Mission Mode - give me strength!

StewartBros

I am seriously about to give up on ever passing the Mission Mode in SFxTK.... I just cannot beat missions 17, 19 & 20 to save myself.  For mission 19, I usually don't live long enough to get to Zangief, and if I do, I generally have so little health remaining that he takes me down within the first 20 seconds.  I can usually perfect King, Hugo tends to give me trouble and can take away a third of my health before I even know what's happening, and Marduk is just insane.  In mission 19, Ogre is a pushover if I spam Zangief's Powerbomb, but Akuma just tears me a new one, sometimes defeating me before I can land more than a couple of hits on him.  And for mission 20, I don't think I've even reached the halfway point of this one yet!  Getting past the Street Fighters isn't such a problem, as I'm wise to their tactics from the SFIV games - it's usually the Tekken crew that give me trouble.  I've been playing Mission Mode off and on for months now, and I simply cannot beat these 3 missions.

Even if I spam the likes of Zangief's Powerbomb and Lariat, or Rolento's Patriot Circle, those moves only tend to get me so far before the AI manages to get past them and hand me my ass.  I've seen a few videos where players have beaten the missions by basically using those moves alone, and try as I might, I just can't emulate their success.  Can anyone suggest some other strategies that might work for me?  How did you guys beat these damned missions?  I'd really like to be able to complete them, but if it doesn't happen soon, I'll just abandon it and give up on the plat forever. :(

Thanks in advance.

" Giving up is for the weak stewart " , "now get some nuts and go back there!"

Hah, but a guy can only face defeat so many times before he has to say "screw this" and move on to pastures new! :P

What team do you use?

For the most part, I tend to use Zangief and Cammy, so that I have 1 character with immense strength and 1 with great speed.  For the aforementioned missions though, I've been tending to replace Cammy with Rolento or Kazuya, for the sake of having reliable and fairly safe moves that can be easily spammed via the Super Easy Input gem.  Zangief and Kazuya got me through missions 4 and 14, which had also been giving me a bit of trouble, but 17, 19 and 20 are just crazy.  Akuma in particular is ridiculously overpowered in mission 19 - I'd have trouble beating him even if he didn't have his regeneration gem.

I've read posts about using cross-up combos on Akuma, which supposedly also work well on the other missions, but I have yet to try this technique out.  Any tips?

Hah, but a guy can only face defeat so many times before he has to say "screw this" and move on to pastures new! :P

For the most part, I tend to use Zangief and Cammy, so that I have 1 character with immense strength and 1 with great speed.  For the aforementioned missions though, I've been tending to replace Cammy with Rolento or Kazuya, for the sake of having reliable and fairly safe moves that can be easily spammed via the Super Easy Input gem.  Zangief and Kazuya got me through missions 4 and 14, which had also been giving me a bit of trouble, but 17, 19 and 20 are just crazy.  Akuma in particular is ridiculously overpowered in mission 19 - I'd have trouble beating him even if he didn't have his regeneration gem.

I've read posts about using cross-up combos on Akuma, which supposedly also work well on the other missions, but I have yet to try this technique out.  Any tips?

I feel your pain m8. I suck in those kind of games ( not saying you suck ). All i can do is wish u luck or more practice.

I never played much tekken so I sticked to SF characters. I picked Ryu/Akuma and went for the easy BnB combos. Play passively and spend your meter after easy hit confirms.

Oh and true warriors never give up, remember that yeah

Messatsu!!!

Edited by Goekie

have not finished it myself - sfxtk a little tiresome for me at the moment...

while working on the ogre/akuma one i noticed that a faster character helped me in avoiding/punishing akuma's supers (not sure about your zangief there)

ogre (and akuma as well actually) require good defense and probably something you know already is - this game is alot about the gems - seems you have to abuse them

Well, I FINALLY managed to beat # 17 by equipping Zangief with the Super Easy Input and 2 Strength gems, and Bison with 3 Strength gems, then spamming Gief's Lariat and PowerBomb and making liberal use of Bison's MK>HK combo, with a few Scissors Kicks thrown in when it was safe to do so.  I reckon this mission alone took me 100+ tries before I managed to conquer it, and one thing is for damn sure - I'll never, ever play that evil SOB again!

