What will Patches do now?

MoreTheVictim

So I was in the Catacombs and came across my all-time Archenemy, Patches the Hyena. From where I saw him, I couldn't reach him and I didn't know how to get to him so I just decided to pull out my bow and shoot him from behind. But unfortunately he went down a ladder and I thought he would come to find me and at some point I would be stabbed in the back by him. Since a necromancer somewhere was reviving all the damn skellies I just decided to move on towards Pinwheel and I haven't seen Patches anymore. I defeated Pinwheel and made my way back to the outside. I did died while trying to get out I'm not sure if that has affected his doing in some way. Now I wonder what will happen next. Will he still be at the Tomb of the Giants later in the game when I go there trying to trap me? Or will he be there, but being aggressive? Or will I come across him somewhere in the Catacombs while going towards the Tomb of the Giants? Or is there a chance he has fallen to his death somewhere in the Catacombs and I didn't noticed the souls being added to me? I really want to kill this guy as soon as I get the chance. I'm vey curious to what will happen now.

You'll have to give an update once you find out. I think he might be needed for part of the story in the Tomb of Giants. Also, I think you can buy something from him like a pyromancy, sunlight medal or whatever if you allow him to make it to the main hub.

Yeah I think he'll be there in the Tomb and just be agressive right away. I do wonder though, if he was able to find me if I had stayed at the spot where I shot him from. Or if I took it a bit slower to the boss. 

The final bridge before I was going 'inside' with all the coffins and a Titanite Demon rotated just before I reached it. I read that Patches does rotate a bridge once to screw you over but this bridge rotated in a good way. I was worried it was going to rotate back so I ran over it quickly. Just wonder if that bridge has something to do with Patches. Most areas in the Souls games are a maze to me so I have no idea which bridge is which one. I get lost quite often in the areas.

Yeah I think he'll be there in the Tomb and just be agressive right away. I do wonder though, if he was able to find me if I had stayed at the spot where I shot him from. Or if I took it a bit slower to the boss. 

The final bridge before I was going 'inside' with all the coffins and a Titanite Demon rotated just before I reached it. I read that Patches does rotate a bridge once to screw you over but this bridge rotated in a good way. I was worried it was going to rotate back so I ran over it quickly. Just wonder if that bridge has something to do with Patches. Most areas in the Souls games are a maze to me so I have no idea which bridge is which one. I get lost quite often in the areas.

If you get to the Catacombs and see the bridge rotating by itself, it means that Patches rotates the bridge for you.  If you cross the bridge, he will flip it and you will fall and die.  Anyway, there is a bonfire behide a hidden wall to the left of the ladder to Patches.  You should rest at that bonfire before attempting to cross the bridge.  I usually just pretend to cross the bridge (step on the bridge, then immediately roll back off the bridge, Patches will flip the bridge, but not fast enough to get me), then I pretend to be very angry at him for trying to kill me; he will apologize and give me a humanity (so basically, I don't have to die to get a humanity out of him :giggle:).

Btw, if you accidentally attack Patches or any friendly NPCs (blacksmith, merchant, or whoever), don't worry.  Just go ask the pardonner to pardon your sins and they will all be friends again like nothing have ever happened.

If you get to the Catacombs and see the bridge rotating by itself, it means that Patches rotates the bridge for you.  If you cross the bridge, he will flip it and you will fall and die.  Anyway, there is a bonfire behide a hidden wall to the left of the ladder to Patches.  You should rest at that bonfire before attempting to cross the bridge.  I usually just pretend to cross the bridge (step on the bridge, then immediately roll back off the bridge, Patches will flip the bridge, but not fast enough to get me), then I pretend to be very angry at him for trying to kill me; he will apologize and give me a humanity (so basically, I don't have to die to get a humanity out of him :giggle:).

Btw, if you accidentally attack Patches or any friendly NPCs (blacksmith, merchant, or whoever), don't worry.  Just go ask the pardonner to pardon your sins and they will all be friends again like nothing have ever happened.

