The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

I like all of the game series I am about to mention, but I do not think they are as good as many people say.

Mario (Same game every single time, barely any story.)

LOL....seriously?! Neither does any movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger but I seriously doubt the auidence of either is looking for any depth in the overall plot. Its a simple series from simpler times made for a simple audience.

Beyond boredom Souls

LOL, never heard anyone call it that but I definately agree. I've only played Demon's Souls but the game ended up being average at best to me. I still have no idea why people refer to it as a RPG when it severly lacks the elements essential to the genre., like...oh....I dunno...STORYTELLING. Its just came across as a glorified dungeon crawler. Dark Souls has been collecting dust in my backlog for awhile now and I'm still in no hurry to play it.

Edit: Just realized you were talking about Beyond Two Souls :P . Oops oh well, That game is sitting in my backlog too and I still think Demon's Souls is overrated.

Edited by merciful84

My picks go to these games

The Last of Us

Skyrim- Still think I might of liked morrowind better.

Dark Souls Series 

Bioshock Infinite

Minecraft

Final Fantasy VII

I don't necessarily think these games are bad, but not exactly as good as the fans make them out to be. And the way some of these games are hyped to no end.  

For me it's Uncharted. In my opinion the whole series is way overrated. This game is full of unlogical stuff. Way to many enemys to be logical explainable in some way. The whole shooting part of the game is boring for me. It's somehow overstreched.

That's exactly my thoughts, and I tried. I tried in every game and the shooting is just so prevalent and so boring that makes the games unplayable for me.

After Ucharted series probably GTA IV, a good game that was not even close to the 10s it received and for the veterans I would add Shenmue that was supposed to be the pinnacle of gaming and in the end was just a very very short adventure where you were running from one place to another half of it.

By the way, someone mentioned FF VII. I´m sure you didn´t play it when it got out or you don´t like JRPG because it was just beyond anything done back then... it´s one of the most amazing experiences I had ever playing.

Pokemon

I don't hate it or anything but I don't understand why they keep churning out games with names that are only different because they each are titled after a different colour. I can't see why they didn't just make a few of them or something because from what I've seen they all look like pretty much the same thing but with updated graphics or different colour settings. Does the story or areas even change at all?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Brothers:A tale of two sons yet. Such a cliched and predictable ending, hell I even joked to myself what the ending might be before I started and no surprise I got it right  :facepalm:, not to mention the piss average controls.

Edited by NIALLERMANBUZ
  • Like 1

1. Half Life 2- A regular FPS game with a weird object moving mechanic, which is annoying to use. Maybe it was amazing in 2004, but playing it today feels like playing a generic FPS.

2. Final Fantasy 7- I'll never understand this one. It doesn't have the best story of FF, it doesn't have the best characters, and the gameplay is regular FF gameplay. So why is it always considered the best?

3. The Last of Us- I've actually seen people call this "The Citizen Kane of gaming", wow. Citizen Kane actually changed the way all movies were made. Last of Us did none of that for gaming. It's one of the safest and most cliché games I've played. The setting is a post apocalyptic world. The enemies are guys with guns, and infected things that basically act like zombies. The story is very similar to The Road, I'm sure they read that before writing the game. And the gameplay is Uncharted with a crafting mechanic.

Half Life is very contextual so I won't fault you, but it really changed things back when it released, heck the story specifically and the way it was told.

Never cared for Final Fantasy, too.

Now that's brutally inaccurate of The Last of Us. Its the Citizen Kane of video games not only in the sense of it being a sheer masterpiece quality wise, but it definitely meant something more for the industry, other than some things we talked about before *representation of homosexuals and the like*, the game is the perfect blend between the cinematic style of Metal Gear Solid and the level design driven story of Half Life, interwining its gameplay mechanics and story brilliantly to form a great, cohesive experience. It takes a cliche and trope filled concept, and completely flips it on its head.

And its definitely not Uncharted with crafting. Hell no, Uncharted is a flat out third person shooter, The Last of Us is a stealth action survival horror game, or survival game with horror elements. Small things like how Joel's hand sways and how he handles a guns recoil make heck of alot of a difference, the limited amount of weapons and supplies, the crafting system, there is also no regenerating health, the melee system comes to mind, too. The only thing they share is the very basic shooting mechanics *but again, there are discrepancies between them.

• Like 2

When you're talking about the most overrated then you definitely gotta throw COD in that list.

I'll also say Dark Souls. I'm not gonna knock everyone's love for this game but I didn't see anything special about it honestly. I gave it multiple tries time and time again instead of being one of those people but I just couldn't find any reason to continue on

We got to definately throw CoD (From 4 and up) to the list, why can't the fans of that franchise REALISE THAT IT'S THE SAME GAME, OVER AND OVER AGAIN?! Wasting 60-70€ every year for the same mediocre game?! You know how many PS4's that is?! Dayum... (Not to mention, the oldest CoD player turned 12 today! What?! Unbelievable! So old...)

