Most Recent Platinum

Muff

On 8/21/2020 at 8:38 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Plat #401 - Control

1L455da6.png

Director of the FBC

Unlock all other trophies

Hmmm. This is a game of the year candidate? Must be grading on a curve. Rather, Control is a decent 3rd person exploration game with mediocre run-and-gun combat. It has an identity crisis. I think this game went through many iterations in development.

Its open world, with hidden zones that can only be accessed with certain abilities suggest that at one point, it was meant to be a Metroid-like title. But the hidden zones are completely optional, and the rewards (outside of a single trophy) are laughably bad. Further, sometimes, entering secret zones makes no sense. For example, your character can't shoot a grenade gun through a window; they're far too strong for that. BUT, she can dash through it just fine. 

In conversation, our main character Jesse often has internal dialogue where she asks herself what her best response might be. This suggests that the game was meant to be choice-driven. However, in actuality, Jesse resolves these questions as quickly as she poses them, which means that conversations go much longer than they need to.

The overall strangeness of "The Oldest House" suggests that Control was also meant to be a more serious Men in Black, perhaps akin to Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol. However, the overarching plot betrays this as well. While our heroine certainly encounters much strangeness in her overall journey, ultimately, the game really boils down to her finding her brother, and then saving her brother, and the overall strangeness of, say, a refrigerator possessed by a giant worm, or an evil rubber ducky is just a step on the path of the much more mundane goal.

Control gives you access to many different combat powers. You can shoot multiple guns. You can launch objects at enemies. You can create shields of rubble, and project them at your foes. You can take over the minds of foes and have them fight for you. You can even levitate and hurl yourself at foes. What a shame that the powers are so unbalanced. The best power is launching. It works well for every single foe in the game. Even foes who can dodge your launch can't dodge it twice. By comparison, mind control is laughably bad. Often, your controlled foe will just sit, doing nothing. The enemies recognize this as well, and will literally ignore the controlled foe, continuing to aim their sights on you. Pointless. The shield is just as bad. Actually, it's a little worse. At least mind control takes care of a single enemy immediately. The shield often does nothing.

Control gives you the ability to mod your person, as well as 4 of your guns. You'll find hundreds of mods throughout your playthrough; they are generated at random from enemy encounters, and also appear in treasure boxes (possibly randomly as well). But you can only wear three on your person, and this is supposed to mod ALL of your skills. I had a health upgrade, a health pickup upgrade, and a launch upgrade. I missed out, therefore, on energy upgrades, shield upgrades, mind control upgrades, levitation upgrades, etc. Why bother having so many mods if you can only use three of them? Why not simply modify your skills, rather than your person. Also, I really wish people would play Cat Quest. They way they did armor and its upgrades there should be the standard in games like this.

Why does the oldest house have so many holes in the floor? And why do those holes lead into the great beyond? in Control, you die all the time. The game is easy, don't get me wrong. But you will die, and much of the time, it's hardly your fault. Enemies will spawn right next to you, and fire off rockets out of hidden launchers immediately. Some will simply suicide, exploding away your HP. My favorite were the ones that turned invisible. These bastards would follow you through multiple areas, appearing out of the blue and taking 50-75% of your HP before vanishing again. And, just in case you are prepared for this invasion, watch out for that hole in the floor! It's instant death.

Performance issues abound in the game. Don't pause it. God - it's hell on your eyes when you unpause it. A couple of times, I fell to my death in places that didn't seem to have any holes to fall through. And often, enemies which appear magically in a spawn will disappear just as magically (happily, in these cases, they die when this happens).

I don't really get some reviewer scores. I'm down on the game here, because these are real flaws, but the game itself isn't unplayable. But a masterpiece? Game of the year? Well, I do remember someone once saying on gamefaqs that Okage: Shadow King was the greatest RPG ever made. I remember Digitally Downloaded giving Dynasty Warriors 9 a perfect score of 100.

You just can't get good help these days. 