Now, 19 & 20.  I played # 20 a few days ago and made it up to Chun-Li & Cammy, by using the strategies above.  They were working pretty well, but for whatever reason, Chunners and Cammy just obliterated me.  I'll try it again soon and see if I can repeat and expand upon that temporary success.  Should I try equipping different gems, such as Fortitude or Iron Wall?

And as for 19.... Akuma can rot in hell.  That is all. :P

• 4 months later...

What about just going all out and filling each character's slots up with the best Power Gems available?  Obviously it wouldn't work wonders for my Life recovery, but Akuma takes more damage than any other character in the game anyway, so if I max out my strength attributes, technically I should be able to annihilate him - providing that I can actually land enough hits on him.  That's been my main problem so far - I just can't hit him often enough.  I'll try this method soon and see whether it works...

• 2 weeks later...

if i have not wasted enough of your time just like to add...

/ going on memory here because im bored with sfxtk currently,

/ if i remember correctly i think he has some sort of regeneration, speed and damage gems

/ also i think he has unlimited meter and the regen only kicks in when his life reaches a certain level (so its like 2 life bars or however long it lasts)

- so you must have great defense and i feel you must take advantage of the opening after his super to land an additional bit of damage

/ the super must be blocked while standing but depending on when it hits you, you might not have enough time to counter

/ also if you react quick enough you can avoid it entirely by jumping back before he comes down and then time your attack/counter

- what gems you equip is down to your play style but you definitely also need regen (like Dan says ^^)

/ if you trading blows use some defense boost, speed if you not fast enough to counter, meter boost if you rely on EX and super moves and damage does help

/ i think you also have to choose the right activation that suits you so you get the boost when you need/want it

/ lastly be mindful of the negative side effects of some of the gems too

i would also set up a similar match in training to get use to his patterns

give him hell

Hey, thought I'd share how I beat missions 19 and 20.

I don't really remember what gems are used, probably Sample 5 for both my characters, Kazuya and Ryu. I used Kazuya mainly, but switched to Ryu when I needed to preserve hp. Basically, I just spammed the following:

Low medium kick -> quarter circle back + LP or HP. The LP variant causes a ground bounce, which can be combo'd into low medium kick -> quarter circle forward HP, which does some nice damage. If you whiff or it gets blocked you are susceptible to eating quite a bit of damage, so to prevent this, when my opponent is not in the corner, I always use QCB + HP. The HP variant pushes the opponent back so even if it gets blocked, you should be safe. The range is also decent so it's a lot harder to whiff, too. And once I get the opponent into the corner, I switch back to QCB + LP - if it get's blocked you just simply do a tag cancel to bring in your partner and can follow up with a throw, for example.

I hope that makes a little bit of sense. Keep practising and good luck!

• 1 year later...

I just completed all missions recently and I can share my strategy, I used Zangief method spaming his Lariat and Powerbomb grab and second character Hugo, I only used him when Zangief was low on health thou. Some characters are weak against Lariat and some against Powerbomb grab, hardest missions were 4th and 19th in my opinion. I think I was a bit lucky on 17th mission beating it in 7-8 tries. Fighting Akuma in mission 19 I recomend hitting him with Lariat and once it lands try to Powerbomb him as long as you can. Akuma is hardest oponent in this mode, he can spam his Misogi move as much as he can and it takes half of your HP. Its possible to avoid his Super Art thou, when you see the animation when he jumps up to punch you to the ground from above quickly jump away and block, it still takes away some HP but at least not that much. ​A.I seems to be really agresive sometimes and some other times they just stand there waitng for your Powerbomb grab xD so I advise to keep trying. Mission 20 is easy by just spaming Powerbomb, it looks like a pain fighting 19 teams in a row but those guys are a pushovers.

About gems I never used any particular except in few missions like the one where you need to survive for 60 seconds, seeing as almost all gems must be bought with microtransactions lol I ignored them most of the time.

Edited by ReimiSaionji9742

• 3 weeks later...

I just completed all missions recently and I can share my strategy, I used Zangief method spaming his Lariat and Powerbomb grab and second character Hugo, I only used him when Zangief was low on health thou. Some characters are weak against Lariat and some against Powerbomb grab, hardest missions were 4th and 19th in my opinion. I think I was a bit lucky on 17th mission beating it in 7-8 tries. Fighting Akuma in mission 19 I recomend hitting him with Lariat and once it lands try to Powerbomb him as long as you can. Akuma is hardest oponent in this mode, he can spam his Misogi move as much as he can and it takes half of your HP. Its possible to avoid his Super Art thou, when you see the animation when he jumps up to punch you to the ground from above quickly jump away and block, it still takes away some HP but at least not that much. ​A.I seems to be really agresive sometimes and some other times they just stand there waitng for your Powerbomb grab xD so I advise to keep trying. Mission 20 is easy by just spaming Powerbomb, it looks like a pain fighting 19 teams in a row but those guys are a pushovers.

