Most Recent Platinum

Muff

1Lcff3f8.png

Platinum #37

XCOM Enemy Within

9.62% Very Rare

One of the few strategy games we've gotten on console and it works just as well here as it does on PC. Enemy Within is a great stand alone expansion to Enemy Unknown that adds in new missions, maps, enemies, customization options, and tactical options in the form of gene modifications and cybernetic mech suits and new limited use items.

These new additions go along way towards alleviating my main issue with the already excellent Enemy Unknown which was a frustration with the too often repeated environments and not enough variation in the gameplay.

The gameplay itself for those unfamiliar is a turn based, squad based strategy game. You build your squad of up to 6 soldiers (assault, support, heavy or sniper) from a pool of recruits and equip them with weapons, armour and consumables and take them on missions opposing the alien invaders. Getting kills and completing missions allows you to level up individual soldiers giving them access to class specific and varied skills that introduce an extra layer of strategy to the combat. Research and engineering trees progressively unlock weapons, equipment and consumable options.

The turn based combat is defined by chance to hit which is determined by your soldiers stats and skills, proximity, cover and the enemies defenses. The damage you do should you hit is determined by the weapon used, critical hits and some of the skills.

The game is fairly challenging, it's entirely possible to play for hours and find yourself in a virtually unwinnable situation or lose an entire squad on a disastrous mission. But it's extremely satisfying when you get it right.

From a trophy perspective the toughest trophy is 'An Army of Four' for which you'll need to beat the game on classic difficulty without ever upgrading your squad size from the starting 4 man team. It's much easier than in Enemy Unknown however as there's no need to use the Ironman option which after every turn committing you permanently to your mistakes. Although I do think this is the most fun way to play. Most of the other trophies are fairly straightforward, mostly tasking you with using the new content and beating the new missions.

Finding a really good strategy game that works perfectly on console is a rare thing. I had a lot of fun with it and I think it's a *crying shame that XCOM 2 looks like it's going to be PC only reportedly due to poor console sales.

Overall I'd give the game a 9/10 for enjoyment, a 3/10 for time needed to complete and a 6/10 for difficulty

Congrats m8, however I find it weird that you didn't mention the game braking glitches, like the base defender glitch that is an end game glitch, even more while on ironman, anyhow you must've gotten lucky, nonetheless an impressive plat!

Edited by HeartUnderBlade
  • Like 1

Congrats m8, however I find it weird that you didn't mention the game braking glitches, like the base defender glitch that is an end game glitch, even more while on ironman, anyhow you must've gotten lucky, nonetheless an impressive plat!

Truth be told I only experienced two glitches in my time with the game. The first happened when I triggered an overwatch, the shot missed me but destroyed a wall which uncovered another set of enemies before the 'bullet time' effect had ended and it never did end so I had to quit to xmb. The second caused no enemies to spawn in the final mission after I'd made a save right at the beginning but that's fixable by killing the 'Volunteer' which triggers a restart final mission option and then everything worked fine after that. 

I've done two full playthroughs so far and those are the only issues I've had. Maybe I've been lucky? I played EW for the first time less than two weeks ago. Maybe the game breaking glitches you experienced have been patched since you last played?

Edited by UK-Danny-93
  • Like 1

Truth be told I only experienced two glitches in my time with the game. The first happened when I triggered an overwatch, the shot missed me but destroyed a wall which uncovered another set of enemies before the 'bullet time' effect had ended and it never did end so I had to quit to xmb. The second caused no enemies to spawn in the final mission after I'd made a save right at the beginning but that's fixable by killing the 'Volunteer' which triggers a restart final mission option and then everything worked fine after that. 

I've done two full playthroughs so far and those are the only issues I've had. Maybe I've been lucky? I played EW for the first time less than two weeks ago. Maybe the game breaking glitches you experienced have been patched since you last played?

oh nooo, they never fixed it, I recently just played the game...

• Like 1

Dead Space

1Lac533d.png

Concodrance Officer

Collect all Trophies

Backlog status: improved.

I first started playing this years and years ago, but never got around finishing it. Maybe I was just a scared little kitten back then.

Fast forward half a decade and Dead Space came to my attention again while checking Snakebit10's trophy list for 'Pick the Plat you're jealous of'-section.

It was time to turn that jealousy into ownage, so I decided to grow a pair and snag this Plat once and for all. So thanks again, Snake  :highfive: 

As a game DS pretty much shines in all the key areas. For a title over 7-or-so years old, the graphics still hold up perfectly and the gameplay and controls are outstanding.

The soundtrack enhances greatly the already tight and closed space atmosphere. As a gamer, I got immersed as soon as the game started. Always a good sign.

Although I managed to survive the trip to Ishimura with my nerves intact, the road was still frightening as f**k. I soiled more pants than your average neighborhood hobo.

The only thing I didn't care much was the 'Shoot-the asteroids-with-a-wobbly-aim' section, and the trophy related to that part was the hardest to get for me.

I don't see how a survival horror can get any better than this, Dead Space takes the number one spot with flying colors.

Wait, there's a Dead Space 2? And it's even better than the first one?

stewie%20say%20what_zpshzdijg4a.jpg

Glad I could be the inspiration for you to plat this amazing game.

• Like 1

1L64dc90.png

I've finally got this platinum (not a huge Minecraft fan btw...). The 100 days one, I though my psvita would have burned to ashes cause of the high temperature.

• Like 2