and Kojima games in general - I personally thought Death Stranding was spectacular, and I'm extremely glad it exists. I would equate Kojima games to pizza - even those that aren't the best are still pretty damn good. MGSV has fun gameplay in the same way the whole series does and has some brilliant quality of life improvements. If you're a "gameplay is king" person, you'll love this game. However, it feels pretty soulless to me. It's basically just a stealth gameplay sandbox without any of the other elements that make me love the series. Part of this is due to the bitter divorce between Kojima and Konami, so I get it, but it's treated as one of the best games of the generation and to me, that's a laughable premise. 

Undertale

It's a good solid game, and I won't be too harsh on it as the fact it's made by 1 person is very impressive; I also liked the workarounds to combat through peaceful options. However, a 94% overall on OpenCritic seems ridiculous to me. I didn't like the world design and the game felt very disconnected from area to area. I also found that it tried TOO hard to be funny at times. Idk, it didn't resonate with me very much, it was just a decent indie game for me. Cue the pitchforks...

• Like 1

Honestly I understand not liking the souls series, it's your opinion, but I find it strange how  people say there are thousands of souls clones, I'd really want to play them tbh but what are they?

Nioh was in development years before even Demon's Souls

Salt and Sanctuary I guess  but it's an indie low budget game

Lords of the Fallen and the Surge, sure but I'd say  it's more due to the devs being fixated (on the wrong aspects)  on it.

Vampyr? Not really 

The latest Star Wars? It's kinda stretchy but ok. What else is there? It's a far cry from what Cod did to the fps genre and GTA for the open world.

On topic: the Resident Evil series, only played 5 and watched a friend play 4 more than a decade ago, I don't want to watch someone younger and fitter than me drawing and using a knife/ gun so fucking slowly and clunky  all the time.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Only because it was in development hell and was completely scrapped and re-designed from the ground up several times. From 2004 until 2012 they barely even knew what they wanted the game to be -- it was just "their next game" that they kept scrapping and re-working it until they decided to make it Souls-like in 2012 or so (3 years *after* Demon's Souls came out). Team Ninja didn't even join the game's development until 2010 -- it wasn't even an action RPG prior to that (source), let alone a Souls-like.

Anyway, in addition to the games you listed, some other recent Souls-likes are:

Hell, even Darksiders 3 went pretty Souls-like at first, until they patched classic combat back in.

Edited by NathanielJohn

7 hours ago, sk_lp_him said:

Uncharted and Halo. They are pretty much equal to me - boring bare bones gameplay, the shooting in the games is so boring, the story is meh at best. After so much hype that I heard and read about Uncharted I thought this was some incredible s*it and then when I played the remasters I was like - well this is not that big deal of a game, nothing impressive storywise or gamewise.

I didn't really enjoy the remasters either, however Uncharted 4 is on a different level. Insane graphics, great storyline and a great final piece: this game had it all. Even some great trophies or little easter eggs, like playing Crash Bandicoot at the start and end. Very enjoyable and I got the platinum for it too since you can glitch the annoying speedrun/difficulty trophies + replayability through chapter/encounter select is very handy. If you haven't played Uncharted 4 yet, you definitely should.

• Like 1

I'll answer the main question too: for me all Telltale games are overrated. There are so many reused patterns: for example you have to make a choice between supporting one of two people: the one you support will become your friend, the other your villain. This happens even when it doesn't make any sense, like the Guardians of the Galaxy game: why are Rocket and Gamorra constantly fighting? Doesn't really happen in the movies (is also by far the worst Telltale game out of the bunch, needed better writing and polishing). This is just one of the patterns they use to force you to make decisions. At the end of every episode, there is usually also a plot twist that you can see coming from miles away.