Another franchise has got to be Battlefield, I say it's overrated because I just can't have fun on a FPS game... I prefer old and classic platformers over any FPS game...

I guess Minecraft is a bit overrated too :D

how bout we remove bioshock and add dead or alive to that list and have a nice cup of tea. Besides Bioshock Infinite was great

Lol. Can't believe I just laugh on that. Kind of true that DOA is a little overrated maybe I don't like DOA5U anymore which is why I laughed. But I don't really think it IS overrated since the gameplay can be fun because it's a bit easy to understand.

If a game/series is popular, it's because a lot of people actually like them.

I suspect that most people here are just calling out games they don't like, while thousands of others do, doesn't mean they are overrated.

A better question would just be: what games do you dislike.

I'm not a fan of call of duty, battlefield, ... which doesn't make them overrated, just not my cup of tea.

The people who love those games might consider my precious mass effect or assassin's creed to be overrated.

• Like 3

Now that's brutally inaccurate of The Last of Us. Its the Citizen Kane of video games not only in the sense of it being a sheer masterpiece quality wise, but it definitely meant something more for the industry, other than some things we talked about before *representation of homosexuals and the like*, the game is the perfect blend between the cinematic style of Metal Gear Solid and the level design driven story of Half Life, interwining its gameplay mechanics and story brilliantly to form a great, cohesive experience. It takes a cliche and trope filled concept, and completely flips it on its head.

And its definitely not Uncharted with crafting. Hell no, Uncharted is a flat out third person shooter, The Last of Us is a stealth action survival horror game, or survival game with horror elements. Small things like how Joel's hand sways and how he handles a guns recoil make heck of alot of a difference, the limited amount of weapons and supplies, the crafting system, there is also no regenerating health, the melee system comes to mind, too. The only thing they share is the very basic shooting mechanics *but again, there are discrepancies between them.

The thing is, when you say a game is "The Citizen Kane of video games" it has to have actually influenced how all future games will be made, like Citizen Kane did for filmmaking. Last of Us is a good game, no doubt. But it hasn't completely changed video games forever. It just took elements we've already had in place, and improved on them. We've had post apocalyptic settings, plenty of times. We've had 3rd person cover shooters/stealth games before. We've had games that blended story and gameplay as well. Even it's story is just a tweaked version of The Road. Nothing Last of Us does is new or original, it's just tweaking things. That's why it can't be called Citizen Kane.

• Like 2

I'd say Call Of Duty, but that's just a boring answer. 

Half Life. I know it came out in the stone age, but I played HL2 around a year after it first released, and it was just awful, even today I don't understand all the love surrounding it, the most fun I had was throwing the can at the guard instead of putting it in the bin at the beginning. 

I'd have to agree on that. I played to the part where you end up running away from the guards and end up on the roof of the apartment complex. I tried as hard as I could to get into the game but it was just so boring. I also spent hours confused on where to go the first time I played it.  :|

The thing is, when you say a game is "The Citizen Kane of video games" it has to have actually influenced how all future games will be made, like Citizen Kane did for filmmaking. Last of Us is a good game, no doubt. But it hasn't completely changed video games forever. It just took elements we've already had in place, and improved on them. We've had post apocalyptic settings, plenty of times. We've had 3rd person cover shooters/stealth games before. We've had games that blended story and gameplay as well. Even it's story is just a tweaked version of The Road. Nothing Last of Us does is new or original, it's just tweaking things. That's why it can't be called Citizen Kane.

What did Citizen Kane do for cinematography? took multiple different styles already there, merged them into one. 

Where does the unreliable narrator come from? literature.

And i'm in no way trying to cheapen Citizen Kane and the impact it had on cinema, i'd be a moron to do so, Innovation is not about just new ideas and the like, but rather old ideas or concepts done in a different way.

Again, Citizen Kane is not only influential but regarded as a cinematic masterpiece, sort of like the Last of Us is for gaming, a masterpiece.

Who's to say The Last of Us won't influence gaming to some extent in the future? it does have innovative story telling techniques and its gameplay is extremely well done, and just the quality of the storytelling is amazing.

• Like 1

What did Citizen Kane do for cinematography? took multiple different styles already there, merged them into one.

Actually, it was the first film to break the filming mold of other movies, and use brand new techniques. Deep focus shots, low angle shots, the L-cut, effects to make crowds and buildings look bigger, realistic aging makeup, non linear story telling, brand new lighting techniques, and other smaller things. Orson Wells and the Citizen Kane crew invented these things, completely changing the way all future films are shot.

Last of Us hasn't invented anything new in video games, it just improved on things already in place. That's the difference.

• Like 1