Most Recent Platinum

Muff

I just got my 27th Plat in GTA 5. Was one hell of a grind?

Took me 6 and a half years to plat it although i started really hunting for trophies in may 2020.

Nevertheless those 70 gold medals were a pain in the ass and omg the glitched trophies as the taxi fare trophy ?

But i gotta say, it feels good being one of the few thousand people to have this trophy in their cabinet ☺️

latest?cb=20150209112459

• Like 4

:platinum: - 478

1f4af.png - 612

L3940a2.png

Lost at Sea

Lost at Sea is ostensibly an Indie Walking-Sim, / Puzzle Game, in which a woman in her twilight years explores a metaphorical island, uncovering and delving into key moments in her history as represented by significant objects, and solving bespoke, allegorical puzzles as she sorts through and compartmentalises the memories of a life - one tinged with tragedy, primarily revolving around the death of her young son.

That summary sounds good, doesn't it? 
The game it speaks to certainly sounds like a "DrBloodmoney darling". 
It hits a lot of the big points most likely to get a thumbs up from me:
Indie game? Check.
Walking Sim? Check.
Metaphors? Check.
Tragedy? Check.
Puzzles? Check Check Check!

Certainly, the synopsis of the game was enough to get my hand into my wallet, and get the game purchased without any additional information - it was hitting all my pressure points, and I was excited to get into the game.
Unfortunately, loading up the game was pretty much where the positivity ended.

Lost at Sea, unfortunately, is simply not good. Running at around 4 hours long, the negative feelings started almost immediately, as the game opened, and I was unable to move or to figure out what I was supposed to do. 
As it turns out, this is intentional, and the game was simply taking its time to set a serene scene (something I'm not at all opposed to) however, as semi-pleasant as the oceanic scene was, it lasted an interminably long time, without any game input to let me know the hold up was deliberate. The alarm bells were already ringing in the deep background, and only got louder as the game moved me past an (actually, very nicely done) in-game title screen, and on to the island proper.

On the island, the game essentially boils down to walking to 4 distinct areas, each of which has 4 individual memories associated with it. The 4 areas are built to show different stages of life - Childhood, Youth, Adulthood and Old Age, and each memory within is associated with an object.
After finding the 4 'catalyst' items in each area, and receiving the first part of the associated memory (complete with short voice-over) the player can use their in-game 'memory compass' to navigate, and it will point them to the 'key object' associated with that memory somewhere on the island. Each of these has a short, bespoke puzzle associated with it, completion of which awards the key item, and when returned to the corresponding catalyst item, the full memory unlocks. 

Do this for all 4 items and a full section is complete, do it for all 4 sections, and the game is complete.

Now, I should note - nothing about what I just outlined is inherently bad. I actually think, as a Puzzle-Lite Walking Sim structure, it's a pretty solid one. Not particularly revelatory or exciting, but Walking Sims don't have to be. They rely more on writing, acting, tone and visuals than gimmicky gameplay elements. They are - at their core - more substance than flash.
However, unfortunately, virtually every aspect of the game that structure drives in this case, is some varying degree of middling-to-bad - and in its worst areas, they are actively souring.

Firstly, the gameplay. The game takes the absolutely baffling decision to have "negative thoughts" or "fears" personified as an amorphous, black/blue gaseous tendrils, that will - seemingly randomly - grab and knock you out when exploring the island. These tendrils can be outrun or avoided, but not consistently, and the problematic geometry of the island means the player will quite often get caught by them as they try to move. The 'punishment' for being caught is not harsh - the player simply "wakes up" back at the previous special area, and has to try the run again - but since there is no guidance but the compass, and since the "negative tendrils" are random, the net effect is that every run to an item tends to get interrupted a couple of times, seemingly randomly, requiring the same run to be tried over and over until, eventually, it works.

The bespoke puzzles are very simple, and tend to amount to working out what the rough metaphor they are going for is. In one case, the player must 'juggle' various blocks, representing aspects of life - work, a baby, family etc, however, it's very, very tenuous how the voice over of that particular memory actually relates to that struggle. 
In another, a player must walk a path, but the footfalls of an invisible companion are the ones that matter, not the players own placement - again, a roughly apt metaphor for the period of life, but not really successfully married to the specific point of narrative.
These puzzles can be interesting to solve, but since error simply 'resets' the player instantly to the start, they tend to become simple, rote trial and error - getting a little further each time until the concept clicks.

