The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

1 hour ago, enaysoft said:

I think for me my choice would be "Final Fantasy" games, and this actually comes from a point of view of really loving a lot of Final Fantasy games, especially the original FFVII on Playstation 1 which is one of my favourite games.

Anyway, the reason is probably unique because I think it is a branding issue rather than a gaming issue.

Final Fantasy used to be RPG, but now it goes onto pretty much any genre, mobile phone, action adventure, even the Final Fantasy VII remake is not really a proper Final Fantasy game, it's a sort of re imagined spin off which without using the original characters as game as a base, it would have been some other game that likely would have done well but not be nearly as popular.

Just it being a "Final Fantasy" in the name, fans automatically assume it will be amazing. And that kind of annoys me a bit and makes me think "Final Fantasy" is overrated.

It's almost like slapping "Marvel" or "Disney" on the box, same kind of effect. Oh it's Disney, so it must be good, kind of mentality. It seems almost everything has "Final Fantasy" slapped onto it by Square Enix just so it sells.

Anyone remember going to the cinema and watching "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within",

No spells or magic, not even a Chocobo or Moogle, this is space SciFi, nothing to do with Final Fantasy.

Yeah but that movie was actually a huge lost for square.

It actually hurt their company for years in fact.

I think in terms of series, there is a reasonable argument for Sonic the Hedgehog.

That's not to say Sonic games are widely or highly regarded - they aren't really - however, I do think there is a weird sense of a false "legacy" with the games. It feels like no matter how many come out, and are invariable somewhere on the spectrum between mediocre and outright bad, a sizeable portion of the audience still seem hell-bent on wanting to give them a chance.

They continually hope they will be good, and want them to hark back to the "great Sonic games of old...", but ignore the fact that there are no "Great Sonic games of old." 

Sonic games were never actually good. At best, they were clunky, mis-guided "alternatives to Italian Plumber", build on "edgy 90's 'tude and nothing more.

They were designed to facilitate the creation of a mascot - The mascot was a great success, but the games were always sub-standard - designed to look good in motion, when running a flash-loop of Green Hill Zone on a Megadrive display terminal at a department store. They were there to appeal to kids, and to sell consoles, but as soon as they were actually played, and the player had to slow down at all, they became terrible, clunky, C-Tier platformers.

That's Sonic platformers of course. 

Sonic cart racers? Those, for some strange reason - are awesome!

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I really think Souls games are ridiculously overrated, they are described as good games but they are terribly designed and balanced, every single design choice is made to artificially inflate the game time that is mostly spent fighting the same enemies or walking needlessly long paths to reach the boss again. Played Nioh first, hated almost everything about it, thought it must have been because its a Dark Souls rip off so I got Dark Souls Remastered, which ended up being even worse of a game so I did not even bother with other Souls games like Bloodborne or Sekiro. At this point I am certain that this is a big inside joke, that people actually hate this garbage series and just hype it up online to bait other players into going through this miserable experience to share the misery.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think in terms of series, there is a reasonable argument for Sonic the Hedgehog.

That's not to say Sonic games are widely or highly regarded - they aren't really - however, I do think there is a weird sense of a false "legacy" with the games. It feels like no matter how many come out, and are invariable somewhere on the spectrum between mediocre and outright bad, a sizeable portion of the audience still seem hell-bent on wanting to give them a chance.

They continually hope they will be good, and want them to hark back to the "great Sonic games of old...", but ignore the fact that there are no "Great Sonic games of old." 

Sonic games were never actually good. At best, they were clunky, mis-guided "alternatives to Italian Plumber", build on "edgy 90's 'tude and nothing more.

They were designed to facilitate the creation of a mascot - The mascot was a great success, but the games were always sub-standard - designed to look good in motion, when running a flash-loop of Green Hill Zone on a Megadrive display terminal at a department store. They were there to appeal to kids, and to sell consoles, but as soon as they were actually played, and the player had to slow down at all, they became terrible, clunky, C-Tier platformers.

That's Sonic platformers of course. 

Sonic cart racers? Those, for some strange reason - are awesome!

Have to agree with you there, even with the older games there's not much interaction either. The older ones have some really janky jumping mechanics when you're not running fast. At least the music is great

7 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

I really think Souls games are ridiculously overrated, they are described as good games but they are terribly designed and balanced, every single design choice is made to artificially inflate the game time that is mostly spent fighting the same enemies or walking needlessly long paths to reach the boss again. Played Nioh first, hated almost everything about it, thought it must have been because its a Dark Souls rip off so I got Dark Souls Remastered, which ended up being even worse of a game so I did not even bother with other Souls games like Bloodborne or Sekiro. At this point I am certain that this is a big inside joke, that people actually hate this garbage series and just hype it up online to bait other players into going through this miserable experience to share the misery.

