Success in sales

Paperclip1776

I haven't played the newer games since MW3, which I liked despite the criticism. I believe high sales figures shows that a franchise is successful. Sure, there are a lot of people that hate it, but for instance if I said that a meteor was to crash on Earth and bring about the end of humanity and only 100,000 people would survive, someone would say that 100,000 people surviving is too many people surviving such an event and unrealistic. But compared to the 7 billion people on Earth, 100,000 is such a small number. So despite the large number of people who hate the game, Activision shatters sales records each year with it's widely growing fan base.

What Parker was saying about the game not being the same, I'll disagree. No it is not copy and paste, and I see what you mean when you bring up the changes. Mark Rubin said they weren't looking to change the game because it was successful and people would buy it. It doesn't have that drastic feeling of change that CoD4 gave us. But also slightly agreeing with you; Once they hit that mark and they shatter all expectations, like Ocarina of Time did for the Zelda Series, there is usually not much they can do without some repetitively.

Honestly, if people hated it and didn't like the game anymore, they would do a Ubisoft and scrap it like one of my favorite game series' Prince of Persia. This new Assassin's Creed thing seems to be popular and the last Prince of Persia was pretty terrible, so let's focus on what sells. Now you see an Assassin's Creed game released every year, and when was the last time a console version of PoP was released?

• Like 1

COD represents fantastic value. You generally get

- an 8 hour+ campaign with high production values (visually attractive graphics, produced cut scenes and decent voice acting) that many people would pay for without playing any other of it's content

- a comprehensive multiplayer that many people would pay for without playing any other of it's content
- a co-op multiplayer mode (eg. squads or extinction) that many people would pay for without playing any other of it's content

etc. etc. 

- supported with DLC and kept relevant with consistent releases and advertising

Other companies sell games with a 3rd of the content of these games, COD contains all of them quite consistently.

It doesn't really matter what you like (as long as you like shooting things) COD tries to be your everything. And generally it succeeds.

I'll edit this post later - I'm in a rush

• Like 1

COD represents fantastic value. You generally get

- an 8 hour+ campaign with high production values (visually attractive graphics, produced cut scenes and decent voice acting) that many people would pay for without playing any other of it's content

- a comprehensive multiplayer that many people would pay for without playing any other of it's content

- a co-op multiplayer mode (eg. squads or extinction) that many people would pay for without playing any other of it's content

etc. etc. 

- supported with DLC and kept relevant with consistent releases and advertising

Other companies sell games with a 3rd of the content of these games, COD contains all of them quite consistently.

It doesn't really matter what you like (as long as you like shooting things) COD tries to be your everything. And generally it succeeds.

I'll edit this post later - I'm in a rush

I think you nailed it on the head, Macsak88.  There's a ton of value for what you get in COD games and I'm very surprised that other hardcore gamers don't really see that.  Again, I think it's a tough sell to hardcore gamers that have written off the game series completely but you can't ignore the fact that the game has a substantial amount of content vs. the competition.

It comes down to gamers hating because of the success.  You see it all the time where forums are filled with hate messages about franchises that "sold out".  Amazing.