About gems I never used any particular except in few missions like the one where you need to survive for 60 seconds, seeing as almost all gems must be bought with microtransactions lol I ignored them most of the time.

Thanks for the inspiration!

I tough it wasn't possible to do all the missions using the cheap tactics of Zangief + Hugo, but that post made me try the missions again a few days ago and I finely managed to beat the first 18 on both PS3 and Vita versions of the game, only 19 and 20 to go!

I would just want to know 1 thing, is there any reliable way to punish Misogi with Zangief? And any tips to handle Akuma when his speed gem activates (really, he normally is a mobile character, but with that thing, he seems unstoppable..).

Thanks for the inspiration!

I tough it wasn't possible to do all the missions using the cheap tactics of Zangief + Hugo, but that post made me try the missions again a few days ago and I finely managed to beat the first 18 on both PS3 and Vita versions of the game, only 19 and 20 to go!

I would just want to know 1 thing, is there any reliable way to punish Misogi with Zangief? And any tips to handle Akuma when his speed gem activates (really, he normally is a mobile character, but with that thing, he seems unstoppable..).

Nice to hear that, unfortunately I m not sure if there is a way to punish Misogi. After avoiding it I quickly dashed forward and Lariat him, once it lands and his is on the ground prepare to Powerbomb him the moment he gets up. If he stops your Powerbomb chain, Lariat him again and repeat Powerbomb until he goes down. Thats how I won. You will need a bit of luck to win this with my method as I m a noob in fighting games  :P 

Nice to hear that, unfortunately I m not sure if there is a way to punish Misogi. After avoiding it I quickly dashed forward and Lariat him, once it lands and his is on the ground prepare to Powerbomb him the moment he gets up. If he stops your Powerbomb chain, Lariat him again and repeat Powerbomb until he goes down. Thats how I won. You will need a bit of luck to win this with my method as I m a noob in fighting games :P

Thanks.

That's bad that we can't punish him for spamming it..

I'm also having a hard time to land any powerbomb when he gets up.. usually I wiff it (had the same problem a lot of the time with Sagat on mission 4) or he jumps..

I guess that I will just keep trying.. but having to do it not once but twice will be a pain..

And I'm a noob at SF (or 2D fighters in general).. I'm only decent at Tekken.. so our expertise level should be about the same :lol:

Edited by Han_the_Dragon

Ok.. Already beat it on PS3.. can't believe how lucky I got.. he barely did anything, not even a single Misogi or anything.. I even got Gold with 89% Health remaining :lol:

Now to beat it on the Vita before I try mission 20 on both.. but I don't think that I will get so lucky again so soon.. it may take a while until I beat mission 19 on the Vita..

As for my strategy, it's the same as  ReimiSaionji9742.. Gems for Zangief were Super Easy Input lvl1 (#008, it only gives 5% attack reduction, instead of the 10% of other gem), Immense Power lvl1 (#009, Connect with 3 Specials) and Divine Speed lvl3 (#128, Connect with 5 Specials). I never bought any gems, but those show as adquire and have the cart symbol, so maybe they gave them for free, or I got them for free during a store bug or something (like I got a set of alternate costumes for free, not sure if those were actually free in the past..).

I didn't used Hugo at all, so he's gems are irrelevant..

Edit: As I said, it would take a while to beat #19 again on the Vita.. but it's done, so it only took me 2 days (about 10+ hours of real play).. Now, both #20 to go :) , just hope that it isn't to bad, since it's quite long..

This time had to use Hugo to finish Akuma (well, I just Tag him in and did his Super using meter, since Zangief was low on life.. and Akuma was near dead and his regen had stopped.. match ended at 3 seconds of time out :lol:).

Edit 2: 

Mission 20 really it's much easier.. I'm done with the Missions, and got the plat on the Vita, now I need a lot of grind to get the Platinum on PS3, but the hard part is done..