I can definitely understand that viewpoint, although I love the souls games for the challenge they have.

God of War would be my pick, I've played 2 of them and I didn't find them to be anything more than a mediocre hack n slash

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

Have to agree with you there, even with the older games there's not much interaction either. The older ones have some really janky jumping mechanics when you're not running fast. At least the music is great

This, it must be said, is absolutely true - credit where credit is due, there were definitely some great tunes in those early games especially - making good use of that great Genesis/ Megadrive sound chip, which was without a doubt a cut above the SNES in that regard!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wild-Arms-R said:

Yeah but that movie was actually a huge lost for square.

It actually hurt their company for years in fact.

They actually still haven't recovered from it. That's just how bad of a flop the movie was.

As for what I consider the most overrated, The Legend of Zelda without a doubt. I've played the games since the NES and I honestly don't see what makes so many consider it one of the best franchises ever made. They're a standard action/adventure and they don't even really break the mold. Another would Be the Smash Brothers series. I used to be heavy into fighting games when I was younger but I've lapsed but nothing annoys me more than to see a Smashphile call their party game a fighter and even mention it in the same breadth as legends like Third Strike and MVC2

Edited by majob

9 hours ago, Jeanoltt said:

Since the first game, AC has been amazingly accurate in a lot of aspects related to the history. I can understand if you talk about the RPG ones, but the other main games, specially the Ezio trilogy is very well done.

Well maybe the ezio saga was accurate but Valhalla ? humm i have seen many things that make the game history  innacurate lol

FIFA. It’s a steaming pile of sh**
I buy them out of season super cheap to play in a day for trophies ??

I honestly can’t believe the money they spend on the same game every year and the game plays terribly. 
do what makes you happy but this thread asked my opinion and my opinion is fifa sucks ? matter of fact 75% of sports game suck ? 

7 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I think for me my choice would be "Final Fantasy" games, and this actually comes from a point of view of really loving a lot of Final Fantasy games, especially the original FFVII on Playstation 1 which is one of my favourite games.

Anyway, the reason is probably unique because I think it is a branding issue rather than a gaming issue.

Final Fantasy used to be RPG, but now it goes onto pretty much any genre, mobile phone, action adventure, even the Final Fantasy VII remake is not really a proper Final Fantasy game, it's a sort of re imagined spin off which without using the original characters as game as a base, it would have been some other game that likely would have done well but not be nearly as popular.

Just it being a "Final Fantasy" in the name, fans automatically assume it will be amazing. And that kind of annoys me a bit and makes me think "Final Fantasy" is overrated.

It's almost like slapping "Marvel" or "Disney" on the box, same kind of effect. Oh it's Disney, so it must be good, kind of mentality. It seems almost everything has "Final Fantasy" slapped onto it by Square Enix just so it sells.

Anyone remember going to the cinema and watching "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within",

No spells or magic, not even a Chocobo or Moogle, this is space SciFi, nothing to do with Final Fantasy.

I distinctly remember the disappointment after I left the theater with 'Spirits Within.'  It was 'Final Fantasy ' in name only.  I also agree with putting the name on other games just to sell them.  I have tried on multiple occasions to get into FF13, but I just can't seem to get used to the awful combat system.  I would rather have it go back to the old turn based system than whatever that thing was.

I do have to say that Final Fantasy VII is the most overrated of the series for me.  I loved number IV the most because it is the first one I ever played and has special meaning for me.  Number VII was hard for me to get into the story and I thought it was more sci-fi than Fantasy.  It did have Fantasy aspects, but the overall look and feel was more science fiction.  I also couldn't stand Cloud as a character.  Its strange, though, because I really enjoyed Crisis Core and Advent Children,  it's just the bridge between them I didn't like.

Smash Bros., I've played Brawl and Ultimate with some friends before because they were playing it and thought why the hell not, might as well join in. They handle like ass and simply aren't fun to play.

GTA, Vice City is the only one that's actually good. I played the old top down ones when I was younger and they were an alright way to waste time, but really haven't held up, GTA III has aged BADLY, San Andreas is ok I guess and IV is just pure shit.

Pretty much all Bethesda developed games are terrible too. Morrowind was the last half decent thing they put out and it's all been downhill from there. Every single good game that has the Bethesda logo on it wasn't developed by them. Fallout NV, DOOM, Wolfenstein, Dishonored, none of that was made by Bethesda and I wish people would stop saying they were. Fallout 3 is a mixed bag and Skyrim is a fucking slog and has more core issues with it than it does bugs.

Also Kingdom Hearts is incomprehensible drivel.

