Platinum Review?

Hi I am wondering if I should go for the plat for this game. I am already halfway through to platting MGS4 and I plan to plat all the MGS before V comes out. I was wondering if this is worth the platinum? I have never played MGS2 so I have many questions.

How difficult is it? How long will it naturally take? Will it be worth it? What were the most difficult trophies?

Thanks

Edited by MF_2MOK

I say it depends on your skill with these kinds of games. The main challenge is getting first on all VR Missions, and I gave up on those. They are very strict in their requirements, and you cannot mess up in the slightest. But if you are good with that sort of thing, then I say go ahead. Otherwise, I think there's the trophy for getting a certain amount of dog tags across all the difficulties.

I say it depends on your skill with these kinds of games. The main challenge is getting first on all VR Missions, and I gave up on those. They are very strict in their requirements, and you cannot mess up in the slightest. But if you are good with that sort of thing, then I say go ahead. Otherwise, I think there's the trophy for getting a certain amount of dog tags across all the difficulties.

Are those the only two I should be looking out for? 

Are those the only two I should be looking out for? 

Apart from the grindy ones, yes. I forgot about the Snake Tales stuff though, but those shouldn't be too bad if you know your way around the main game.

Personally I didn't find the Snake Tales too challenging to complete just need to be patient and sparing with your items as there isn't many items to be used. 

There was two parts that was a struggle to do for me to get this platinum and that is the Extreme set of VR missions as some of these require so much precision and perfection. And I also found the Solidus boss battle a struggle on the hardest difficulty as it is damn near impossible to smash the :square: button enough when he is choking you out to get enough health to battle him. 

But if you take not on both of these things then you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the trophies :D 

• 2 weeks later...

I also found the Solidus boss battle a struggle on the hardest difficulty as it is damn near impossible to smash the :square: button enough when he is choking you out to get enough health to battle him. 

But if you take not on both of these things then you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the trophies :D

Heck, I don't think I ever even managed to beat MGS2 on Hard difficulty back on PS2, let alone on extreme.  I'm partway through my Normal run just now, so hopefully I can have more luck with Hard and Extreme this time round.  I have a feeling my Turbo controller may come in handy for that choking event...

Like 8/10

Some general things:

Number of Playthroughs Needed: 5

Missable Trophies: 12 

Glitched Trophies: 1 - Johnny On the Spot trophy_bronze.png

Complete Stealth  :gold: : Clear the game without entering alert mode (There are 3 scenarios where you will be at alert mode so this doesn't count)

Great Dane trophy_gold.png: Obtain 218 dog tags across all 5 difficulties on the Plant scenario (Yep, 5 Playthroughs to collect all dog tags)

Virtually Impossible trophy_gold.pngComplete all VR and Alternative missions (This will be the most difficult since there are different missions, some very easy and some really difficult)

The main goals are collecting dog tags and  finishing all the VR missions . You need to collect dog tags from the easiest difficulty to the hardest difficulty , but when you are playing snake part you just need to collect around 80 dog tags . You can collect 80 dog tags from easiest difficulty to HARD difficulty during the snake part and you can also familiarize the control and tactics of the game  :lol: For the VR part , most of the missions are easy and the trophy Virtually Impossible does not require you to reach the highest rank . There are only a few missions that are hard and require multiple playthroughs . 

I was stuck on the Harrier battle for 5hrs on extreme. Damn sea lice ate my rations. There's something like 200 vr missions to go through, some of them pretty difficult and creative. You do not have to get 1st place on all of them, just 50, which came naturally to me.

I love this game. I thought it'd be my fastest platinum, but it isn't looking like that anymore. When you do the VR Missions you might want to put your name as UUDDLRLRBA. I hear it unlocks all the missions from the beginning.

Like 8/10

Some general things:

Number of Playthroughs Needed: 5

Missable Trophies: 12 

Glitched Trophies: 1 - Johnny On the Spot trophy_bronze.png

Complete Stealth  :gold: : Clear the game without entering alert mode (There are 3 scenarios where you will be at alert mode so this doesn't count)

Great Dane trophy_gold.png: Obtain 218 dog tags across all 5 difficulties on the Plant scenario (Yep, 5 Playthroughs to collect all dog tags)

Virtually Impossible trophy_gold.pngComplete all VR and Alternative missions (This will be the most difficult since there are different missions, some very easy and some really difficult)

Very helpful, thank you. For Great Dane, do I have to get 218 on EACH difficulty or just total? 

Quit making these "Platinum Reviews" - it's called a fucking trophy guide.

I made this discussion for my benefit and for others interested in the difficulty of this game's platinum trophy without buying the game first so that I can assume whether or not it's worth my time. And these threads help me a lot by the helpful opinions of the community because they experienced them firsthand. 

PS. If you don't like my threads then simple don't click on it. 

Cheers

Edited by MF_2MOK

Very helpful, thank you. For Great Dane, do I have to get 218 on EACH difficulty or just total

Just 218  of the 243 in the Plant scenario (The trophy will be given to you at the post credits screen, just in case collect all)

Plant scenario

Plant-Very Easy= 43 Tags

Plant-Easy=         44 Tags

Plant-Normal=     49 Tags

Plant-Hard=         53 Tags

Plant-Extreme=   54 Tags 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As previously mentioned, the main obstacle in your path is likely to be the VR/Alternative missions.  The vast majority of them are actually quite easy, but a few are extremely difficult (yes, MGS1 Snake Variety mission 1, I'm lookin' at YOU!!)  This particular mission has you trying to snipe 31 fast-moving enemies before they reach a designated target near your position, and you'll need lightning reflexes and a degree of luck in order to beat it.  I've attempted it almost a hundred times now, and still can't come close to passing it - I just can't keep track of all the guards.  It's not helped by the fact that guards can withstand an absurd number of shots to the body before going down - I get that it's intended to be difficult, but realistically, there's not a human being alive who can withstand a single direct centre-mass hit from a high-powered sniper rifle, let alone 6 or 7 such hits.

Only 1 of the 5 Snake Tales may give you any real trouble, and some bosses on the Extreme difficulty (Fatman, the Harrier, the Tengus, the RAYs) will be problematic at first.  There's no need to play the Tanker chapter (Snake's chapter) of the game on Hard or Extreme if you're just after the trophies, as you'll collect enough dog tags for his special items if you're diligent on your Very Easy through Normal runs.  So this should shave a bit of time off your overall completion time.  However, the Tanker is quite easy even on Extreme, so you could always tackle it anyway and collect more dog tags if that's what takes your fancy.

Finally, the famous Big Boss ranking is not required for the platinum, so feel free to kill as many guards as you want during your playthroughs (after you've nabbed their tags, of course).  This could prove handy on Extreme, as guards will wake up fairly quickly after you tranquillize them; you don't need to worry about a dead guard waking up and shooting you, after all. ;)

• Like 1