On the narrative, it is very throwaway, and never really gets into the emotions that it should. The writing is minimal, and either bizarrely on-the-nose, or even more bizarrely tangential. 
In fairness, it might work better if there wasn't also a major issue with pacing, in the sense that each area and memory within can be discovered at any time. 
As a result, there is no specific 'flow' to the narrative, as each memory is discovered in fragmented parts. 
That kind of pacing works fine for the puzzle aspect, but not the narrative Walking Sim part.
A good Walking Sim works, because the developer can control the pace at which the narrative unfolds, and so a good narrative can be enhanced by the interactive elements. 
A good puzzle game can work in any order.
However, Lost at Sea is neither. It has neither the narrative flow - or the writing - to support competing against good Walking Sims, and the puzzles are borderline insulting, and so it cannot hope to compete with even the flimsiest of Puzzle Games. 
It ends up splitting the difference, and falling into the worst traps of both genres.

The visuals are pretty flimsy. The game has some nice lighting effects, and the island can look quite beautiful at times, but that is less as a result of good art design, and more the good middle-ware used in the game. Pop-in is an issue, and because the island is not terribly well put together, navigation can be an issue, with the player getting caught on the environment, or being unable to move up an incline in one area, but able to move up a steeper one elsewhere. 
The actual metaphorical elements in the individual areas are only very loosely related to the memories themselves, and are repeated a little too often, giving the impression, (and I would say - probably correctly,) that these are standard, generic assets from a stock library that have been used in the game without much modification. The 'Youth' section, for example, is built out of generic looking School busses. That sort of makes sense in a broad sense, but none of the specific memories actually involve busses, or school. It feels like the game creator simply typed "youth" into a stock library, found the bus in the first page of results, and thought "Sure, I guess can work with that."

The actual memories, when unlocked, give a still image picture, and these are well done, but as nice as they are, they are not really interesting enough to sustain interest for the outrageous loading times each one is hiding. Seriously - this game is on the PS5. The system can render Spiderman swinging around Metropolis at 100 miles an hour without a loading pause. Why does this small island full of recycled assets take 20 seconds to back into after each memory?

On the audio, it's fairly middle of the road. There is little in the way of ambient music, though there is some light tonal stuff that works well enough.
The voice over is unremarkable - its never bad, but there isn't much to it - most memories have only a couple of lines, and there is little emotion to them - though I lay the blame for this far more on the writer than on the voice actor, who seems to be doing her level best with the material she has been given to work with.

All of the above issues, however, are compared to the aspect of the game that really, really left a sour taste in my mouth - the tone. There is just something decidedly... fake... about the whole thing. It's tough to quantify, or to pin on one aspect... but it is there all the same.

I hesitate to say this, as it is possible I am wrong, and the issues stem from elsewhere, but whether I am right or not, the fact remains, this is the impression I am left with by the game:  
I simply do not believe that the person who wrote it really understands what losing a child would feel like.

If they do, they did a very poor job of conveying it. 

I am, generally, a sucker for character connection. (I'm the guy who still cries at Life is Strange after umpteen playthroughs, got laughed at by my wife for weeping at Gone Home, and who even got welled up at Child of Light for Christ's sake!) I am an easy mark for emotional games!
With Lost at Sea, not only did I not feel like I particularly connected with the main character, I didn't feel like the creators of the game did either. 
She did not feel like a realistic depiction of a woman ruminating on a life lived, but rather, an approximation of what a woman ruminating on a life is supposed to be. 
Lost at Sea doesn't feel like an emotionally driven game, it feels like an approximation of an emotional game, by someone who did not understand women, loss, life, emotions, or games.

Lost at Sea feels like the most wretched and insipid kind of emotional exploitation - the kind not designed to sell a point of view, but simply to sell a product. It feels like a hastily thrown together game, the likes of which would usually be relegated to the "only played for trophies bargain-buffet of PSN", however, the dev - seeing players like myself as an easy mark - decided to approximate the games I like to make some easy money...
...and I fell for it.

Lost at Sea reminded me of the kid in school who has had a tragedy in their life, but then exploits it, to coast. Whenever there is any kind of graded paper where they can choose the subject, they write about that tragic event, knowing full-well that no teacher is going to give a poor grade to a story about the death of a parent, (or grandparent, or pet,) no matter how poor the quality of the actual writing. 

I would love to play a game that that first summary outlined - it sounds right up my alley!
Lost at Sea not only isn't it - it never really tried to be. It just tried to look like it.

If you take a shit in burger bun, you will get what looks like a burger. With the right marketing, you might even fool someone into buying that burger. But they sure as hell won't enjoy eating that burger.

A little harsh?...

...Sure. 
Lost at Sea isn't actually a shit-sandwich...
... but it's a hell of a long way away from being a tasty treat either.

(Review originally posted HERE)

• Like 3