The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

This question gets asked every few months and the results are always the same.

There isn't a thing like an overrated or underrated game/series in general.

There's only game you like or don't like.

I think nobody will call their favourite game overrated, just as much that nobody will call their least favourite game underrated.

If you don't like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed because it's repetitive, no argument here.

But to argue that those games are overrated, because you don't like them, that's foolish.

Can anyone here give a solid argument why a game like COD, AC, Minecraft is overrated?

For the record, I don't like COD and Minecraft, but love AC btw

• Like 3

I still question how people call CoD overrated when it is probably the most hated series of all time. Hell there are people who honestly believe you aren't a "true gamer" if you enjoy Call of Duty.

Parker

I dont think anyone think that.

I think the sentiment is that you are not a 'True Gamer' if you ONLY enjoy CoD and Fifa (or CoD and Madden for my american bretheren)

As for what a 'True Gamer' is..... I dont know.... but the people who accuse others of not being one sure seem to know....

I dont think anyone think that.

I think the sentiment is that you are not a 'True Gamer' if you ONLY enjoy CoD and Fifa (or CoD and Madden for my american bretheren)

As for what a 'True Gamer' is..... I dont know.... but the people who accuse others of not being one sure seem to know....

Oh trust me, I've had many a PM from an angry forum member asking how I could possibly be a moderator on this website while admitting that I enjoy CoD.  :lol:

I've always had the opinion that a "true gamer" is simply someone who enjoys playing video games. Whether that is only CoD, Madden, Dark Souls or a combination of all of them is irrelevant. 

Parker

• Like 3

This question gets asked every few months and the results are always the same.

There isn't a thing like an overrated or underrated game/series in general.

There's only game you like or don't like.

I think nobody will call their favourite game overrated, just as much that nobody will call their least favourite game underrated.

If you don't like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed because it's repetitive, no argument here.

But to argue that those games are overrated, because you don't like them, that's foolish.

Can anyone here give a solid argument why a game like COD, AC, Minecraft is overrated?

For the record, I don't like COD and Minecraft, but love AC btw

Well, my intention when I started the thread was that people might go into a bit more depth than they have been doing. I certainly didn't want it to turn into a "I don't like this game" thread.

For example, my criticism of the early Sonic games was aimed at why those games failed in their game design: the level design encourages exploration and caution, yet the controls encourage speed. Having had another quick go on them lately, it was an incredibly poor decision to put Sonic in the middle of the screen too - at full speed you just cant react to things in your path quickly enough. They should really have put him at the back of the screen. Bad design, bad game, good reasons to think so.

Yet these games are fondly remembered for some reason.

Speaking of CoD, I think all you can say is that the series has gotten stale. But I wouldn't call them overrated despite the fact they they still sell like gangbusters. They have a very loyal userbase, which is fair enough.

Edited by StrickenBiged

You play a game for 1-2 houres and judge it? Lol Mass Effect is a trilogy and has a play time of atleast 35 houres per game but you gave up almost instantly, good work, you dont know what your missing.

I didn't judged it. I just didn't felt any need to proceed the game after few hours. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I can't think of an overrated game off the top of my head.  Probably because the thought never occurred to me to go online and complain about a video game just because I didn't like it... so people going out of their way to unreasonably "talk up" a game around me has never really happened.  At least not in a way I noticed, or cared about.

Edited by Dreakon13

Minecraft.

Don't get me wrong, the game is great and the concepts behind it are brilliant, but the number of people who flat out refuse to play anything but it is ridiculous. Not to mention a lot of people only play in creative mode, which I've never found impressive. If you build something magnificent in creative mode, so what? I can do the same if I just put some time into it. It's never been impressive to me. But building a huge mansion in survival? THAT'S impressive, because you have to be careful not to die and lose your inventory and gather all of the resources. Anyways, I'm off topic. I think that the game is great and all but just the sheer number of merchandise for it and all the people who worship it is ridiculous.

Also Halo, but I have less to say on that. It's the same reasons everyone has given.

• Like 2