Most Recent Platinum

Muff

17 hours ago, Serethyn said:

Laf972f.png

#110: Okami HD

pYW0DtX.jpg

What a beautiful, beautiful game this is. It brims with creativity and colour, it's a true feast for the eyes, and barring some mild frustrations here and there, it also plays like a dream. I'm so glad Capcom re-re-released this true classic for PS4, finally allowing me to give it the time it deserves.

You play as an avatar of the Shinto Sun Goddess Amaterasu, who has manifested in the form of a white wolf. The people of ancient, mythological Nippon are plagued by demons, and a curse spread by the vile eight-headed serpent Orochi chokes the land. Although there is a well known legend of a white wolf defeating Orochi 100 years ago, the people nowadays have all but given up on the gods, not even recognising Amaterasu for who she is any more. It's up to you, and your sprite companion Issun, to work miracles, to restore Nippon's natural beauty, to slay demons, and to defeat the darkness so that the people can live their lives in splendour once more.

There's something endlessly satisfying about using Amaterasu's divine powers to rejuvenate withered landscapes. Even if the game didn't feature a satisfying (if perhaps not as intricate as you'd expect from a Clover Studios game) combat system, I would've had lots of fun merely exploring dungeons and healing the land. It's also hard to understate just how important Okami's famous art style is: I genuinely believe the game wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable had it sported generic PS2-era graphics instead of the wonderful style inspired by Japanese ukiyo-e woodcuts and watercolour paintings. If ever there was a game to prove that graphics do matter, it would be this one.

Whilst I have no reservations calling Okami a classic, that's not to say it's flawless. My biggest gripe comes with the aforementioned sprite companion Issun. Put simply, the little bugger is grating. He consistently gives everyone rude nicknames (calling Amaterasu "furball", the dread Orochi is "serpent-breath", and so on), is incapable of addressing female characters without constant come-ons ("cutie", "sweetie", "babe", "don't you worry your pretty little head over it, honey", even frequently using "busty babe" to a girl's face multiple times), and since he is based on the infamous fairy companions that tend to speak for Link in the Zelda games, he also frequently explains very simple game mechanics to you over and over and over again. I understand the writers tried to give him a distinct personality instead of simply having him screech "HEY! LISTEN!" for 50 hours, but I personally could've done with less of the annoying bug's chattering. It's not enough to ruin the game by any means, but I'd be lying if I said he didn't annoy me.

The trophy list is in line with most lists for Capcom remasters: you effectively have to do everything, and do it in the best way possible. So don't just expect the standard completionist tasks like finding all collectibles and maxing out your abilities. At the end of the game, you'll also be ranked based on the amount of deaths you've suffered, the quantity of demons you've slain, the total sum of yen you've accumulated, the Praise (EXP) you've earned, and the number of Demon Fangs (special currency) you've wrested from demons. I wouldn't say it's extremely difficult, but it certainly requires some effort.

Now all that's left for me to do is to let loose one of Amaterasu's signature Victory Howls!

Really glad you enjoyed the game and your review was excellent.

• Like 3