As for what I did on mission 20:

Zangief and Hugo with Super Easy Input lvl1 (#008) Immense Power lvl 1 (#009) and Harmonize lvl1 (#181).

Only used Zangief usual strategy, and did a cross assault when Zangief was low on health, to recover his health (this usually would lead to finish the match..), hardest ones were probably Balrog/Dhalsim if they were abusing lows, Zangief if he has a chance to grab me and Kazuya.. rarely could manage to lock him in the grabs, since he loves to jump.. 

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did this both on ps vita and PS3 in a few hours. For mission 19 use cammy and zangief (in that order) tag in zangief and spam atomic bombs to quickly dispatch ogre. For akuma you'll be starting the match with cammy, DO NOT tag in zangief unless it's absolutely necessary. Here's the stragedy. Simply jump in with an overhead HK then crouch HK for a knockdown then crouch block near him to trigger his wake up grab as soon as she go for the grab cannon spike him and dash back so he can spam fireballs (fireballs are actually good) they leave him vulnerable to another jump in HK then crouch HK. Just rinse and repeat while blocking his super moves. Btw don't panic when he starts to regenerate health there's no way you can stop it just focus on your spacing to trigger his fire balls and don't jump in before he fireball or hell uppercut you

I did this both on ps vita and PS3 in a few hours. For mission 19 use cammy and zangief (in that order) tag in zangief and spam atomic bombs to quickly dispatch ogre. For akuma you'll be starting the match with cammy, DO NOT tag in zangief unless it's absolutely necessary. Here's the stragedy. Simply jump in with an overhead HK then crouch HK for a knockdown then crouch block near him to trigger his wake up grab as soon as she go for the grab cannon spike him and dash back so he can spam fireballs (fireballs are actually good) they leave him vulnerable to another jump in HK then crouch HK. Just rinse and repeat while blocking his super moves. Btw don't panic when he starts to regenerate health there's no way you can stop it just focus on your spacing to trigger his fire balls and don't jump in before he fireball or hell uppercut you

Mission 17 and 20 just requires proper health management (like injustice gods among us) harmonize,easy special input and vitality are your friend use your best ones. Zangief atomic power bomb works on most characters, use cammy's for those he can't grab, her cannon spike has very good armor. The real stragedy is alternating your fighters since they both regain health st the end of each fight so don't put too much pressure on one fighter, if one of them hits 50% or Lower in health swap in the next fighter

Edited by Highpark_united

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished mission mode today. I had done 1-18, and 20 previously using zangief+hugo with super easy input on their grabs and it worked really well. Mission 19 however took me about 2-3 days alone untill I started to get a good feeling on it.

For that mission, I used Yoshimitsu+Zangief with Yoshimitsu going first. I used Yoshimitsu’s charge attack into his super to take out Ogre, with all 3 gems being power gems that activate upon his super as well as his charge attack with the same input.

For Akuma, I used Yoshimitsu’s jump-forward heavy attack followed up with his low heavy attack when Akuma threw a fireball out. You jump over the fireball and hit him twice. When your health gets low, switch to Zangief but only when it’s safe because he will do a Misogi when you switch characters if you’re not careful and you will get caught in it everytime. With Zangief out, I used mainly Lariat which works really well on him, and money fist as well. In particular, when Akuma does Misogi, block it with Zangief and then follow up with an EX money fist which will bounce Akuma, and while he’s in the air do a Lariat. This little 2-hit combo is effective and does a good chunk of damage. If you get Akuma in a corner, spam Lariat and you should be able to hit him multiple times as he's getting up. But always be ready to block Misogi and follow up with the EX money fist+Lariat. I used straight power gems that activate on normal and special moves. I wasn’t a fan of the super easy input for this mission because it lowers your overall damage and you need as much damage as you can get with Akuma’s regenerating health bar. This means you will have to learn the input for Money fist, but it’s not too difficult with a few minutes of practice in training mode. Don’t be afraid to switch back to Yoshimitsu and land some heavy attacks if he has a considerable amount more life than Zangief remaining.

I got this strategy from a youtube video by the way. If you search “SfxT mission 19”, I believe it’s the first video or close to it.

Sometimes the AI will seem psychic and know exactly what you’re going to do, and counter it perfectly. But other times the AI will act noticeably more stupid, and those times will be your best chance of winning. With a little luck, you will get this eventually. 

Edited by Deep_Space_5D
  • Like 3