Most Recent Platinum

Muff

:platinum: # 200 - Stranded Deep

Laa29e3.png

1L653651.png

Stay Alive

Difficulty: 6/10

Enjoyment: 9/10

I really wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did, but damn what a fun game! I played most of it online with a non-trophy hunting friend of mine, so he was occasionally getting sick of me doing unnecessary things for a couple of trophies, but overall we both had an awesome time. I was lucky enough to find an awesome island quite close to all the main objectives, so that made things less of a hassle, especially when it came to not using a compass to complete the game. I can definitely see myself continuing after the platinum and just building ridiculous things on my island. Resources can be quite scarce after awhile, especially things like sticks and clay, but thankfully you can replace islands with your own custom ones and pretty much have an infinite supply of resources for the entire game

:platinum: # 201 - Wonder Boy Returns Remix

L83bd33.png

1L6d0d9c.png

Wonder Boy

Difficulty: 4/10

Enjoyment: 8/10

Ahhh Wonder Boy. One of the first games I ever played on the Sega Master System and a big part of my childhood. I picked up this remake when it first released in 2019, but only decided to go for the platinum yesterday. Initially I was a bit worried about clearing one coin mode, but it really wasn't that bad. You start with 10 lives and there's no saving. You just have to finish in one go, but if you collect the three letters (CFK...used to be SEGA in the original) you get an extra life when revealing a 4th letter, so that was handy to keep the lives topped up.

The remake first launched in 2017, but it wasn't that great. The remix edition is a much closer direct remake of the original. While the first remake added new enemies and levels, the remix edition does a great job of keeping close to the OG version while also adding the ability to charge your tomahawk (or boomerang if playing as Tanya) which was a great way to deal with rocks and boulders.

Edited by RoastedPeanut
  • Like 3

:platinum:  532

1f4af.png 670

L6143c6.png

RiffTrax: The Game

A party game developed by Wide Right Interactive, and working as something of a loose re-skin of their previously developed What The Dub? game, this time in collaboration with the RiffTrax people (formally of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 fame,) Rifftrax: The Game is a simple concept, made easy enough to use that even non-gamers can play, and with a core design that - like the best party card-games - is endlessly repeatable, and as variable as the players' own imaginations, and senses of humour. 

Casting players in the role of the riffing joke-misters, The game presents various 5-10 second clips from a pretty sizeable bank of weird and wacky movies / TV shows / Public Service broadcast and the likes - generally featuring a few existing lines - before silencing the audio and keeping the clip running. 
The players are then tasked with filling in the blank, with as funny a clip as they can think of.
At the end of each round, the clip is replayed, with each player's riff inserted into the proceedings, and the players are given the opportunity, upon hearing all the variations, to vote on which they found most amusing, with the game keeping score.

Mechanically, the game is very simple. Astoundingly so, in fact, considering players need not even understand how to use a controller. While the Duel-shock / Duel-sense is used to start a game, once in play, the controller can be set aside, as all players control their game simply via any browser-enabled device. A phone / an iPad, a laptop - if it can go to a website, then it can be a controller, and that allows for the typing-under-pressure aspect of writing a riff in time to function.

There are two game modes contained within RiffTrax: The Game.

In one - "Pick a Riff Mode" - a small selection of pre-made riffs are given to each player - out of context - and they must chose which feels the most appropriate / funny for the random clip. 

This version feels adjacent to the popular physical party card game Cards Against Humanity, in the sense that the game comes as much from figuring out which clip seems at least tangentially related, if not outright funny for the situation. 
There is certainly ample opportunity for the player to be left with absolutely no riffs that seem in any way apropos to the clip itself, which should, by rights, seem less than ideal, however, in a party setting, and where every other player is subject to the same whims of RNG, there is actually as much opportunity for hilarity in the form of complete abstractionism as there is for on-point joke-making. 

The other mode - "Write a Riff Mode" - (by far the better of the two, in my opinion,) allows players to write their own riffs, and they are translated via a text-to-speech program in the riff playback. 
This is the real meat of the game, and the reason for the game having genuine long-lasting, repeatable gameplay. The players are free to write anything they please into the game, and there is, therefore, ample scope for variation of tone within it. A group of friends who know each-other well will be able to crack jokes within the game that would make no sense to anyone outwith their circle - and that makes it feel tailored in a way few party games can - however, in any online game, universality is king. The best way to win a game, is not just to be funny, but to be funny in all time-zones!

