The most overrated game/series?

StrickenBiged

I think TLoZ:OoT was a product of it's time. I loved it when I played it as a kid, and I played it a lot. Much of the awe for that game comes from the fact that nothing had appeared on that scale before. The first couple of hours you're just like "Ok, it's a Zelda game, I'm in a dungeon, so far so good". But then when you get to Hyrule Field, and there's all that space... you start to think "Oh fuck... this is going to be gooooood". 

I don't think you can go back to that now. Games have progessed so much on a technical level that that sense of awe won't be there. There are loads of games with great draw distances and massive environments now. 

But trust me, at the time, it was something else. 

Oh, I believe you. But the way people speak about it to this very day. you'd think it was some absolute masterpiece you just couldn't pass up. Then I tried actually playing it and... meh... As I said, at the very least, it didn't age very well. It can't be that it's not my kind of game, since I love action-adventure games and Ookami, which is very similar to Zelda, is to this day my favorite game of all-time (and one of the major reasons I decided to try it in the first place).

• 3 years later...

(Sigh... here we go.) Uncharted or The Last of Us, given their exact and ongoing to this day praise, typical spot in people's favorite/best game list (including this forum's top favorite game list of last generation), relatively basic and non-innovative gameplay (regardless of how well its 'animated') that doesn't push the gaming industry forward or encourage developers to try new innovative things with gameplay (unlike say Call of Duty 4, Dead Space, Demon Souls, Dying Light, etc, did), glaring omission of MP critiquing in reviews when rating the game so a higher arbitrary score can be given to it, claims to be the "best game of a generation" and/or "best game ever made" (this includes Naughty Dog being "the best game developers", because it directly displays the mentality people have in thinking they make the best games), which is a very pitiful claim, and sales data. 

Other highly rated series I can't list because they're at least delivering on high quality gameplay—the aspect of video games that matter the most in any kind of non-interactive drama, non-visual novel, non-point and click, non-etc but action game—a lot of which have fine graphics, animation, sound, etc, yet also providing high quality storytelling. The gameplay isn't taking a backseat, getting overshadowed, or being underdeveloped because of narrative prioritization in those games. Naughty Dog once had this gameplay & story-telling balance perfected in their Jak and Daxter series. None of the two were favored or given notably more attention to the other.

Sad thing is, 3/4 of the developer's created game IPs are among the most overrated in history: Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted, and The Last of Us. Crash Bandicoot didn't surpass Sonic the Hedgehog (series) or Super Mario Bros. (series) platformers, so the reception, attention, and praise it was getting is nonsensical. Then there's the racing installment Crash Team Racing; at the time yes it was a fair rival for the latest Mario Kart entry (no idea for Diddy Kong Racing), but overtime it's still being claimed as the best kart racing game of all time and similar claims... Just, no. Mario Kart improved and surpassed it shortly afterwards; Sonic did the same with his racing series that succeeded the Drift (and Rider) series; and new IPs within the genre like Modnation Racers also are on another level, period. 

Uncharted wasn't special until its sequel, and even then it was most of the game's less relevant game aspects outside the setpieces that impressed people. But gameplay wise once again it was still lagging behind, with its still horrendous focus on (hand holding) scripting over player freedom and difficulty and the core elements like the platforming/climbing and puzzles being inferior to similar themed series like Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider. (Can't say much of the cover-shooting gameplay because I didn't play enough of Gears of War, a series that inspired Uncharted's c.shooting gameplay).

The Last of Us is even weirder, but it has been no Resident Evil or Dead Space, and it will remain below those two series. The game has gotten all this appeal primarily because of its non-gameplay related narrative quality... under the premise of an actual boring and shallow storyline. I'd really, really love to see a world where its and Uncharted's narrative are notably weaker, to then see the thoughts had on these games. 

• Like 2

Most overrated series: Uncharted. Everyone tells me it's amazing. As a playstation fan everyone assumes I'm a Uncharted fanboy but I just don't like them. I've tried several times but all it succeeds in doing is making me want to play old school Tomb Raider.

Most overrated game: Red Dead Redemption 2. Everytime I say it, I get attacked by fanboys so I won't go into why. Doesn't make it any less true though.

Most disappointing (yes I'm adding a new one) Spider-Man. Huge Spider-Man fan and was so hyped for the game. But we got cutscenes the game ? I got bored of watching it and quickly sold it on. So disappointing.

• Like 1

Halo, level design is mostly shite. MP is alright but that's about it.

Elder Scrolls. Most of the games feel either way too clunky or big for the sake of being big without anything interesting going on. Morrowind hit that sweet spot in the middle, but the others I'm not fond of at all.

GTA also gets pretty damn boring once the initial fun wears off, and only Vice City manages to keep things going long enough to be considered decent for me.

• Like 1

With all the recent controversy, I'd say Fallout 76. People are still scrambling to find something good about the game and at every turn the studio is screwing their players to the wall. Loyal fans will stick with it till the end, but I'd say it's extremely overrated for the way the game was handled by the studio. Bugs, microtransactions, things that flat out don't work. You'd expect so much more for a beloved series and they dropped the ball hard on that one. 

• Like 3

Horizon: Zero Dawn

The Witcher 3

Marvel's Spider-Man (2018)

Minecraft

Fortnite

Watch Dogs series

Dead Space series

Mass Effect series

Call Of Duty series

Metal Gear Solid series

Destiny series

Portal series

Uncharted series

Tomb Raider series

Mortal Kombat series

Ninja Gaiden series

Final Fantasy series

Nier series

The Legend Of Zelda series

Super Mario series

Edited by Amonares

Off the top of my head i'll go with Undertale. Maybe not the most overrated game ever but it certainly springs to my mind when I think of such games. I only picked it up because I had heard some really amazing things about it but when I actually started playing it I had to ask myself what all the fuss was about. I thought I had picked up the wrong game at one point, I just couldn't see what all the praise was over.

