Most Recent Platinum

Muff

1Ldc3b39.png

40-platinum.png#128 Flawless Demon (Last Rebellion)

Difficulty: Easy but has annoying bits

Time to Complete: about 12 hours

Recommended: sure it's easy and very short. A guide is recommended for the chain though.

Total score: 5/10

I bought this game in 2012 I think, according to my receipt inside, and I never played after beating the first miniboss for some reason. After replaying I kinda realized why but more to that later.

The game itself is basically a jrpg with a "body targeting" system where if you attack in a specific order you get a bonus. If you get max bonus of 999 you can pretty much overlevel instantly, which is how I won the game. Problem is that you have no idea which part is the right one and if you had to guess you could take hours, although the pairs are always together so stuff like "left and right hand" will always be together, and always start with left. There were some exception but with a guide it cut the learning time in half.

Secondly, the sealing: you know how in jrpgs once you kill an enemy they magically disappear? Not in this game: every time you kill enemies you must seal them. EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. It's like in FFX, where you understand that each time a fiend is killed a summoner must do the passing thing where they can send their souls to the other side...but you don't actually do it after every fight! In here you do this after every fight and if you don't they come back to life and stronger than ever. So not only you need to guess the right combo for more exp points, but also seal enemies at the end of the battle to actually end the battle...yeah it was annoying by the 10 minute mark, which is when I quit.

And lastly, the combat is interesting I admit, having 2 characters sharing one hp and mp bar, and having their skills to be used, it's definitely original. The problem begins when you're forced to use Chain Points to do normal attacks, which is also shared, but that's your only way to do normal attacks. They do not recharge like other meters and at the start you're gonna starve for chain points because that's your only way to do damage, and use magic. Yeah, magic requires attacking, with stamps on enemies that allow you to use magic. But they don't recharge your points either..."sigh" at least later on you get to learn a spell that recovers your points, and since mp is easy to restore (you passively regen out of battle if you're Nine, or by absorbing enemies) it becomes a non issue later on. Oh and good luck if enemies spot you: they will NEVER let you go, ever, and until you learn the run magic you'll most likely get caught after running in the middle of enemies trying to escape. Only to have all of them attacking you one by one. There were 2 times where they stopped but other than that, enemies will never give up on you. And escaping is almost impossible too so it's easier to beat them instead.

And that's pretty much what's wrong honestly: the story is kinda meh but not bad, it's just the characters that are very uninteresting and don't really mesh well. The artstyle is actually very nice and it was nice to see adult characters for once in a genere usually dominated by annoying teens (really love the style used and I definitely enjoyed seeing the various guest artists, definitely a nice treat). Well to be fair Nine is an annoying adult so he checks out, but I definitely love the design of Aisha. The dubbing is unfortunately english only (at the time it was the norm) and it has some very ups and downs despite some names behind (Wendee Lee, Laura Bailey, Sam Riegel, Richard Epcar to name...probably all of them? I think I missed one?). Honestly I blame the direction and story as they're just uninteresting and kind of complicated to follow and the characters are simply not interesting at all: we're supposed to empathize with the main protagonists but Nine comes out as a brat and Aisha comes out as apathic and too serious. A shame really.

And of course the game is short: I'm usually picky when it comes to times in jrpg but, if the game is done well, 20 hours should be at the very least the minimum (South Park stick of truth was short but it had a lot of replayability). This game is barely 10 hours long, has ONE extra content in the name of 8 extra bosses (which are the same and required for the platinum) and that's about it. It's super linear and despite the large areas you get to explore, there isn't much to do. I know that around the ps3 era they ditched the open world maps from the ps1 and 2 for super linear gaming and hub world, but they could've at least given us a shop? Or even money? Or npcs to interact other than somethings called Kekins. Urgh!

Bottom Line, I actually don't hate this game and I had a good time when it didn't annoy me. I wished it had more stuff to do and maybe didn't force you to fight every enemy and seal them at the end. With some more care it would've been a little gem. As it is, it's just a pebble hidden among the others...maybe it's a little brighter and kind of cute, but uninteresting otherwise. If you're looking for an easy platinum, this game is a good one for that but otherwise you're not losing much.

Edited by Darghel
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Cmndr_Yoshi said:

Trophy Difficulty: 7/10 - the Veteran run will either make or break the Plat for people)

The make or break for the platinum for most people is the Architect on Veteran difficulty. 

You have to destroy the two guns that are positioned left and right of the Architect and slowly dwindle its health down. There are three phases, with the second being the hardest in my opinion. 

Lots of dodging and dashing here, so beating this boss takes a lot of practice. But those who beat the Architect on Veteran are more than capable of earning the platinum. Supreme AI isn’t nearly as bad, though the hardest boss is actually Nex Machina, thankfully it is completely optional.

• Like 2