Most Recent Platinum

Muff

10 minutes ago, Cellcrash1991 said:

Le64bcd.png

:platinum: #62: Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage!

1L3f1abf.png

Ripto's Remorse

Collect all trophies in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage

After playing Spyro 1, I immediately started Spyro 2, but I soon stopped because it would become a bit too much Spyro in a short time. Recently I started it again on my Playstation 4 and I was well over halfway when the HDD broke. I still had a warranty on the hard drive, but in the period between sending the old one and getting the new one, I accidentally bumped into a Playstation 5 and bought it.

When I downloaded my saves from the PS+ cloud I started Spyro 2 to continue playing but that save file was back at 22%. So there was a big piece I had to redo! Bummer.

There were some trophy-specific things in the game that were difficult, but I managed to get most of them done. Only to defeat Ox without getting hit me I waited for the Permanent Superflame upgrade.

One thing I hated was the control layout when flying. I have 15.28 hours of game time and still didn't get used to the inverted controls (and you cannot change them) so that was sometimes quite the challenge. 

There's no such thing as too much Spyro ?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, MilanYildirim said:

1Ld97583.png
#252. Predator : Hunting Grounds.
Now, l have no excuse to watch the movie haha

The game isn't too difficult the bots make it much easier :)

Edited by gamercris066
You only need 1 friend to farm claims

7 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

Platinum #344

MediEvil (PS4)

La126b4.png

1L17aee6.png

Savior of Gallowmere
Unlock all trophies.

It has only taken me close to twenty-four years, but I’ve finally gotten around to playing through the original Medievil, despite having quite extensively played Medievil 2 in the past.That’s right, it seems my unfortunate penchant for playing games in an erratic order has followed me around for more of my gaming life than perhaps I like to admit.

Which means – you guessed it, or didn’t – that this review has to come with another one of those big tubby context warnings that I have to slap on every now and then. Whilst I’ve seen playthroughs of the original Medievil, playing this is my only direct exposure to the game, so for the most part I won’t be comparing the two all that much.

Without further ado then – time to kick open the crypt doors and unpack Medievil’s second remake, this time for the PS4.No, you didn’t read that wrong, this was already remade for the PSP, there are two Medievil remakes; can I have a Blood Omen or a Soul Reaver remake please? At this point I’d take either.   

This is one of the few titles where you can very easily summarise its opening plot premise without having to worry about delving into spoilers. You take the role of Undead Hero (or Buffoon it might turn out) of Gallowmere, Sir Daniel Fortesque, as you hack and slash your way through the evil undead horde of disgraced evil sorcerer Zarok. There’s a little more going on than that, but I’ll leave the rest to anyone that is yet to experience the game.

Medievil – it must be said, is very much a thing of its time. This is something the remake doesn’t seek to change, and nor do I think should it have done. It absolutely feels like a game from the era it comes from, in almost every single way, plot, design, characterisation, and gameplay. From what I recall of seeing bits and pieces of the original, the remake has just made a few quality of life improvements here and there and a few slightly new additions – it’s something I really loved about this version – it is an unashamed love letter to the original.

Medievil’s plot is fairly thin on the ground, it must be said – but that’s not a bad thing, that doesn’t make the characters or the events any less important, in a way it just highlights some of the other areas where the game really shines. A game doesn’t always need a deep plot or characters if it can be engaging for you in other areas.

There’s a fairly endearing quality to Daniel Fortesque as a character, this game plays a lot of aspects deliberately for laughs (and gets them more often than not). Daniel is seen by everyone that knows the truth of how he met his fate, as a complete joke – they talk about him as if he isn’t there, and seem to think he’s a laughing stock, as he constantly replies with retorts of “I’ll show you” or “watch it you!” through his jawless grunts (In the PS1 original the actor recorded his lines with a bucket on his head apparently). That’s about all you get from him as a character, and you know what? That’s all he needs to be, you don’t hear people complaining about Crash Bandicoot being a bad character because he’s predominately silent.  

If I’m being perfectly honest, I expected to see and hear far more of Zarok than I did in this game – but I think it’s more of a case that – I wanted it, more than the game needed it. For a little context for those that aren’t aware, Zarok is played by one of my favourite actors Paul Darrow, so I always assumed he’d be in the game quite a lot. In a way he is, Zarok is presented as an ever present threat throughout the entire game, yet not really directly seen all that much until the end. That aspect does work surprisingly well though.

As this is the plot of a PS1 game that was, even its day, quite short. This element was never going to be the biggest talking point.

Even the main gameplay elements at play, hack-and-slash combat, light puzzle elements and platforming are all fairly basic. All of the frustrations that can and will present themselves in a PS1 title are present here, little to no checkpoints, cumbersome and usually imprecise platforming. In a way, I thought that made the way you start to feel increasingly more powerful as the game progresses even more satisfying though. Those things can be frustrating, sure, but it is at least faithful to what the game originally was, based off impressions that a few friends have told me, that played the original.  

