Most Recent Platinum

Muff

Platinum #339

Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink (PS4)

L56df81.png

1Le737b9.png

Platinum
Unlock every Trophy.

I’ve said this before – but I’m fairly happy to say it again. Artifex Mundi games as much as I like them, and I really do. I always view them as a meal that you might really enjoy, yet could never eat on a regular basis. Or at least I couldn’t, as I’ve said before, it baffles me how people can play multiple ones of these a day, and not get a little bit jaded.

Upon firing up Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink another Hidden Object puzzle game from Artifex Mundi. I was quickly reminded why I enjoy these games. They have a simplistic charm to them that – whilst they are all fairly similar, they can be one of the most satisfying types of games to just relax and get down to some good old fashioned puzzle solving.

I definitely don’t have to really delve into the specifics of the gameplay at all – it’s all rather simple. You have a cursor, you point and you click on objects and you solve puzzles of varying levels of difficulty and outside-of-the-box thinking. You also have access to a mechanical bird that can interact with the environment, which adds another layer of variety to proceedings. Who calls a mechanical bird Matthew though? What do I know; I had a Guinea Pig that I named Bruno, so I’m not the one to ask.

I’ve actually played a fairly decent amount of Artifex Mundi titles at this point, I believe this might be the twelfth or thirteenth, and there were some puzzle types in this game that I don’t think I’d encountered in other titles, so that was a very welcome surprise.  

As you’d expect from an Artifex Mundi title, the game is visually striking. Artists interpretations of certain genres or locations are always quite interesting to see regardless of exactly how they get handled. I’ll be honest though; they could have gotten a little more creative here I feel. For a bit of context, the game takes place in a steampunkified version of what would appear to be Germany.

Now – when you see the words steampunk – that usually conjures up a pretty specific image, yes? Well, whilst Clockwork is true to that typified steampunk image – it also doesn’t really deviate from that. It is precisely what you’d expect from it, it doesn’t try to do anything particularly new or exciting with that concept.

Unlike a few Artifiex Mundi titles there seemed to be a conscious effort to actually have some form of animation involved in the characters movements. I’m not sure that it quite works, but I can appreciate the effort nonetheless.

Audio is pretty good for the most part – the ambient soundtrack is subtle and relaxing, and the more foreboding pieces denoting danger, feel appropriate too. The voice acting is also fairly good for MOST of the characters outside of a few. The two leads Evangeline Glass and Doctor Ambrose Ink are both quite good. I couldn’t help but think the actress that played Evangeline sounded like a Tesco value Keeley Hawes (insert a stores, cheap own brand product, near you,) but overall she was pretty good, as was Inks voice actor.

So I said most voice performances were good, the ones that weren’t too stellar, were the ones given to Barber and his army. The best way to describe them is probably to say that they sound like your dad doing an impression of Rammstein. Well – maybe not yours, but definitely mine. I remember sitting there thinking, I hope this isn’t too offensive to any German people.  

The road to the platinum trophy in Clockwork, is in all honesty pretty straight forward and self explanatory, you only really have to go out of your way to get collectibles, and make sure that you finish one Hidden Object puzzle without a mistake (which for some reason are called FROGS in this game,) complete the game on Extreme puzzle difficulty, without skipping a puzzle and complete the bonus chapter (which is pretty good). Short sweet and to the point.

If you want a short and fairly straightforward puzzle experience to de-stress with and have a bit of harmless fun then I’d definitely recommend it. It’s not the best one I’ve played, but it is absolutely not the worst either, I very much enjoyed the ride. Just don’t go into it with particularly high expectations. If you don’t fancy dropping any money on it, I believe it is part of the line-up on PSNow, so you could find it there amongst some other Hidden Object titles if you felt the urge.

• Like 3

Order Of Battle: World War II

La71d1c.png

:platinum:#62: Panzer General

1Lb1b5eb.png

This is the first time in my life that I have managed to be the very first player on Playstation to unlock a platinum, and it will likely be the last.

I took a bit of a risk even starting this game, as quite a few trophies had 0% achievers, basically no info available on if they are even possible to get, and the game being obscure as hell even on Steam, let alone on console with the grand total of around 20 visible players, most of which unlocked 1-3 trophies and then moved on. As a sucker for strategy games, a fan of most WW2 related games, and a big tank enthusiast (currently having a bit of a tank theme going with my games anyway) I simply could not resist trying to be the very first Panzer General, despite limited free time and an injured hand limiting the efficiency of my movements still.