I just earned this platinum and came across this comment and have to shed light on how perfectly you have embodied how i felt about this game and how much you shouldn’t blindly trust review scores. Spot on assessment.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 11:39 AM, The_ThunderIord said:

L678198.png

:platinum:#54: Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz

1L27a56b.png

This game was very enjoyable and the platinium icon is just beautiful :wub:

I was a SMB tryharder back in the days on the Gamecube, so when I saw this game on VITA I was like "I have to do it 100%" xD

The game is pretty good, the master levels are very hard but I found that the advanced course was harder 100x because some levels were brutal by the end and you have those 50 levels to do without continue :jaymon:

The mini-games are useless and it's shit asf, but the game remains very good cause nobody cares of those mini-games.

I'm very happy with this plat, I look forward to do the HD version of Banana blitz which will be available soon :giggle: 

Personal Difficulty : 7.5/10

Fun: 09/10

Time to 100%: 3 days, 4 hours (#4 Fastest Achiever)

PSNP Rarity 

On 10/21/2019 at 11:39 AM, The_ThunderIord said:

L678198.png

:platinum:#54: Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz

1L27a56b.png

This game was very enjoyable and the platinium icon is just beautiful :wub:

I was a SMB tryharder back in the days on the Gamecube, so when I saw this game on VITA I was like "I have to do it 100%" xD

The game is pretty good, the master levels are very hard but I found that the advanced course was harder 100x because some levels were brutal by the end and you have those 50 levels to do without continue :jaymon:

The mini-games are useless and it's shit asf, but the game remains very good cause nobody cares of those mini-games.

I'm very happy with this plat, I look forward to do the HD version of Banana blitz which will be available soon :giggle: 

Personal Difficulty : 7.5/10

Fun: 09/10

Time to 100%: 3 days, 4 hours (#4 Fastest Achiever)

PSNP Rarity (Platinium): 0.76%

Nice congratulations!!!!

28 minutes ago, Negan said:

:platinum: #391 - Road Bustle

L44c6e9.png

Not a lot to say about this one. Run across roads and train tracks whilst avoiding hazards and obstacles whilst reaching 16,000 points and the platinum is done. The points tally checkpoints after every 5,000 points scored so no need to do it in one run.

Enjoyment: 5/10

Difficulty: 1/10

:platinum: #392 - Concept Destruction

Lf62e20.png

Fairly entertaining Destruction Derby homage featuring cardboard and paper cars with batteries rather than stock cars. I liked this game.

Enjoyment: 8/10

Difficulty: 1.5/10

:platinum: #393 - One Night Stand

Lf369f3.png

Enjoyable visual novel with interactive elements based around - you guessed it- waking up after a one night stand. Discovering all the endings was fun.

Enjoyment: 9/10

Difficulty: 2/10

:platinum: #394 - Bird Game +

L5a06ee.png

I wasn't a fan of this game at all. The controls are too cumbersome and frustrating to make this something I'd recommend playing.

Enjoyment: 2/10

Difficulty: 3/10

:platinum: #395 - Sagebrush

L0df173.png

This was a lot more like it. It's a first-person narrative-driven adventure game which thrusts players into the role of a truth-seeker who must investigate the tragic circumstances of the Perfect Heaven cult's mass suicide. Lo-fi graphics and distorted tape recordings add to the game's creepy atmosphere.

Enjoyment: 9/10

Difficulty: 2/10

Great job!!!!

3 hours ago, Golem25 said:

Platinum #69 (no jokes pls) - inFamous

Le9e2b9.png

:platinum: inFamous Platinum Trophy - Collect all other inFamous trophies.

859,446 Owners - 97,112 Achievers for a percentage of 11.30% (average completion; 40.28%)

1L6729ce.png

Enjoyment; 8/10

Difficulty; 5/10

Trophies; 2/10 (only four tiles for 50 Trophies, unimaginative requirements)

Frustration at impossible to find Blast Shards; 2/350

Full review in my Trophy checklist thread

What do you mean, Golem25 isn't shitting up the thread with another bile-filled rant about an Assassin's Creed game? Well, lads, I ran out off AssCreed games.

