The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

Not so much a series but a genre:

Sandbox games large maps that you are just dumped into and basically told to "find your own fun". Games like GTA, Saints Row, Prototype, Immortals, Infamous just to name a few. This is NOT to be confused with open world games which people usually call "metroidvania" where you "open the world" as you progress by virtue of abilities, items or story progression. I just have a very hard time enjoying these kind of games so I just do not even bother with them but they seem to be praised quite a lot. The praise make little sense to me but to each their own.

• Like 1

First person shooters (COD, Medal of Honor, etc). I am type of person that focuses on story based games, so I never understood any shooters, rouge likes, platformers and so on. I see people talk about souls like games for example, but they seem absurdly boring to me, I do not get the hype around doing the same stuff over and over again with nothing to keep my interest

• Like 4

I thought Red Dead Redemption was a slog to get through, or at least to finish. The first two thirds of the game were decent, but that last bit just dragged me down and I gave up my first time through. Played from the beginning a couple years later and had the same experience, though I did push through to the end of the story that time. Didn't bother with RDR2.

Coming from a fan, the Final Fantasy series. Are some games good yes, are some characters and their stories memorable without a doubt. But my god people push it way too much as the Crown Achievement of Squenix. To the point even their other big series Dragon Quest still hasn't had full proper representation in the west. Hell it's so bad even the remasters of the first three games got left out of PlayStation in the West.

But the greatest fault of them being overrated is that because they have become so popular and so hyped that it has left many, many much more fantastic games done by then left to die. Games that deserved sequels or proper series of their own that never will. Sure they will remakes or ports of Final Fantasy games over and over again but this incredibly huge library of opportunity they have to bring some absolute gems back will never happen. All because of this one series. I love the games, I love the characters, but I hate what it has cost to keep this series alive.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, Forunth said:

First person shooters (COD, Medal of Honor, etc). I am type of person that focuses on story based games, so I never understood any shooters, rouge likes, platformers and so on. I see people talk about souls like games for example, but they seem absurdly boring to me, I do not get the hype around doing the same stuff over and over again with nothing to keep my interest

I second this. I play shooters occasionally and they're okay but I don't get all the hype for the latest Halo, CoD, Battlefield, etc. They all seem so similar. It doesn't help that I'm not the greatest but that's besides the point, haha!

This is probably a very unpopular opinion but I'd put the Super Smash series up there as very overrated. I've played most in the series because it feels like a game you're supposed to own if you have a Nintendo console and to also play with friends but it just doesn't hook me. On the surface it has all the makings for a great series. But whenever I play it I don't feel that spark that others get. It's not terrible but not amazing in my opinion.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Horizon Zero Dawn.

It was pretty and had a relatively interesting story but ultimately it was just....bland. I like a good sandbox as much as the next man but honestly, they're just so done to death now. Despite looking great and introducing an interesting new IP HZD just felt so derivative.

Also, it was sold as an RPG, so I was expecting an RPG! It might sound like semantics but sandboxes like HZD, the Assassin's Creed games or the Far Cry games are not RPGs. I had comfortably earned every perk by the time I'd completed HZD so there was no real element of character creation choice which I'd expect as a core of any RPG. 

The story was fairly interested but as usually happens in this kind of sandbox, it got lost as I inevitably went off on tangents climbing giraffe robots (same as eagle points in the AC games) and clearing poluted zones or whatever they're called (same as bases in the Far Cry games). 

Yes, this was a big missed opportunity. Gorgeous graphics, an interesting and unique IP wasted in a bland and derivative sandbox! 

• Like 4

Call of Duty.  Not that it's necessarily bad.  It isn't, but is it deserving of all the great reviews that it's just handed every single year by the gaming media?  I don't think so.  But hey, just my opinion.  To me, if you have played one then you have pretty much played them all at least to one extent or another.  I played Black Ops and Black Ops 2.  I platinumed Black Ops.  I played a little of Black Ops 3 on my alt junk account.  I still go back to Black Ops 2 once in a while and play some mp or zombies.  It just doesn't seem to me that you're getting much of anything new gameplay-wise by buying and playing every yearly iteration.  But again, just my opinion.

Assassins Creed.  I played Assassins Creed: Brotherhood and Assassins Creed 3: Liberation (Vita).  I found the controls to be awkward and "clunky" and just couldn't get into either one.  Again, just my experience and my opinion. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2021 at 7:36 PM, TheAbyssWalker61 said:

Asssassin creed series are overrated, the stealth, the combat, the history, all it's bad  and boring and it's historically innacurate, i can't understand the emotion for this saga

Since the first game, AC has been amazingly accurate in a lot of aspects related to the history. I can understand if you talk about the RPG ones, but the other main games, specially the Ezio trilogy is very well done.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 3

On 07/09/2021 at 4:58 AM, XLordXNightmareX said:

Grand Theft Auto, The Last of Us, Souls games, Halo, Fortnite, COD, Skyrim, and FIFA

Says Souls games are overrated, hasn't completed a single one on their account. 2 trophies unlocked for Skyrim, hard to please ey?

Call of Duty, specifically zombies. It is a shadow of what it once was, riddled with MTX mechanics and easter egg fetch quests which make no sense. Every zombies/multiplayer game is just a reskin of the previous title.

Edited by AnOrdinaryBloke
  • Like 1

I think for me my choice would be "Final Fantasy" games, and this actually comes from a point of view of really loving a lot of Final Fantasy games, especially the original FFVII on Playstation 1 which is one of my favourite games.

Anyway, the reason is probably unique because I think it is a branding issue rather than a gaming issue.

Final Fantasy used to be RPG, but now it goes onto pretty much any genre, mobile phone, action adventure, even the Final Fantasy VII remake is not really a proper Final Fantasy game, it's a sort of re imagined spin off which without using the original characters as game as a base, it would have been some other game that likely would have done well but not be nearly as popular.

Just it being a "Final Fantasy" in the name, fans automatically assume it will be amazing. And that kind of annoys me a bit and makes me think "Final Fantasy" is overrated.

It's almost like slapping "Marvel" or "Disney" on the box, same kind of effect. Oh it's Disney, so it must be good, kind of mentality. It seems almost everything has "Final Fantasy" slapped onto it by Square Enix just so it sells.

Anyone remember going to the cinema and watching "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within",

No spells or magic, not even a Chocobo or Moogle, this is space SciFi, nothing to do with Final Fantasy.

• Like 1