Finally beat Strider!

movievet-dotcom

7 hours ago, skateak said:

I know I am necro-ing this thread but you never went back to the game? You ought to give it a shot a again. I am another one of those people that didn't really have any difficulty with the game outside of one boss fight. I am usually not that great at games like this either. I jumped right into Hard and beat that on my first playthrough and then hopped on Normal for the speedrun. The only issue I really had with the game was the horrible in-game map and how hard it was to find and keep track of the collectibles. 

Thanks for the reminder. I've been cleaning up a lot of games recently, and this one was completely out of my memory. Now, it's back!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Have to say I’m not particularity good at Metroidvania style games and platformers but I just thought this game was an absolute breeze, I think I know which bit you might of struggled with at the end of the lift section with the two brain walkers that just spam those homing ice missiles, it really wasn’t that hard, especially if you have been collecting upgrades through the game. 
I’m assuming the low completion percentage is down to the game being a free ps+ game a while back  and most people not caring about trophies, I’d have to agree with the guides difficulty assessment of 3/10 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I beat it today as well. I don't think it was hard at all, like 3/10 platinum difficulty. That being said, I did my first playthrough on hard, and it took me a while to get past very first area. I was like 'wth, did I get myself in trouble by starting this game?'. I'm a bit OCD about completing games. Anyway, it got easier quick, and speedrun on normal was a breeze (did it in 3 hours, and I'm slow).

One thing I wish I was aware before starting the game, is to keep track of large health container pickups. I spent obscene amount of time revisiting areas because i was afraid I missed some (I didn't).

• 1 year later...

So I just started my first playthrough on Easy for the collectibles, story,and learning boss strats-just wanted to ask about backtracking lol I know theres an air drop in the very first stage and wanted to know when and how do you get back there? And I'm guessing theres portals that allow it as well? I'm still way in the beginning-just finished the third boss.

13 hours ago, yojimbo87x said:

So I just started my first playthrough on Easy for the collectibles, story,and learning boss strats-just wanted to ask about backtracking lol I know theres an air drop in the very first stage and wanted to know when and how do you get back there? And I'm guessing theres portals that allow it as well? I'm still way in the beginning-just finished the third boss.

Every area is accessible once you obtain every ability in game. And, yes, there'll be plenty of backtracking.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 9:45 AM, zizimonster said:

Every area is accessible once you obtain every ability in game. And, yes, there'll be plenty of backtracking.

Thanks man! I'm about to board the Balrog (cheeky SF reference Capcom) and guessing thats the point of no return?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was stressed out about Hard Mode that I didn't even touch it after beating the game on Normal. Turns out you're just mashing Square a lot more to get through enemies. 

The really annoying part about Hard Mode is traversing older areas to find collectables. Getting pot shot or knocked down by random enemies is really annoying. 

Getting all the upgrades almost made the game like Normal though.