8 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

Kingdom Hearts games are button mashers with incoherent storylines

I used to love kingdom hearts, but man.. since they started the confusing storylines with weird titles. I can't seem to enjoy it anymore. What's next? Kingdom hearts 365/24/7 ? Unus annus? birth by death?

Please SE.. Just put a stop to this title. 

• Like 2

As far as others opinions go, there are some absolute howlers in this list xD.
But each to there own...

For me:
- CoD (All of them) Litrally just a shittier version of battlefield. and im not just saying that because im bad at CoD, im bad at both xD.
- Halo. Played it once and hated it, never went back. 
- Any battle royal game. Just why? its like "hey lets take everything aweful and wrong with multiplayer, put it all into one genre and cram about 5000 people into the same lobby" Just no, kill it with fire.
- My Name is Mayo. For such a simple game its had tons of players since launch despite doing nothing special, just super overated for what little the game offers :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Titanomachy_75 said:

GTA   100% 

This was going to be my answer, the entire series.

Why?  Because it's lame, its like a series of games that tries to rip off Scarface, and while that movie was legendary and memorable, it was also really cheesy at parts.  

I get it, it has this open world aspect to it, yet if I want to drive cars I play racing games, if I want to shoot people in game play a shooter, if I want to fight I play Mortal Kombat, etc.  Basically the elements that make up GTA as a whole, are pretty much done better by every other genre; and the mash up of these genre's in this games leads to an overall mediocre look and feel.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, majob said:

As for what I consider the most overrated, The Legend of Zelda without a doubt. I've played the games since the NES and I honestly don't see what makes so many consider it one of the best franchises ever made. They're a standard action/adventure and they don't even really break the mold. Another would Be the Smash Brothers series. I used to be heavy into fighting games when I was younger but I've lapsed but nothing annoys me more than to see a Smashphile call their party game a fighter and even mention it in the same breadth as legends like Third Strike and MVC2

I think (and i can only speak from my own experience) what makes those games 'overrated' is nostalgia and because they were doing something new at the time. When i had a N64 as a kid those games were ground breaking for me because i had never experienced a story or game like that before so that is why it is remembered so well (you never forget your first time ?)

Nowadays when i play the new Zelda i really dont like it anymore, because its too big and too different from what i liked about it when i was younger, same with Smash Bros. they went overboard with characters, stages, everything.

The Last of Us / The Last of Us: Part II (especially). The gameplay in these games have always been either below standard (TLOU) or at standard level (TLOU:PII). It's never provided the same depth, innovation, or compelling (let alone revolutionary) gameplay as in other games of its genre: Resident Evil, Far Cry, and Dying Light, just to name some. This applies to all the genres the series is associated with—shooting, stealth, survival-horror, etc. 

A game so heavily reliant on high quality storytelling, specifically when it's made under the same genre as the average game instead of the Interactive Movie genre, could never be the best video game of all time/generation. The gameplay, by default, is compromised too much by the all the prioritized efforts gone into the story (which is partly strange for the fact that the developers did show a perfect gameplay:story balance specifically with their Jak and Daxter series), something interactive movie games like Detroit Become Human, Telltale's The Walking Dead, etc can never suffer from, and thus why those games deserve all the praise they get if their writing is that good. Unlike conventional games, there's not much gameplay responsibility these games have, definitely nothing to the point where the gameplay has to be at the same level, better, or not far off from that of the story's. Series like TLOU, however, instead aggressively insist on traditional video game design, constantly combining its mediocre gameplay designs with efforts gone into creating strong storytelling. TLOU got away with it, in addition to the consistently overlooked ruination of its once good many-many-years-ago multiplayer (filled with incompetent matchmaking, poor gameplay balance, and introduction of Pay To Win designs, all since the mid-2010s and of which were carried over and not whatsoever changed in the remaster), but TLOU:PII getting such massive criticism to the point of being labeled a bad game primarily because of its writing quality (which is legitimately bad) is a testament to how overrated the series is when the quality of the story is so essential to its sales and reception - as if it was a Quantic Dreams, DONTNOD, Telltale Game, etc. While the gameplay is technically improved, it wasn't enough for the game to stand on its own without great storytelling, let alone carry it (like TLOU story did for its gameplay), but the sequel still primarily got away with it.

• Like 2

There might be several choices for different people but let's be honest, Grand Theft Auto takes the cake. Rockstar hasn't bothered in developing games aside from Red Dead Redemption 2 after the release of GTAV. Why should they bother if that overrated game can be milked to afterlife. 

I'm not saying the games are bad, I may even try them at some point in the future, but in my opinion the GTA series is the most overrated series of all time, mostly thanks to GTAV.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 2