As said, I much prefer playing the "Write a Riff" Mode, though it does have some drawbacks in online. If playing an online game with people across the world, the game does a fine job translating actual text in its text-to-speech generator, but it is often very clear where it has correctly translated the words, but the humour has been lost. Comedy, of course, requires more than simple understanding, there is nuance and cadence involved, and so language issues can still rear their head. 

In some instances, in fact, even games where all players speak the same language can have some issues, as the text-to-speech synthesised voice is always read in a flat, dull cadence. Sometimes this is funnier, sometimes it isn't... though players who know each-other do tend to hear cadence anyway, as they add it in their own minds!

The game does offer some additional punctuation too, in the form of a library of sound-effects that can be added to riffs, (the Wilhelm Scream, or Mortal Kombat "Game Over" are personal favourites!), as well as offering players who are truly stumped the opportunity to have the game "Riff for Them", with one of the pre-made riffs substituting. (Though, I have found that, because these pre-made riffs are in different voices, they are instantly recognisable as such, and rarely get any votes. Players tend to appreciate effort, even if it's not successful, more than falling back on the safety net!) 

"Chose a Riff" mode does have some distinct advantages - because all the pre-made riffs are by the 3 RiffTrax guys, there is a certain tone and cadence to the humour (familiar, of course, to any MST-3000 or RiffTrax fans) and because they do, there is a cross-language barrier aspect to them. It makes for a somewhat more level playing field, in the sense that everyone is choosing from the same scrabble-bag of pre-made jokes, and simply seeing who makes best use of the hand they are dealt... but there is limited longevity to the mode. Eventually, all pre-made riffs will be heard, and the cycle becomes less funny, and more mechanical in nature... 
...and to be perfectly honest, the levelling of the play-field is not really important here. If anyone is playing RiffTrax: The Gamejust to win... they are kind of missing the point. The point, is to laugh... and not to care who wins! 

There's little to really say about the usual technical aspects with Rifftrax: The Game - visually... well... it's clips of terrible movies. So it looks... terrible?
No, but really, what visual aspects the game needs are all there - the UI is a fun little riff on old VHS, and the pizza-box game-joining screen, where each player filling a room takes a slice is fun, clean and simple. The whole game is clearly designed to be as clean and simple as possible, allowing a whole room of non-gamers to easily understand the proceedings, and as long as a single person is present, who understands to basics of the PS4 / PS5 UI, they will not have any trouble explaining the concept to the others.

Audio discussion is similarly moot here - the clips sound like the clips (so often awful!) but the background music in menus etc is fine, and tone appropriate. The vocals are good, and the text-to-speech works as intended.

The game takes clear note of streaming / party atmosphere - if playing online, games can be dropped in and out of very easily... though there is a slight hindrance, in that if a player drops out, their avatar remains, taking up a slot, until the host actively "kicks" them. This does add a slight annoyance to the proceedings if playing long sessions (and can cause an issue, as any player "kicked" cannot rejoin,) however, it is manageable. 

The game also allows for more players to join than can actively riff - the maximum number of players in any game is 6, however, anyone who joins beyond that number will be able to see the riffs of those 6 players, and vote as an "audience member". 

There is also some head-nod to making games easier to start, in that a game with only 2 players (wherein voting would be moot,) is given an additional "AI" player, who's riffs are selected from the bank of pre-made ones, giving the game some variety to the voting, before any additional players join.

Really, there isn't too much to say about Rifftrax: The Game other than this: It is simply good fun. 

If you like MST-3000 / RiffTrax - or, indeed, any of the litany of Bad Movie Podcasts out there (My personal favourite is How Did This Get Made?,) - or if you simply have a love for dumb comedy, silly movies, and want to have a fun time with friends (or online randoms) RiffTrax: The Game works well.
It has more than enough fodder (with more being added in free updates,) and has plenty of opportunity for laughs.

This is a game that won't be leaving my console, even after getting the platinum, and I can see it being cracked out whenever there are like-minded folks around!

(For original review and Scientific 1f609.png Ranking see HERE)

• Like 4