Don't get me wrong, they're still decent games and I've enjoyed/played most of them (still have to play The Wolf Among Us). Most of them I played for free through PS+ anyways. The fact is that they're severely overrated: they're marketed as these 'choose your own story' games but in the end if you go throught the wiki's, your choices generally don't have a huge impact. They use other franchises so they can use their popularity to sell games: it's kind of lazy. I remember the excitement when I first played The Walking Dead and it gave the classic line "The story is tailored by your choice" (first season of TWD is still their best IMO). Finding out afterwards that your choices are pretty much meaningless is kind of disappointing. Game of Thrones game is by far the worst offender on this front: the entire beginning when you play is the young lord you make choices and they don't matter because 

Spoiler

you die anyways. Ramsay Bolton always kills you, no matter what you pick. I didn't watch Game of Thrones before playing this game so I wasn't familiar with him or any other characters. Quite disappointing that Ramsay is just a ruthless psychopath who can't be reasoned with, but easy for them so there aren't as many storylines.

I will always prefer games like Heavy Rain, Detroit: Become Human and Until Dawn. All story driven games where choices actually matter and replayibility is insane. Much better than Telltale, which is why they went bankrupt I guess. However, I'm still excited for The Wolf Among Us 2: a new team, using a new 'built-from-the-ground-up' engine and a sequel to one of their own IP's. If they butcher this game, they're doomed to go bankrupt again: everything seems to be in their favor. Hope they do something about those main issues I pointed out though.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 1:58 AM, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

''Souls'' games. Who ever thought it was fun to have extremely hard bosses where you die if you get hit twice and have save point so far off that you can lose hours of progress if you die.

Nobody likes to have wasted time and have no progress.

I never feel like I make no progress in a souls game. Lol you lost hours of progress? The save points are a few minutes away I wouldn't say you lose hours of progress, a few mins maybe. if you actually have a decent build and actually know how to play you won't get killed in one hit. Idk a lot of these things you mentioned can be solved by learning how to play.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, thefinalboss_666 said:

if you actually have a decent build and actually know how to play you won't get killed in one hit. Idk a lot of these things you mentioned can be solved by learning how to play.

Typical "le git gud" post from a Dark Souls fan, really makes you think huh.... ? Maybe he didn't learn how to play because the game punishes you for making mistakes by taking away your souls, respawning all the enemies and making you lose several minutes of progress? Not to mention the invasions..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Never played 1 or 2 but I did very much enjoy 3. Combat not too great but everything else was brilliant. Definitely recommend giving it a go.

Not surprising that you haven't played the first two. The first was PC exclusive with very dated game play and graphics. The second branched out to last gen 360. That said, I highly recommend both for their story. I got a gaming PC last year just to play the first two and loved both. Even began delving into various mods as I double dipped and got 3 again on PC as well.

As to anyone having difficulty with combat, I recommend Whirl and Rend (third tiers under Fast and Strong attacks). Both are OP. My friend laughed as he watched me play because he thought I was cheesing the enemy on Death March difficulty. They're so OP, you can take out the six nightmares from the Hearts of Stone DLC simultaneously in two minutes on Death March with the right build. Saw a video on YouTube and tried it myself. It's the only way I face them now.

6 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

Do yourself a favor and play the latest entry of God of War. What you describe is true up until the point when Ascension came out but not when looking at the latest game. Not at all.

Oh yes, and God of war (the new one). Can't comment on the older ones, although they look more fun. I tried God of War as it was free on PS Now, and I still begrudge the time investment I put into this snoozefest.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pirelli913 said:

Not surprising that you haven't played the first two. The first was PC exclusive with very dated game play and graphics. The second branched out to last gen 360. That said, I highly recommend both for their story. I got a gaming PC last year just to play the first two and loved both. Even began delving into various mods as I double dipped and got 3 again on PC as well.

As to anyone having difficulty with combat, I recommend Whirl and Rend (third tiers under Fast and Strong attacks). Both are OP. My friend laughed as he watched me play because he thought I was cheesing the enemy on Death March difficulty. They're so OP, you can take out the six nightmares from the Hearts of Stone DLC simultaneously in two minutes on Death March with the right build. Saw a video on YouTube and tried it myself. It's the only way I face them now.

