P.T. From 7780s STUDIO is "Free" to Play on PS4

DarknessKey92

Konami is quickly getting on my very bad side. I mean, first they announce that MGS5 will not be one game (and will also lack a platinum trophy), then they kick Kojima off their staff and wipe him from everything related to Konami, and now this. Seriously, just because Silent Hills is cancelled why should we be affected by their horrible business model? Leave the gamers out of your bullshit Konami!!!!!

They ARE leaving 'gamers' (ridiculous term, but okay) out of thier 'bullshit' - Konami have been slowly gettingout of the console game business - and with good reason - its risky business, and thier health clubs and gambling and phone games business makes more money.

• Like 1

I kind of reject the notion that Konami is to blame for this. Konami approached Kojima to make Silent Hills based on comments he was making about using his game engine for something other than Metal Gear games, not the other way around. Asking Kojima to help reboot Silent Hill doesn't sound like a game company looking to get out of the video game business, that sounds like a company doubling down on their assets, especially after Kojima helped them out with Castlevania. Konami's not dumb, they know who their cash cow is when it comes to games, that's why Kojima's name is on the box. Kojima is kind of like the Quentin Tarantino of video games, his name carries weight even if he doesn't necessarily do anything technical in the project, and Konami knows it. Why go through all the effort to attach Kojima, plus a major Hollywood director and popular actor to a big project, then not do everything in your power to hang on to your cash cow? No, something bigger is going on here and I'm more inclined to believe that it's Kojima being a dick (which he's known to be) than it being Konami throwing away their video game division after going through all that effort.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if we will be able to take the PT demo over to the PS5?

I've done a backup of my PS4 hard drive, so I've always got a copy for my PS4, but those backups won't work on the PS5.

EDIT: So I guess not as per Konami. However, can I transfer the demo off my PS4 onto an external hard drive and then plug it into my PS5? Will have to wait to try it out.

Edited by DysectorZA

PT won’t be backwards compatible with the PS5

Konami's demo will unfortunately be left on the PS4

PT will not be backwards compatible on the PS5, Konami has confirmed to GamesRadar.

In an email sent to us earlier today, Konami said that "the content will not be available on the PS Store, so users won’t be able to re-download the content through the backwards compatibility feature to the PS5."

Last week, we reported on how PT would likely have been saved through the PS5's backwards compatibility function. Sadly though, Konami has now revealed that PT will unfortunately only exist on the PS4, due to the reasons outlined above. 

https://www.gamesradar.com/pt-wont-be-backwards-compatible-with-the-ps5/

• Like 1

That statement by Konami doesn't confirm anything, they're just saying the game isn't available to download anymore. You can transfer games already downloaded on your PS4 to the PS5 via a LAN cable, so the only way we'll know if PT is actually compatible or not is when somebody tests it. According to Sony, there are only 10 PS4 games incompatible with the PS5, so the chances are pretty high that it'll work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

That statement by Konami doesn't confirm anything, they're just saying the game isn't available to download anymore. You can transfer games already downloaded on your PS4 to the PS5 via a LAN cable, so the only way we'll know if PT is actually compatible or not is when somebody tests it. According to Sony, there are only 10 PS4 games incompatible with the PS5, so the chances are pretty high that it'll work.

I think it's very likely that this doesn't apply to what was tested and reported because a.) it's a demo/teaser, not a game, and b.) it's been delisted and is no longer officially available.

That being said, I agree that the statement proves nothing and it's possible it will work via digital transfer, we'll just have to wait and confirm for ourselves.

25 minutes ago, Kotetsu42x said:

I think it's very likely that this doesn't apply to what was tested and reported because a.) it's a demo/teaser, not a game, and b.) it's been delisted and is no longer officially available.

That being said, I agree that the statement proves nothing and it's possible it will work via digital transfer, we'll just have to wait and confirm for ourselves.

I think you misread what I posted. I know PT wouldn't have been tested by Sony. The point was that if only 10 games out of the thousands that were tested don't work, there's a very high chance PT will work on the PS5.

• 3 weeks later...

Well that sucks.  I likely won't be hanging onto my PS4 forever as long as the majority of my collection is backwards compatible, and I'm not going to sell my PSN account to try and shake some money out of desperate P.T. fans on eBay... so I guess it'll officially disappear finally after this teaser survived a console generation and several PS4 transfers.

It's even more of a shame that it did work and they just blocked access to it.  Granted it's a pretty big blemish on Konami's record (whoevers fault it was) but its a little teaser game that people love.  Stop trying so desperately to bury it.

EDIT: I don't think we'll ever see another game/demo as cleverly announced, designed and marketed as P.T. was.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 11 months later...

Well i've just discovered that the "redownload" method works even if you simply owned it, it's not true that you need to have previously downloaded the demo when it was working. However it took me several downloads of that "SUWI" thing and some minor reconfiguration of my PC settings because it didn't work. It's amusing.

• 1 month later...