Most Recent Platinum

Muff

#665 - Super Daryl Deluxe

Ld27bdf.png

Current platinum rarity: 23.39%

A hidden gem with <500 owners here on PSNP. Currently on sale at 75% off until 22nd September.

This is a hard one to describe. I'd recommend to go watch the trailer with the killer theme tune. Let's just start with that in general: The music in this game is an absolute highlight. It is at times rocking and at times funny. They have this habit of putting 'Daryl' in as the lyrics to the songs, which when it's trying to play a creepy song and whispering Daryl to you is so weird and hilarious. Other times you'll be pummelling bosses while trying not to sing along.

The gameplay is best described as Guacamelee in school. The map is right out of a metroidvania, though more restrictive. Story progression tends to be the reason areas are blocked off, rather than attaining new skills. Combat is hack and slash with skills, a lot of which aren't too useful, though it does allow for a lot of variety in how you set yourself up in battle. What's cool is you can upgrade each skill and when you do they change in appearance. For example, late-game you get a spell to call a lightning storm. At first it's just a paltry one, but by the time you max it out you're momentarily turning into Thor as you call down a magnificent raging storm.

Visuals could be pulled from Monty Python. I adored the absurdity. Although it's set in school, each classroom is actually something like an alternate reality. One minute you're helping Napoleon unite with Julius Caesar to wage a war in history, the next you're in literature in the shire talking to a disgruntled hobbit before going to a haunted house to help Scrooge with some angry ghosts, before stopping off in science class to help a robotic Einstein go around the world on holiday. That's only a snippet of the madness in this game, which took me 23 hours to platinum.

The side-quests could be more varied, the amount of backtracking is horrendous at times, and the main quest itself can sometimes be confusing, with it being difficult to recall exactly where to go or what the game wants you to do, but overall I would highly recommend this game to some people. It really isn't for everyone, it's a niche game for sure, but I think to certain people it would be an amazing experience.

• Like 3