Most Recent Platinum

Muff

Platinum #35

G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout

L997550.png

A surprisingly decent throwback third-person shooter with some fun & fairly challenging moments. Thank goodness for it's trophies,

as they add some much-needed complexity and a lot of replayability. Very cheesy/lame story, characters, and dialogue, but it's
G.I. JOE so that's to be expected. I'm assuming that the toys, comics, and cartoon weren't very popular outside of North America, and

I know that the properties heyday has been over for decades now, but I was still surprised to see that this game has under a thousand

owners on PSNP, even with it's poor-to-middling reviews. Really shows just how important both marketing and review scores can be.

GI_JOE_NinjaBattle.gif?fit=600,338&ssl=1

• Like 2

Platinum 107 & 108: Cat Quest 1 & 2

1L10438f.png & 1L39b52e.png

Two prrfect little rpg adventures that are very good in condensing a large genre in two bite sized games. I have Dragon Quest 11s and Ni No Kuni on my list and I really enjoy them in theory but at the moment they are to slow in progression to really enjoy. Putting two hours in will not get you very far in those games and sometimes you want the feel of progression without a lot of your time wasted.

That is where Cat Quest really excels in. They are essentially two games you go in rapid succession through main quests, side quests and dungeons all with a great charm to boot. The gameplay itself is real time instead of turn based and made me think more of a game like Bastion than other rpgs, which was unexpected but great. 

Honestly I know want more of these type of bite sized games. Short but still giving you the feeling that all the elements of a particle genre are still there. What I expected was two games with dumb silly cat puns and what I got was that and so much more.

• Like 4

1L988fca.png

40-platinum.png#131 Our Job's Done (Bug Fables)

Difficulty: A bit difficult at the start, but gets easier later

Time to Complete: 51 hours

Recommended: Yes!

Total score: 8/10

Was wondering about this game for a while, and finally got to play it at long last after several weeks of work that kept me busy from playing most things. I will be a bit nitpicky but I want to say right away, the game is very good, there's a lot of care put into it, and it's a game that I can easily recommend to anyone.

Anyway, first things first, the feeling it gives is amazing: it really feels to be playing Paper Mario (pre Sticker Star that is) and it's a joy to the eye: the effects look just like paper and the graphics are simple, but very effective. The characters are also surprisingly well done even if very simple in both animations and details, but when it wants to show more animation it doesn't shy away. It knows when it needs more, and when it doesn't.

There's also a lot of content to play with: besides the obvious ones like arena and such, you also get minigames, a lot of cooking recipes to do, card games, quests (a lot of them) and enough to keep you busy for many hours, and since there are no missables I was even more inclined to take my time instead of be careful on what i could be missing.

So yeah a lot of stuff is good, but I can't stop thinking of my biggest issue with it: the start.

At the start, the game is super slow, and I mean it: since it's taking from Paper Mario (like TTYD) you don't get more defense or damage from level ups, only hp, tp and mp. As you might have guessed medals is where its at, and where you get additional hp and abilities for each characters...the problem with this is that it takes FOREVER to get the useful medals that are actually fun to use, like Antlion Jaws or Hard Charge, or medals that add additional skills for your characters (which begs the question, why even make it a medal and not just...give it to them? It's not like you can give it to others). It took me nearly 20 hours (basically after chapter 3) to finally, FINALLY get medals that were worth experimenting, and that's when the game got really fun. Because finally I was doing more than 3 damage...

And another nitpick is the minigames...I'm really not a fan of them. I don't hate them but I sincerely die a little inside when these games come out with these minigames, mainly because they are either "okay" or "frustrating as heck". I'm not expecting Yakuza levels of quality but I would have enjoyed a little less frustration. The Flabby Bird minigame was okay, but the Mite Knight one was a pain to get it right, and while the Card game is okay, I simply don't like any sort of TCG in any consistency. I really don't like card games but they always put them in! Urgh, at least it was only require for like, a medal or two. 

But really I'm just nitpicking at this point: the game is great. I had a good time and I love the characters, they are really enjoyable and they can have some good touching moments too when they want. It's clearly a game made with passion and I definitely recommend it, especially because there's no missable trophies at all (You can redo boss fights later, so you can technically do hard modes on those). Definitely recommended!

• Like 2

#151 - 8-Bit Invaders (1.51%)

1L4ecbee.png

Fun little RTS game I picked up for a few bucks a few years back. It's a nostalgic strategy game depicting the battle between a Zerg-like alien faction and space marines. Fantastic music, a bit content sparse though, especially since they expect you to buy the other games to play with their factions. It has a pretty fun co-op campaign too which I enjoyed playing with my friend, although there's one particular mission in it which is absolute hell to three star, mostly because of the console port's inadequacies. Even that was kind of fun to devise strategies to conquer, though. Probably not going on any of my 'best of' lists, but it was a fun game nonetheless.

Also, the plat rarity / number lineup was completely accidental and is super cool.

• Like 3