But the bridge rotated the right way. And it didn't rotate to the spikes side. At first I just casually walked over it then at about halfway I decided to run and made it through it easily.

But I don't want to be friends with Patches. Who would want that lol? I just want to murder the crap out of him.

Edited by MrCostari

But the bridge rotated the right way. And it didn't rotate to the spikes side. At first I just casually walked over it then at about halfway I decided to run and made it through it easily.

But I don't want to be friends with Patches. Who would want that lol? I just want to murder the crap out of him.

If you don't see Patches standing near the handle to rotate the bridge, it's safe to pass.  If he killed you once by rotating the bridge, it's also safe to pass whether he's standing there or not.  Sure Patches can be a meany, but if you are kind to him, eventually, he will become a good merchant.   You can also get at least 6 humanities from him (as free gifts, I'm not talking about buying anything from him); so, there is a benefit for not killing him. 

If you don't see Patches standing near the handle to rotate the bridge, it's safe to pass.  If he killed you once by rotating the bridge, it's also safe to pass whether he's standing there or not.  Sure Patches can be a meany, but if you are kind to him, eventually, he will become a good merchant.   You can also get at least 6 humanities from him (as free gifts, I'm not talking about buying anything from him); so, there is a benefit for not killing him. 

So you are sure Patches is near the bridge that leads to the inside area, with the demon and many coffins of which one leads to Nito.

When I attacked him he went down a ladder probably trying to find me so why would the bridge turn itself? Just before it got there it turned for me, from the spikes up to the spikes to the side.

Was the good-hearted ghost twin of patches helping me or so? There's gotta be an explenation for that bridge magically rotating to help me out. You don't expect that kind of help in a Souls game, now do you :P

No the bridge rotated differently. It rotated from to the right side! I shot from behind, in that spot where you need to go to the right to push a handle so a bridge rotates, and across that bridge is a necromancer flanked by 2 skeletons. That same necromancer was reviving all the damn skellies lol. There's also a shitload of sword statue traps thingy things on the way to the handle. Patches was standing behind some rocks with his back to me. I couldn't get to him so I just shot him in the back which was kinda hard since the rocks where blocking my arrows. I did hit him and he went down some ladder in front of him. I wish he had found me, why didn't he? 

Do you now know the place I mean? Is he near the bridge that leads inside? 

Why would that bridge rotate itself if he wasn't there??

That bridge rotated in my favour!

Check about 16:00 in this vid: 

That area I mean. At about 16:20: you can see Patches behind the rocks.

EDIT2: Damnit! I am wrong again. That bridge doesn't lead into the inside area. Atleast not directly. The guy in this vid took a shortcut so I have to watch another vid to check what I am actually talking about. Damn! This seems to happen every time I explain a situation to someone of which I feel I'm 100% sure of that it happened exactly that way and I end up being wrong. Maybe I rotated that brdge myself but I just forgot. But sure I would know? Well it seems like I can trust my memory anymore. I'll have to watch another vid to check it.

EDIT3: That bridge that rotated is the one that leads to a foggate and I definitely did not rotated it myself since I did not went up the ladder and even if I did the bridge would have been rotated way before I was standing in front of it.

So perhaps I scared off Patches and he decided to help me out I don't know what the hell happened with that bridge.

I'll check the Catacombs out tomorrow, see if I can find Patches, see if that bridge rotates again by itself and light the hidden bonfire. (where is the 3rd bonfire BTW?) It's too late now lol.

Edited by MrCostari

So I was in the Catacombs and came across my all-time Archenemy, Patches the Hyena. From where I saw him, I couldn't reach him and I didn't know how to get to him so I just decided to pull out my bow and shoot him from behind. But unfortunately he went down a ladder and I thought he would come to find me and at some point I would be stabbed in the back by him. Since a necromancer somewhere was reviving all the damn skellies I just decided to move on towards Pinwheel and I haven't seen Patches anymore. I defeated Pinwheel and made my way back to the outside. I did died while trying to get out I'm not sure if that has affected his doing in some way. Now I wonder what will happen next. Will he still be at the Tomb of the Giants later in the game when I go there trying to trap me? Or will he be there, but being aggressive? Or will I come across him somewhere in the Catacombs while going towards the Tomb of the Giants? Or is there a chance he has fallen to his death somewhere in the Catacombs and I didn't noticed the souls being added to me? I really want to kill this guy as soon as I get the chance. I'm vey curious to what will happen now.

