Reply to Most Recent Platinum

cr1s
By cr1s,
#371 - Strike Vector EX     Ace of Aces
Unlock all Trophies.   Difficulty: 3/10 Enjoyment: 6/10   Ugh, this game is such a mixed bag. I expected more out of it but damn, it sure has a few noticeable shortcomings.

First of all, it's way too short. Like seriously, the story is only 3 hours long. That's nowhere near enough time for the plot and the characters to shine, which is a pity because it had a good premise. It feels like a lazy/rushed job, as if it were something that the developers decided to include at the last moment. Such a game deserves to be expanded into a fully-fledged game, especially since we barely get these kinda games. But it looks like the developers decided it would be a better idea to break it down into two (or more) parts, if the ending is anything to go by. Also, that voice acting... Just no. So awkward.

Second of all, that soundtrack... The same track that repeats over and over and over again in multiplayer and there's barely any difference in single player. How hard would it have been to make a proper soundtrack for this game? Come on, at least make a few more tracks...

Third of all, the A.I. isn't particularly smart. The entire game must've been set to easy difficulty, because that's what it felt like. I usually wouldn't complain about it, but the A.I.'s behavioral pattern is blatantly inconsistent in multiplayer. Some of the weird things I've noticed: Enemy A.I. only attacking you in Capture The Flag if you attack them first or if one of them has the flag. "Alan" dropping a Stalker Mine that ends up killing one of his teammates 90% of the time. And he just had to end up in my team every time. It didn't really matter to me since I rarely ran into them, but it's still weird. Enemy A.I. standing still near the Central Zone in King of the Hill even when you shoot at them, making them easy targets. It would've been more fun playing against human players, but surprise surprise, the multiplayer is dead. I only ran into a single person while playing, and I'm pretty sure they only booted up the game because they were bored and didn't have anything else to play.   Thankfully, it's not all bad. There are some good features in this game. For one, the flying controls are well done and don't feel convoluted. Flying around is fun and something you'll get used to very quickly. There's a nice assortment of weapons and abilities to complement that, so you can customize your ship to better suit the situation at hand. There's also a lot of other customizable stuff (avatars, decals, etc.), which is neat for those who are into that. The maps are quite big and, while a couple of them are bland, most of them are well designed. You can switch between third-person and first-person view on the fly, both of which are well made and serve their purpose. The graphics are cool and the gameplay just feels smooth overall.   For a game made by a studio called "Ragequit Corporation", the platinum is easy. As I've previously mentioned, the game feels like it's on easy difficulty, and this also applies to every aspect of the trophy list. Getting the platinum is comprised of 3 stages: Finishing the story and getting the 2 mission-related trophies. One of the latter requires you to finish a race within 47 seconds, which is made easy by switching to first-person view. Getting the multiplayer trophies. Nothing hard here since you can play against bots that can be easily outsmarted, although a couple of multiplayer trophies require a small bit of luck. Getting a gold medal on each challenge. This game features a total of 30 challenges, most of which are extremely short. One thing that might make them seem daunting is looking at the leaderboards, as that will probably make you think that you'll have to complete them as fast as possible, but when you can shoot additional targets and gain a bunch of extra points for no effort in order to compensate for lost time and still get a gold medal this way, this makes time less relevant. So yeah, I think this game has a nice concept, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.