After that communal sigh of relief, let's go back to 2009; Playstation 3 covers still had the console's name running down the left-hand side of the cover rather than at the very top and Sucker Punch Productions of Sly Cooper fame had just released their first next gen title. inFamous, centered around the reluctant bike messenger Cole MacGrath who gains electric superpowers and must decide between using his newfound abilities for good or for evil in a city ravaged by a plague.

A title that was famously contrasted with Activision's Prototype which came out a month later, inFamous brought another open world to the PS3 with a first party superhero title. Cole runs, climbs jumps his way across one of the greyest cities you'll ever see in gaming as he seeks to uncover just what happened to give him his power and either save or subjugate his fellow citizens of Empire City. I revisited this game after having it sit unpolished with seven missing Trophies on my profile for over a decade, despite having really enjoyed my first two playthroughs back when it released. My reluctance to return - which turned to apathy - was fed by some rather grindy kill-related Bronzes. Special shout out to :bronze:Casey Jones , which requires you to kill 25 enemies while riding a train; the game only gives you one story mission and two side missions where you can reliably farm these, while on a regular/blind playthrough you'd be lucky to get ten. And then there are the infamous (HAH!) Blast Shards to contend with.

Blast Shards are the game's main collectible; 350 glowing fragments of an exploded macguffin that extend Cole's powers as he collects more and more of them. Instead of giving players a proper map, Sucker Punch tied the L3 button to sending out a sonar that makes the fragments show up on your minimap. All well and good, but the shards only show when you are within a certain range; on a horizontal plane, sure, but also on a vertical plane. This meant that fragments that were either way out on piers, outcroppings in the water (Cole can't swim btw), and high above the ground do not easily pop up even if you go through all of town spamming L3. I was stuck on 348 out of 350, and it took me a printed map and a pen to physically mark off every last shard as I went through the game again, picking up from where I had left off. Finally though, I managed to snag :bronze:Rockhound.

I also had to finish the game on Hard (for :gold:Hard Finish ), which didn't prove too much of a challenge after slogging through most of an Easy playthrough for :silver:Stunt Master; it surprised me just how tough Easy actually is, I expected something.... a little more lenient, but instead Cole can still get easily mowed down. The stunts are tracked just as poorly as the shards, making for not one but two pain-in-the-butt collectibles to keep track off - with the added complication that pulling off the stunts can be rather reliant on luck.

There are only four Trophy tiles - one each for Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Plat - and the Trophy requirements are all pretty bland and standard, but I still enjoyed my return to inFamous. Yes, the city is grey AF and I'd rather get molested by clowns (again) than ever collect another Blast Shard, but the gameplay works. The story is good. And the map, despite being 50,000 shades of grey, is a joy to traverse thanks to good level design and the excellent tools abilities Cole has at his disposal. For an elevent year old game, inFamous has held up damn well and I can still happily recommend it today - if you keep a guide and map at your side for the stunts and shards, you'll find this to be an enjoyable Platinum experience that will be well worth the Dollar the game should cost in any good used games store nowadays. Sucker Punch also massively improved upon the formula with inFamous 2 which outperforms its predecessor in every regard (and deftly solves the Blast Shard problem), so that's another one for your wishlist if you've never played it.

Also, Assassin's Creed still haunts my nightmares. So too do the clowns. And the Platinum tile; the Hell is up with that thing, man?

Nice platinum dude very nice I remember unlocking the platinum for that game a long time ago but great job tho.

• Like 1

#128 - Road Bustle

1Le58716.png

I saw it in the store and thought "oh, cheap Frogger clone, I'm down for that." Didn't realize until after I started that it was a trophy spam game. Point of order, the game actually becomes near impossible after about eight road crossings. So, cheap trophies, whatever. Kind of like the platinum image, though.

• Like 3