As a series i'll say Final Fantasy. I was never able to get into it when I was younger and that hasn't changed since. I know lots of people gush over the series and get offended if a single bad word is said about it but I personally don't see the appeal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seasonreaper said:

Halo, level design is mostly shite. MP is alright but that's about it.

Elder Scrolls. Most of the games feel either way too clunky or big for the sake of being big without anything interesting going on. Morrowind hit that sweet spot in the middle, but the others I'm not fond of at all.

GTA also gets pretty damn boring once the initial fun wears off, and only Vice City manages to keep things going long enough to be considered decent for me.

100% agree with those.

I think Fortnight is completely overrated - I honestly can't see why it's so popular. 

I'm also going to go with Halo - everyone used to tell me you get an Xbox for Halo. Well when I bought my 360 it came with Halo ODST and despite the series never really appealing to me in the first place I gave it a go. Wished I hadn't, it was garbage IMO, not to mention the god-awful control scheme. I've since been told that ODST is probably not the one I should have tried first, but they all look pretty much the same to me so I really can't see how the others will be any better. 

• Like 3

Here's another one, but only veterans will remember:

facdfd54-3139-403e-a2r8jq7.png

The game got raving reviews back in the day, but I found it weird, confusing, unpolished and simply not working properly. It's not as overrated as the horrendous Kingdom Farts series, but certainly an overly hyped gaming turd. But the worst RPG from SE is still Unlimited Saga - the Bloodhound Gang of Japanese game design. Simply vomit-inducing. ?

• Like 1

Can the best game be the most overrated at the same time? Because it is what I think about Michael Jordan and NBA, for example. Even when I love The Last of Us (I'm not saying that it is the best), I see on it the same lack of problems that others have pointed before. Non innovative, so linear, unreal stealth mode, QTEs, pretentiously adult... And this is something that can be applied to almost any capital IP. So I would say... Grand Theft Auto.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

(Sigh... here we go.) Uncharted or The Last of Us, given their exact and ongoing to this day praise, typical spot in people's favorite/best game list (including this forum's top favorite game list of last generation), relatively basic and non-innovative gameplay (regardless of how well its 'animated') that doesn't push the gaming industry forward or encourage developers to try new innovative things with gameplay (unlike say Call of Duty 4, Dead Space, Demon Souls, Dying Light, etc, did), glaring omission of MP critiquing in reviews when rating the game so a higher arbitrary score can be given to it, claims to be the "best game of a generation" and/or "best game ever made" (this includes Naughty Dog being "the best game developers", because it directly displays the mentality people have in thinking they make the best games), which is a very pitiful claim, and sales data. 

Other highly rated series I can't list because they're at least delivering on high quality gameplay—the aspect of video games that matter the most in any kind of non-interactive drama, non-visual novel, non-point and click, non-etc but action game—a lot of which have fine graphics, animation, sound, etc, yet also providing high quality storytelling. The gameplay isn't taking a backseat, getting overshadowed, or being underdeveloped because of narrative prioritization in those games. Naughty Dog once had this gameplay & story-telling balance perfected in their Jak and Daxter series. None of the two were favored or given notably more attention to the other.

Sad thing is, 3/4 of the developer's created game IPs are among the most overrated in history: Crash Bandicoot, Uncharted, and The Last of Us. Crash Bandicoot didn't surpass Sonic the Hedgehog (series) or Super Mario Bros. (series) platformers, so the reception, attention, and praise it was getting is nonsensical. Then there's the racing installment Crash Team Racing; at the time yes it was a fair rival for the latest Mario Kart entry (no idea for Diddy Kong Racing), but overtime it's still being claimed as the best kart racing game of all time and similar claims... Just, no. Mario Kart improved and surpassed it shortly afterwards; Sonic did the same with his racing series that succeeded the Drift (and Rider) series; and new IPs within the genre like Modnation Racers also are on another level, period. 

Uncharted wasn't special until its sequel, and even then it was most of the game's less relevant game aspects outside the setpieces that impressed people. But gameplay wise once again it was still lagging behind, with its still horrendous focus on (hand holding) scripting over player freedom and difficulty and the core elements like the platforming/climbing and puzzles being inferior to similar themed series like Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider. (Can't say much of the cover-shooting gameplay because I didn't play enough of Gears of War, a series that inspired Uncharted's c.shooting gameplay).

The Last of Us is even weirder, but it has been no Resident Evil or Dead Space, and it will remain below those two series. The game has gotten all this appeal primarily because of its non-gameplay related narrative quality... under the premise of an actual boring and shallow storyline. I'd really, really love to see a world where its and Uncharted's narrative are notably weaker, to then see the thoughts had on these games. 

Someone dared to say it, and I agree.

Uncharted is nothing special, I think. It's of course a fun and well-polished game that was a blast to play, but nothing I'd call best game ever or even game of the year material. I haven't played A Thief's End yet, but even then... Do I have to go through three whole games before I can appreciate what it supposedly promises to deliver on the fourth installment? Meh.

The Last of Us too. Whenever I say I find TLoU overrated, people will call me out and say I'm implying the game is complete crap. Of course not; don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful game storywise and its graphics are very good too. Aside from that though, it's pretty average in everything else - not that it's necessarily a bad thing. But to say it's the absolute greatest game ever made in the history of mankind (and a lot of people say that)... It's not even the best game on PS3, let alone the best game ever.

Obviously, people are free to disagree. To each their own.

• Like 2