Uhm you do realise he sells the Mask of the Mother and Mask of the Child, right? Both are very helpfull against the Four Kings. For that he needs to go to Firelink Shrine as a merchant. If he's aggro'd, you can go to Oswald the Pardoner to de-aggro him. Btw when Patches asks you if you're a cleric, answer 'No'. Otherwise he'll try to kill you.

Uhm you do realise he sells the Mask of the Mother and Mask of the Child, right? Both are very helpfull against the Four Kings. For that he needs to go to Firelink Shrine as a merchant. If he's aggro'd, you can go to Oswald the Pardoner to de-aggro him. Btw when Patches asks you if you're a cleric, answer 'No'. Otherwise he'll try to kill you.

I got the Mask of the Child from Pinwheel. :)

I'm sorry, I already murdered the crap out of this a-hole face. I went back there this morning and once I came up behind him again (with the rocks between us) he once again went down the ladder. I continued through the area and once I got to the bridge it, once again, rotated to the good side. I looked behind me and saw Patches up there. This time I did not run across the bridge but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't rotate back since that didn't happen the first time. So I went up the ladder and absolutely killed the crap out of him. Then went to activate the hidden bonfire. Still don't know where the 3rd bonfire is :S. Guess it doesn't really matter that much.

What was done is done.  Let's move on from here.  FYI, there are only 2 bonfire in the catacomb; there is no third.  Also, there are only 2 bonfire in the Tomb of Giants too. 

Yeah I found that out a little late. The hidden bonfire is displayed twice on the map on the wikidot. The map is just so confusing I didn't know it was the same one. Untill I took a good look. 

as long as you get away without killing them of course :) harder done then said. also take into account this costs real expensive, i believe soul level x 2000 or something like that. cheaper to keep a cool head :)

as long as you get away without killing them of course :) harder done then said. also take into account this costs real expensive, i believe soul level x 2000 or something like that. cheaper to keep a cool head :)

I just killed the pardonner in my 2nd PT. I bought everything I needed from him and didn't needed him anymore. Plus I didn't approve of his so called 'business'. Why does killing someone who annoys me by the fact that they exist make me a sinner? Almost every NPC eventually turns hollow so I'm just doing them a favor by putting them out of their misery. Right? Nothing wrong with that.

:P

Edited by MrCostari

I just killed the pardonner in my 2nd PT. I bought everything I needed from him and didn't needed him anymore. Plus I didn't approve of his so called 'business'. Why does killing someone who annoys me by the fact that they exist make me a sinner? Almost every NPC eventually turns hollow so I'm just doing them a favor by putting them out of their misery. Right? Nothing wrong with that.

:P

very well said sir! as a general rule, killing those that piss us off for no specific reason is very justifiable... i did this too in my second playthrough and ended up with no one to trade my crap with :P
  • Like 1

It's pretty easy to get away.  In fact, it's easier done than said. :D   Just use the bone to return to the last bonfire and rest; all NPCs' and enermies' positions will be reset to their original location.  Hint, you can also use the bone during a boss battle too, assuming that you are by yourself and all your phantoms are dead/returned to their world. 

very well said sir! as a general rule, killing those that piss us off for no specific reason is very justifiable... i did this too in my second playthrough and ended up with no one to trade my crap with :P

What does the Pardonner ever done to you?  IMO, killing those that piss you off is never justifiable!  Although Patches may not be a good guy, but we are living in a world full of bad people.  Some people are million times more evil than Patches, but if you kill them, you are no better than they are.  Also in Dark Souls, the blue phantoms will come to punish the sinners.

Edited by Sara-Rosecult

• 4 weeks later...