30 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

:platinum:#102- RATCHET & CLANK [PS3]

1L6f7785.png

:platinum: Gadget Master :platinum: 

Obtain all Ratchet & Clank trophies

Fun: 8/10

Difficulty: 2/10

Time: 1 Week, 3 Days, 2 hours / 25 hours

Rarity: 7.8% Very Rare (PSN) / 27.37% Uncommon (PSNProfiles)

Challenge: :gold: Drek This!- Defeat Chairman Drek

"Did he just slide down a sewer pipe?"

Following on from their hugely successful and acclaimed Spyro the Dragon series, Insomniac said farewell to the purple dragon and went in a fuzzier direction with their next big franchise. What they came up with was Ratchet & Clank, an action-platformer with a focus on guns, gadgets and a more mature sense of humour to appeal to older gamers while retaining their youthful fanbase as well. The first entry in 2002 served as an excellent blueprint for the later entries and the series is still going strong today. With the exception of two mobile titles, the series has remained exclusive to PlayStation platforms and the titular characters have served as semi-official mascots for PlayStation since their inception.

I only ever played the original trilogy and that was over a decade ago so I thought it best to reacquaint myself with them before tackling the rest of the series. This upgrade for the PS3 is pretty impressive, with the environments and character models looking clean on modern displays and running at 60fps in widescreen. However, I noticed many frame drops when the onscreen action intensified. Not a huge issue but I would have preferred the frame rate locked. Ratchet's movement feels a little stiff and the selection of guns and gadgets would be improved upon in later games. Ratchet's movement feels a bit stiff and unruly as does manual aiming, though this is offset by some generous auto aim. There are also some noticeable difficulty spikes, particularly the final boss which is far more difficult than any other encounter by a wide margin. It is also a very protracted encounter and dying at any time will send you almost right back to the start of the fight. Worst thing of all is that when you die you retain ammo and bolt counts from the point of death so you can actually run out of ammo and money in the course of the fight. It never happened to me but the possibility is there and that would frustrate me no end. The trophy for getting 1 million bolts is a pointless grind since you will never need even close to that much in the course of the game even taking into account buying every weapon, their gold variants and ammo, probably not even half. Since the postgame Challenge Mode only doubles your bolt acquisition you would normally have to play about 4 or five times through to do it legit, but I just used the Rilgar race track exploit and left my controller rubber-banded overnight.

All that said, the first game is still a great time. The characters are likeable and the humour lands very well. Neil Flynn AKA Janitor from 'Scrubs' voices a few characters here. I also thought that James "AH HAH HAH HAH HAH" Arnold Taylor had always been Ratchet but he was actually voiced by Mikey Kelley for just this game. Not sure why he was replaced, perhaps to scale back Ratchet's attitude a bit. The environments are varied and no two planets are exactly alike. You get a variety of weapons as well as gadgets to solve various traversal puzzles, though these just come down to swinging, locked doors and moving water using the hydrodisplacer. I found myself sticking to the same four or five weapons. 

Overall, the first Ratchet & Clank is a fun time and sets the series up for much better things to come. 

this trophy was wrongly integrated, it was 100,000 bolts at first as suggested in the trophy icon. factually a terrible and tawdry grind, hope ratchet 2 & 3 doesn't have a similar grind.

14L7b121f.png

My last platinum: PES 2021 - did not enjoy anything about it. Looking forward to playing Fifa 22.

Moved on to Dragon Ball Kakarot but I've had to give up on it - what a terrible game that is. Very repetitive; mindlessly bashing buttons whilst sipping infinite healing potions every battle... over, and over again. Oh and then you get the odd mission of 'gathering some random items' from the middle of the ocean, or hidden in some trees, or behind some random rocks. Can't believe it has such a high platinum percentage. I would advise only playing the game if you're a big Dragon Ball fan... even then it might be a struggle to get through.

Starting Dead or Alive 6 now, hopefully going to enjoy this one.

• Like 4

:platinum: #71 

1Lecfc4f.png

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX (PS4)

This is a remake of a Sega Master System classic and of Sega's mascot before a certain blue hedgehog came on the scene. The game is pretty much a full remake. There are some new levels and collectibles aren't the power ups, but actual things you collect. The graphics and music are well done. It's quite tough, but also fun...except when you're doing the last level without the unlimited lives activated. That's a HUGE exercise in frustration. However, you need to play through the game twice and do one run without unlimited lives to get the plat, though you do get unlimited continues. I recommend you do your collectible playthrough on normal mode and your non-shopping run with unlimited lives. You'll still probably die a lot in either case. Still, it's a nice trip down memory lane despite the flaws.

• Like 4