Playing games solely for platinum/100%?

Kai3677

So I got into a debate with a guy on Injustice the other day when he kept quitting ranked matches online, after which he stated that he was only getting the online trophies out of the way, because they're all "shit", apparently. Leaving the irrelevant bickering from each of us aside, he went on to say that he could easily reach rank 100 using a turbo pad  and that he would resort to buying the "vanilla" game to bypass patches and beat Battle mode (which is indeed that broken, I must add) if he had to.

This was a man with over 80 platinums in games he heavily implied he had no real interest in. Outside of trophies, that is. Hell, he's probably on here somewhere.

Which brings me to ask, what's your opinion on trophy hunting versus trophy whoring? I have to admit to having bought one or two games for the sake of easy trophies (.detuned and Spare Parts spring to mind, not sure what I was thinking there), but personally I can't understand grinding games that don't appeal to you in the slightest on a regular basis, just for the sake of numbers.

I enjoy the vast majority of games that I trophy hunt for (100 plats in). Even the "bad games" such as Hannah Montana I've found amusing at times. While there are some games that I'm not interested in much I have not yet played or platinumed a game that I have hated. Gaming and trophy hunting should be fun, not miserable. Which is why certain games I've started I just won't play anymore nor plat as they bore me too much. 

Most games I'll play / buy never get platinum or 100%.

Main reason is that I don't like most games online, like Crysis 3.

I will have most singleplayer trophies, like supersoldier difficulty.

If I truly love a game, I'll get it platinum such as Dishonored and almost every RPG I own.

I have bought Aab Animals just for the trophies, I'll admit that shameful act.

But some games of PS+ are just so terrible in my opinion.

Imagine Proteus, that game is worthless to me.

I would never touch it, if not for trophies.

Proteus isn't even a game in my opinion, but I'll leave the Proteus bashing for another topic.

So yeah, those indie titles get often playing just for trophies, unless I really like them.

"Trophy whoring was the reason the developers created a ridiculous trophy list for games like Trine 2 or Aabs Animals.

Well, i can understand someone wants to play those games just to level up easily, but isn't Injustice a really hard platinum?"

Is it so hard to believe that some people actually liked Trine 2? I sure did, trophies were not the reason for for my purchasing that game. Actually I think it was a  ps plus offering. Same goes for Terminator, which I got for free from my ma who bought it at a yardsale knowing I liked T1 AND 2, TellTales Juassic park on the flash sale, etc. I enjoyed them. Only game I feel cheap about is MLB 13 The show or whatever it's called, four golds in 1-2 minutes for mashing the square button. However I didn't pay a cent for it, due to some PSN glitch. So.. doubly cheap. I dl'ed it in hopes of an arcade-y experience.

Seems a lot of people think trophy "hunters" are the the majority, they're not. Most don't give a shit about them, and I'm kinda leaning that way. Turned off trophy notifications as I'm sick of "ding, ding", you entered the options menu sort of crap.

While my opinions are likely frowned upon, so be it. I go for (not hunt, that has an entirely different definition in my book), as a personal challenge, sometimes. If I feel I'm getting obsessive over it, game over, literally. In short, no I've never bought a game for the sole purpose of trophies. It's ridiculous. If someone wants to, hey, if that's how you wanna spend your time and money so be it. Judge not lest etc etc.

I just got 101% on DKC 1 for SNES. How will anyone know of that without precious trophy/achievement tracking? Same goes for my 1 LC's of countless 8 and 16 bit games. It's not like I'm going to sit back in my rocker in my old age, reflecting on 'Oh let me tell ya about x plat, I'll tell ya, THAT was one of the pinnacles of my life".

Trophies scmophies. Totally intangible and I don't like how achievements and such seem to of become the measure of a gamer's skill.

Edited by Big_Blue_Tree