Does anyone have difficulty with the combat? I got the enemies to kill each other mostly as I found the combat boring. Then I just finished off the stragglers.

6 hours ago, scemopagliaccioh said:

Honestly I understand not liking the souls series, it's your opinion, but I find it strange how  people say there are thousands of souls clones, I'd really want to play them tbh but what are they?

Nioh kind of just got grouped into the soulsborne games because it came out after them regardless when it started development. As far as there being thousands of clones, I'm not sure about thousands but you can't argue that Demon/Dark Souls didn't inspire a new genre for a while.. That genre is slowly fading now, and I think the only real big name in that genre now (besides from software) are the people making The Surge games.

8 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

Only because it was in development hell and was completely scrapped and re-designed from the ground up several times. From 2004 until 2012 they barely even knew what they wanted the game to be -- it was just "their next game" that they kept scrapping and re-working it until they decided to make it Souls-like in 2012 or so (3 years *after* Demon's Souls came out). Team Ninja didn't even join the game's development until 2010 -- it wasn't even an action RPG prior to that (source), let alone a Souls-like.

Anyway, in addition to the games you listed, some other recent Souls-likes are:

Hell, even Darksiders 3 went pretty Souls-like at first, until they patched classic combat back in.

Huh, didn't know about Nioh's restructuring. Disagree with Darksiders 3,  I platted it and  find the battle system similiar to Darksiders2 and it puts a lot of importance to mobility  something that the souls series highly lacks,  it would be closer to DMC/old GOW. Haven't started Hollow Knight yet, but the fact that it's 2d rather than 3d  and that the dev said he never played the souls series before    makes me think it's not really "soulslike", regardless it's a package of indies  and Code Vein which, while not indie it's still a  niche  game, so I still don't believe the souls series had that much of  an impact.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Oh yes, and God of war (the new one). Can't comment on the older ones, although they look more fun. I tried God of War as it was free on PS Now, and I still begrudge the time investment I put into this snoozefest.

Well, tastes I guess but I was quoting his statement:

"Another generic series that recycles the same boring combat, then copies re skinned but identical mechanics from other games, as the series ages. Relies on blood and guts for shock value, instead of developing unique storylines (revenge story, then a quasi passing of the torch sequel, not like it hasn't been done a million times over...) or innovative gameplay." And this is simply wrong.

The latest part did not recycle the same boring combat. It created a new and versatile fighting mechanic only for this game which has nothing in common with the other parts. It also didn't copy "identical" mechanics from other games or "reskinned" them. The gore and shock value wasn't even on the same level as part 3, which was way too over the top. Also, no unique storyline? Please. It is also no revenge story in the beginning. The statements are just plain wrong and have nothing to do with a different opinion.

Btw. every story across all media has been told already. It always depends on the implementation and this is where this game shines. Implementation also makes a difference between Twilight or (500) Days of Summer. Both are love stories but executed in a totally different way.

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 2

On 11-11-2019 at 6:50 AM, Copanele said:

Honestly which series is properly rated after all? Maybe souls one? Since fans don't roll over(kek) to praise it to oblivion and back? 

Dark Souls not getting overpraised by it's fandom and people not getting dunked on for saying they don't like it? What year is it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dreebees said:

Dark Souls not getting overpraised by it's fandom and people not getting dunked on for saying they don't like it? What year is it?

Truthfully, I did not fully  "research" the fandom community at the time of my post(cursed be my refusal to play online). Was proven wrong several days later xD 

Trophy hunting....

Seriously I have grinded all these difficult trophies and wasted so much time on getting them. When I look back at it I just see a addict who plays games not for fun, but just for getting the bling or to get that 100%.

Problem is I still have these urges. :(

Worst of all is those DAMN DLC trophies I buy all those overpriced DLC to get that 100%.

Edited by Doomsdayman
  • Like 2