There is admittedly very little depth, to the combat – it just amounts to swing your sword around wildly, like the worlds skinniest helicopter and block occasionally. There are several ranged weapons – which all basically do the same thing, but the more rudimentary gameplay elements do exactly what they need to, they keep the pace fast and frenetic. When you marry that with some of the aspects I’m about to bring up, that recipe does make for an incredibly enjoyable experience.

One of the many real standout features I’d say is the artistic design. It just works on so many levels.

Medievil looks fantastic – does it lose some of its lustre in the remake? Perhaps a little, and it’s actually an incredibly small, but possibly valid criticism. That’s only down to the specifics of the aesthetic. Medievil’s visual design reminded me stylistically of the collaborations between Tim Burton and Henry Selick, specifically The Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. The PS4 version of Medievil, very much still retains that style, I just think it’s a little over-finessed and clean-looking on the PS4 version. The more jagged edges, and pointed and abrasive unrefined look of those PS1 era graphics really enhance the specific design choices. Ultimately the overall design remains incredible, especially when it comes to the variety on show practically across the whole game.

As with a lot of video games released around the time period Medievil originally was – it contains smaller discrete levels, as opposed to what we’ve become more accustomed to lately. Yet there are also some fairly light Metroidvania elements at play here too. Some areas require items from later areas to progress, which adds another element to the game, a slight, and to me, surprising, and non linearity. After the first few levels, you’re able to pick several different routes to progress through, before having to come back to later levels with items. An aspect of this I really enjoyed was that all of these areas made logical sense from a progression standpoint, each area usually felt like the natural progression of the last.

This is – without a shadow of a doubt – one of my favourite aspects of Medievil, its unique and excellent level design. The game has over twenty unique levels, and unique just feels like the only correct word to use here. Some of these levels make incredible use of level design, and I’d love to talk about all of them, and I probably could, but I don’t want to get too self indulgent.  The Sleeping Village is one I particularly enjoyed, it’s very small, yet designed exceptionally well when attempting to gain the one hundred percent in the level. My personal favourite though? Easily, it’s The Asylum Grounds, for more than one reason, but mainly the fact that it’s a set of rather enjoyable riddles interspersed with some light combat, I thought this level in particular really showcased how well all of Medievil’s core components synergise so well with each other.

Medievil contains some staggeringly good audio, however. My comparison to collaborations from Burton and Selick also extend to Medievil’s music. If someone played me a few pieces of isolated music from this and told me Danny Elfman had composed some of it, I don’t think I’d question it. It’s never overbearing, yet it almost always seems to tonally fit whatever situation you happen to be in during the game.

Then there’s the voice acting – this game has the uncompressed audio from the original Medievil, something which makes a whole lot of difference actually as far as crisp and clear audio goes, at least it did for me.

Am I a little sour that Tom Baker has been replaced in the opening? Only now that I know it was him that did it, one more female voice in a game with so few can only be a good thing though, so ultimately the change is probably a good one.

Alright, Daniel Fortesque, has a muffled voice, end section right? WRONG!

Paul Darrow might not appear too much in the game, but what little he does, is, as I’d expect from him, marvellous. My favourite voice acting from Paul Darrow in Medievil is actually not as Zarok, but his other role as Jack of the Green – the master of riddles in The Asylum Grounds. You could tell he was having fun with that character; it’s very much in his wheelhouse. For anyone wondering, this is also fairly close to his normal speaking voice.

I can just imagine him cracking this exact crooked smile, which he’d use occasionally in Blakes 7 after delivering some of the more smug lines, that Jack of the Green dishes out.

bf7bd0e5c039291b9f8caaa016d08278--avon-tv-series.jpg

His portrayal of Jack of the Green put one of those huge Joker-esque smiles across my face, too.

What kind of time are you looking at for the platinum? I wouldn’t say more than about fifteen hours. The game asks you to pretty much do everything there is to do in the game, collect all chalices, plenty of miscellaneous trophies, some quite inventive and funny ones too – an aspect that I really liked.

A nice little bonus is that if you didn’t pursue trophies, you might never unlock one of this game’s best features. A by-product of going for one of the trophies, is that you also unlock the PS1 version of Medievil, yes, all of it! A lovely feature, meaning you can now, on replays, essentially choose which version you’d like to play. I almost wish there’d been a trophy for playing through that version too. If not that, then its own little dedicated DLC list like the original Alice got in Alice: Madness Returns.

This is an incredibly easy one to recommend – one of my friends said it best when he saw me playing it on PSN, that this is just one of those incredibly chilled out, yet enjoyable platinum’s, and he’s so right. I am proof that you can still enjoy this game, even if you’ve never played the original.

I watched a streamer play that game, Cool game I guess.

• Like 1