Most Recent Platinum

Muff

13 minutes ago, MarcusPunisher said:

40-platinum.pngPlatinum #158 - Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart40-platinum.png

L909898.png

67.77% - Common

Finally, a full blown on triple AAA title for PS5 to explore the new features, playing with no limit as Sony likes to say, the future of next gen gaming starting with this title. How was it? It was....good. 

I did like the game, especially the aspects that are implemented with the PS5 features. The new controller response just makes certain actions (platforming in this case) so much fun and I thought that was gonna be a something I turned out because of the gimmick, but it really works. It's hard to describe unless you try it yourself, but as a guy who always turns vibration off on any games, this is a great feature. This games also makes set pieces look more interesting. I love the planet where you can switch on and off the timeline that leads to different puzzle elements and that in terms creates better level design. I'm also glad that there something going on in the conversation unlike the constant shot-reverse-shot from 2016, especially with Dr. Nefarious who steals the whole show. 

That said, I have few cons. Some of them involved the rifts, that give you additional challenge rooms for cosmetic rewards, but these room never felt like they fully utilized the mechanics in Ratchet's or Rivet's gadget arsenal. It was the opposite for me from the world levels where these felt uninspired and frankly pretty easy. Then it comes to the story. It was serviceable, but with many caveats. I like Rivet, she was probably the best new addition. Ratchet somehow feels more like a blank slate than in 2016. Clank is kinda just there and his female counterpart feels more like plot device to established forced conflict that could have easily been resolved. I can also count so many contrivances with the story and that would not be including the various multiverses. I know that I shouldn't be expecting a good writing from a game made for babies, but some of it can be just off putting. When you establish that a tiny robot can transform to a destructive large Iron Giant, I will question why that same robot can't break from a cage that barely has any force field. I can probably point out more instances, but the story didn't do much for me and it's probably not the main focus for these games.

The platinum is super easy to earn without much trouble. I've seen that being criticized, but I do not mind an easy platinum for a bigger title. There are certain games where I feel the spiked challenge is appropriate even for the platinum, but some games are just made for to be more relaxing and I don't see any issue with that when it comes to easy platinum, as long as you had fun with the game. If you are seeking one for bigger titles, this is definitely a one.

In short, I had fun with the game. The platforming and different set pieces were a lot of fun. The story, the characters, and some of the additional "challenge" rooms not so much. This is a one and done deal game for me that I don't see myself revisiting like the 2016, but it was a one that I still enjoyed, more so than the 2016 and that I think is still good for a game like this. Sony send me an email that there is a certain reward for the platinum, but all I got so far was a sense of pride and accomplishment so if there was some kind of tangible reward, I didn't get it lol.

RLBmihR.jpg

Congrats ?.

• Like 1