Most Recent Platinum

Muff

7 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

spacer.pngLc329e0.png
1Leb3c57.png
:platinum: Platinum #179 - Skullgirls 2nd Encore
~ Another Seven Years ~
Difficulty: 9/10 (personal estimate)  //  Enjoyment: 8.5/10

My painfully long journey to the platinum in Skullgirls was a bitter reminder that fighting games are not to be taken lightly. There are 3 major hurdles you need to overcome to earn the platinum in Skullgirls: beating Marie on 300%, beating all 26 challenges, and beating all 56 character trials. Marie is a monster and perhaps the only sensible way to defeat her is not by by actually taking away all of her health but by running down the clock after a few strong opening hits. The 26 challenges are another beast entirely, some of which will toy with your sanity and take hours to overcome (don't get me started on one particular challenge against Big Band). But Marie and all 26 challenges will do little to prepare you for the most demanding and time consuming part of earning this platinum: the character trials.

This is where you will sink or swim and I sank hard, especially at first. As a player that struggles with even the basics in most fighting games, the difficulty of the trials hit me like a truck. Each trial asks that you perform a single well-executed combo. Some of these combos are simple affairs that you'll chug through in 10 minutes while others are tournament-ready weapons of annihilation that will take hours of practice and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to perform. Seriously, Ms. Fortune, Valentine, and Parasoul will probably leave you in pieces by the time you see the light at the end of the tunnel to say little of the other 11 characters. I don't even want to think about how many hours these trials took altogether, I'm just glad I made it to the finish line and can stare at my shiny new platinum in peace.

Really impressive platinum, great work.  I've got this in my backlog myself and I've read some things before about how hard it is in particular with the combo trials.  It's a fantastic feat for you to be able to pull it off especially as you mention perhaps not being one of the stronger players with fighting games.  When I eventually try it myself there's no way I'll be able to platinum it, think I'll have to settle for about 50% at best.     

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PondNewt said:

Really impressive platinum, great work.  I've got this in my backlog myself and I've read some things before about how hard it is in particular with the combo trials.  It's a fantastic feat for you to be able to pull it off especially as you mention perhaps not being one of the stronger players with fighting games.  When I eventually try it myself there's no way I'll be able to platinum it, think I'll have to settle for about 50% at best.     

Thanks, that's really nice of you to say! I wouldn't sell yourself short though. As long as you're patient and put in the practice, you will earn the platinum as well. What helps me with difficult games is to break down any daunting challenges into manageable pieces. For example, as the trials got harder, I would set more manageable goals like focusing on 1 trial per day. Even if you feel like you are barely making any progress, the most important thing is not giving up (especially after rough days when you don't meet the expectations you set for yourself).

• Like 1