Most Recent Platinum

Muff

55 minutes ago, PotrikBerger said:

Dark Souls: Remastered (PS4)

Anticipation - 3/5

A strange mix. Started my From Software experience 2 or 3 years ago now with Bloodborne. Loved it. Still think it’s one of the best games I’ll ever play. From there, I’ve kind of jumped around a bit with the other Soulsborne games. Initially I had dismissed out of hand even trying dark souls purely because of its age. Just assumed ( wrongly it turns out) it would be clunky, bad looking etc etc. Over time, and having played through other From Soft games that feeling softened. And since I played Dark Souls 3 a few months ago I’ve been super eager to play the original.

Enjoyment - 5/5

Was engrossed in it immediately. Every part of the gameplay felt satisfying. Familiarity with the systems and game mechanics from other From Soft titles had me feeling right at home, sitting in my favourite chair, feet up and a cigar on. Truly suprised by just how varied the aesthetics were of the many different locations, and was looking forward to seeing how locations I had visited previously in Dark Souls 3 were going to look in the original game. Had everything I was wanting and more - the quirky npc’s, not knowing half the time whether I was the bad guy or actually slaughtering in the name of good and of course the obglitary one area of the game I truly hated playing in (tomb of the giants) among the many other staples I’ve come to enjoy so much. Brilliant game. Hard to believe I waited so long to play it.

Retrospect - 3/5

The dopamine of playing through another From Soft Soulsborne game wore off pretty sharpish as I closed in on the end game. My bias for this world and the general soulsborne gamecraft had somehow managed to make me forget about the ng+ trophy requirements. The one staple of these games that I dislike. I know it’s a beloved feature for many, so this won’t be a big moan, but for me it’s so tiresome to go through a game I’ve already played (I know some will counter with not to replay it immediately, but for me personally, it makes no difference if I wait 6 months or not, I can’t hide from the fact that I’ve already done everything I’m now doing, I know all the story, I know all the enemies....what can I say, I find it a tad boring.) no matter how much I enjoyed it the first time around. Still, a big shout out to @Creasy007 who helped me out massively with weapon drops, and saved me a shed load of time. Going through a second time to get another white slab, wasn’t the time sink I had feared, so overall my afterthoughts won’t be forever scarred by ng+ like there were with DS3. Ultimately I’d find it very hard not to recommend this game.

Hell yeah, I'm so glad I was able to help you on your journey! I've been checking out your page since I did to see how far along you were coming, happy to see you got it out of the way. 

How would you say 'Dark Souls 3' compared to this one in terms of difficulty? The only ones I've yet to play and Platinum are 2, 3, and Sekiro. I'm thinking about trying 3 next, as I've heard some middling things about 2. I'm horrible at parrying so I don't think I'll ever be able to get into 'Sekiro,' as enticing as it looks.

23 minutes ago, Creasy007 said:

Hell yeah, I'm so glad I was able to help you on your journey! I've been checking out your page since I did to see how far along you were coming, happy to see you got it out of the way. 

How would you say 'Dark Souls 3' compared to this one in terms of difficulty? The only ones I've yet to play and Platinum are 2, 3, and Sekiro. I'm thinking about trying 3 next, as I've heard some middling things about 2. I'm horrible at parrying so I don't think I'll ever be able to get into 'Sekiro,' as enticing as it looks.

Cool beans guy, your help was invaluable!

i think difficulty of these games is a bit subjective....I think I mean that the more you play them, the less difficult they seem. I can’t really say there is too much difference in the difficulty level, maybe dark souls 3 has the harder boss, just...maybe one of them I seem to remember I had to retry a few times, but in either game I can’t think of being stuck on one boss in the way I was with bloodborne. If you found this one ok, I can’t see you having any trouble with DS3 though. The grind is far far worse though. Far worse.

Sekiro is a bit different. I’ve tried more than once to play and get into that game, but I just can’t. And it’s nothing to do with the parrying etc, which, with a bit of practice does start to feel flowing. It’s not the same system as the From Soft games in terms of how you parry in those. I really can’t put my finger on what it is, but for me it has none of the magic and mystery of the other From Soft games I’ve played. It never pulls me in, the enemies all look pretty much the same, nowhere near as much choice with weapons and how to attack, its rather stealthy, maybe that’s something that sets it apart...I don’t know.....as unpopular an opinion as this may be, for whatever reason I find this game boring to play. Something stops me from engaging with it. I really can’t put my finger on exactly what it is. I’ve never managed to play it more than an hour or so at a time and ultimately I end up in something else. I’m defintely, definitely in the minority though, so would still urge you to check it out.

Edited by PotrikBerger
Making it make sense

11 minutes ago, PotrikBerger said:

Cool beans guy, your help was invaluable!

i think difficulty of these games is a bit subjective....I think I mean that the more you play them, the less difficult they seem. I can’t really say there is too much difference in the difficulty level, maybe dark souls 3 has the harder boss, just...maybe one of them I seem to remember I had to retry a few times, but in either game I can’t think of being stuck on one boss in the way I was with bloodborne. If you found this one ok, I can’t see you having any trouble with DS3 though. The grind is far far worse though. Far worse.

Sekiro is a bit different. I’ve tried more than once to play and get into that game, but I just can’t. And it’s nothing to do with the parrying etc, which, with a bit of practice does start to feel flowing. It’s not the same system as the From Soft games in terms of how you parry in those. I really can’t put my finger on what it is, but for me it has none of the magic and mystery of the other From Soft games I’ve played. It never pulls me in, the enemies all look pretty much the same, nowhere near as much choice with weapons and how to attack, its rather stealthy, maybe that’s something that sets it apart...I don’t know.....as unpopular an opinion as this may be, for whatever reason I find this game boring to play. Something stops me from engaging with it. I really can’t put my finger on exactly what it is. I’ve never managed to play it more than an hour or so at a time and ultimately I end up in something else. I’m defintely, definitely in the minority though, so would still urge you to check it out.

Yeah I've felt the same way the more I've gone through and played these titles in full. I don't mind grinding so much as getting stuck on bosses forever that are seemingly impossible to me. I only ever had that problem with 'Bloodborne' so might jump to DS3 sooner rather than later. Thanks for that response!

• Like 1