So what even is this game? This game is a turn based strategy game centered around World War 2, kinda comparable to Hearts Of Iron, just far less complicated and with the main focus being on one battle at a time instead of the entire war. The game seems well thought out for the most part, in theory, every unit has a purpose, you can choose the scenarios you want to focus on (I played Germany and Japan, kicking the asses of the allied nations and russians for once instead of the other way around) and then you have primary and secondary (optional)objectives, with a few units at your disposal for every mission, and the rest of your forces being your core units that you can take over to further missions and even campaigns so they may keep their experience and stats. Each unit can move one time, having an organisation value that also works as a stamina mechanic, depleting quicker if they fight too much, advance without ever taking a break, moving through mountains, or getting constantly attacked by aircrafts. You can refill units once per turn if they have not attacked, refilling is more efficient if they have not moved, to refill them you get to use ressources that easily pile up during campaigns, basically giving you infinite reinforcements so the only problem you may face is time related. You also need to manage supply lines, at least thats what the game tells you, but honestly there is such an abundance of supplies that you never have to worry about it unless you allow the enemy to encircle you entirely, which they try but never really succeed at, they happily walk into your traps though. After each mission you get some research points that you can invest in a skill tree, though most of the abilities are kinda garbage with very little impact.

Is it a good game? Well it does have the addiction factor that is very welcome in strategy games, but sadly this is not a game I can recommend to anyone, definitely not on console due to the horrible port. Despite being fun in the early stages, the games problems become rather obvious a few hours in. Some problems are down to horrible balancing, turning certain unit types into useless crap, like artillery, anti air units, strategic bombers and worst of all, submarines which are so useless that getting one to 5 experience stars was the biggest challenge in the game for me trophy wise. Most of the stationary units are garbage because they are supposed to be defensive stationary units, in campaigns that you are the attacker in pretty much every time, but their overall damage is atrocious in any case, they tire out ridiculously fast so they do even less damage after the first two shots, they are way too expensive and super slow to move around and also very vulnerable to aircrafts (yes, even the AA unit), another infantry unit is just so much better.

Another problem is that there is no priority when it comes to which unit to reinforce, as you swim in ressources after 2-3 missions so you can just throw infantry and tanks into heavily fortified enemy positions with reckless abandon since they are refilled in one or two turns anyway, even getting to keep experience if you invest a few more ressources. The unit balancing for each unit type individually is also rather poor, with every unit type having one obvious contender for best overall unit of that type, so no reason to mix the army up a bit given that you have more than enough ressources to only field the best ones anyway. This was the most extreme with naval units, the best ones being simply superior to the others in every way, but you can just field half a dozen of the big battleships if you feel like it, no reason for a balanced fleet at all.

As I already mentioned, the biggest problem of this game is the console port being garbage though. Controls suck, feel unnatural, getting to some things is needlessly complicated, and worst by far are the loading times after you end your turn. What starts out fairly normal in the early missions turns into 15-20 minute waiting times after every single turn in the later stages, some of which can take 50 turns to win, so you technically wait far longer than you play, which means this game can only be played on the side while you do something else. This is unacceptable for a game that does not present anything approaching decent graphics or effects (not that it should focus on that, but its worth mentioning), and seems to be a common problem even on some beefy pcs. Add the games questionable price policy and decisions to hide almost all of their campaigns behind DLC paywalls that are ridiculously overpriced outside of sales and you have yourself a game that you really should not buy on console right now. Most problems regarding the performance can be patched on pc, if one of these patches ever make it to PS4 and there is a sale for the campaigns, then I can recommend the game if you don't expect a deep challenge, because as I said, most unit types pale in comparison to simple infantry and some tanks as fortress busters, aircrafts and navy are decent but nothing beats the Human Wave approach in this game sadly, and all the supporting units are outright worthless, which is a shame as it wastes a lot of the games potential.

Next on my list is continuing Shellshock, which will keep me busy for a few more months given how grindy it is and how limited my free time is at the moment, and then I will likely go for another tank game before I have that urge fully out of my system.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 4

Le84925.png

:platinum:#348: Farmer number ONE!

1Lf1fa0b.png

I got it because it was blue platinum, and like I mentioned before, I am a sucker for those big time. Shame the the rest of the trophies had to get all weird on me (gold value for trophies that are clearly colored bronze and silver? Ugh)

L8e9ed9.png

:platinum:#349: Le Platinum Trophy

1L10438f.png

Been wanting to play this one for a long time. It's cute, simple to pick up, and very very punny. Every conversation is gonna have a cat pun or two or five. But it was fun! Enough that I'm definitely gonna check out the sequel now, maybe even after I finish Sonic Colors.

• Like 4