Playing games solely for platinum/100%?

Kai3677

I buy games I think I'll enjoy.

If I end up hating the game, I'll still play through it (and the DLCs) until I get every trophy, so that my overall completion % isn't too harshly affected. However, if I get a free game with easy trophies (PS+...) why wouldn't I play it? ;)

I see nothing wrong with solely playing for trophies. As long as they aren't hackers and they aren't corrupting the leaderboard, why should I care?

• Like 3

I buy games I think I'll enjoy. If I like them a lot or the platinum is easy, I go for it. Even if it's rough at times, I'll get the platinum for my favorite games (BioShock Infinite is a perfect example)

If I don't like a game, I'll beat it and never play it again. With that being said, I will also refuse to earn trophies that are too annoying, grindy, or challenging.

I call myself a trophy hunter but not a trophy whore by any means.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Well, if it's a free "game" or something of the sort and doesn't take too long, then I have no issue playing it just for the 100% or platinum.

I think the only "games" that fall under this category for me are Welcome Park and Paint Park. 

In terms of actually having to go out and buy a game, I would never let the trophy list or trophies stop me from enjoying a good game. I do like to preview the list prior to buying games, though. For me, my enjoyment comes from playing the game. However, I'd totally be fine if people got their enjoyment from just trophies.

“No two persons ever read the same book.” 
― Edmund Wilson

Well considering I was asking about the concept of people doing it as opposed to "do you or don't you", I felt it was appropriate. But hey, that's just me. Not to mention the fact that people such as yourself detest the idea of an old thread being revived.

I've never said I detest the idea of old threads being revived. It works for me. Sorry for being rude.

• Like 1

After I broke my ankle last year, i jumped (well, limped) into the trophy whoring game pretty hard. I would never let an outstanding game  with difficult trophies(that i enjoy) stop me from playing a game but i have rented and played some awful ones just for their trophies. In the past I used to just play a game beat it and move onto the next one, trophies have enabled me to delve deeper into a game and force me to see all it has to offer. It sounds stupid but that's just the way it is for me.

• Like 1

Trophy hunting is a great way to challenge yourself when playing games and is insanely addictive but if you are playing games for the trophies and not enjoyment you're just wasting your time and money. Sure your profile may look more flashy but if youre not enjoying the games you play whats the point ?

Gaming is individualistic.. do whatever makes YOU happy, your opinion is irrelevant and so is mine.

What I think makes someone a gamer or what you think makes someone a gamer, is worthless, no one should care. 

If you only enjoy hunting, hunt. 

If you don't enjoy hunting, don't hunt. 

And that marks the end of the conversation. Have a nice day.

I always buy a game for the game, if I love it, i'll try and get 100% with all trophies.~

At the end of the day, trophies are completely arbitrary. You can't exchange them for anything, they don't turn into DLC or money to spend on the store. But they are a nice way to create a milestone in your gaming life. A digital scrapbook to go back and say 'hey I remember when I got a plat for Sly 2 or that pesky 5000 kills in Mass Effect 3.

If anyone goes into games just for the trophies and not the game itself, they've lost the point of gaming and need to take a break.

I couldn't agree with you more. One of my friends (who is most likely reading this right now) hates Minecraft. He bought it just so he could get an easy plat... Stupid if you ask me. I just don't get the point. 

If I where to buy a game just for the trophies I would consider myself somewhat of a failure in the gaming community. What are you really gaining when you buy a game just for the trophies. All you are doing is giving money to some company and getting nothing that is actually valuable in return. 

The point is don't buy games just to get the trophies, buy it because you want to play it.

Trophy whoring (is a crime) is just plain stupid.