Yoshida Doesn’t get Why PS4 is Surpassing Expectations?

kidhero99

Dont try to understand, Shu. Just bathe in the money. Seriously tho its pretty obvious, Microsofts disaster started the trend now all the kids want the most popular console. I think Microsoft are getting back on track despite the Tomb Raider fiasco, the XB1 is quite appealing and the new boss seems to be an awesome guy.. 

I think it may have something to do with making a more powerful system at a cheaper price point, working together with devs to make it easily accessible, and not trying to give your fanbase the shaft with fucked up polices.

http://playstationfansunited.blogspot.com/2014/08/yoshida-doesnt-completely-understand.html

Yes, exactly. I thought Microsoft was absolutely retarded to release the system bundled with Kinect only and then charge 100 dollars more than the PS4. It was the dumbest thing ever. On top of that Microsoft shot themselves in the foot time and time again, and continually changed their mind on what the system could do. It was too confusing, and Sony flat out delivered on the PS4. In my mind the PS4 is the best console Sony has created yet. On top of that Sony's stable of developers and first-party exclusives leaves the Xbox wanting. It does not surprise me a bit that the PS4 is the go to system this generation. Sony has really taken over the console industry, and the signs were clear ever since they surpassed the Xbox 360 last gen. I truly believe it has alot to do with the exclusives, but I could be wrong. Microsoft has next to nothing besides Halo, and this is  clear due to Microsoft's recent desperate deal with Square Enix over Tomb Raider's timed exclusivity.  

If he doesn't know why PS4 is surpassing expectations, maybe he knows why VITA is struggling to meet expectations?

Both consoles are fantastic but undeservedly at opposite ends of the success-ogram.

It amazes me how the PSVITA has outsold the WiiU, but the WiiU is consistently getting great first-party support. It's so dumb IMO. 

Dont try to understand, Shu. Just bathe in the money. Seriously tho its pretty obvious, Microsofts disaster started the trend now all the kids want the most popular console. I think Microsoft are getting back on track despite the Tomb Raider fiasco, the XB1 is quite appealing and the new boss seems to be an awesome guy.. 

Agreed. As much as I dislike the Xbox and Microsoft (ESPECIALLY after the clusterf--k that was Windows 8), Phil Spencer seems like an awesome guy and one that I really like. The fact that he owns a PS3 and PS4 and has expressed that he wishes the Xbox had games like Uncharted on it, really impresses me. He's very honest and seems down to earth. 

well i think this article says alot about microsoft and xbox    http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/05/13/using-sonys-playbook-microsoft-will-attempt-xbox-ones-turnaround

basically xbox is finally admitting there the copycats of the gaming industry they are the oh me too! everytime sony announces something even tho xbox was never planning to do it

like the high def video player sony announces blue-ray xob says oh me too even tho when it came out it was sold seperate for almost as much as the main consol and ended up flopping hard core and the fact up till this gen xbox was still using dvd format with upscale as oppsed to sony having true hd gaming  thats just one example why xbox is falling behind they lie they cheat and they steal and when all else fails they throw lots of money at game publishers to get timed exclusives so they have a foot in the door

so yea its no big surprise some of the slower minded people are finally seeing the light maybe not the truth and converting to playstation

oh and blue-ray if im not mistaken is owned by sony and xbox one is now using blue-ray

Sony/Playstation is the future. I cant wait for Sony's and Panasonic new Archival Disc to hit next year. Disc that are 10x more storage than current Blurays!? can you imagine the type of games possible? with super high detailed textures! Xbox/microsoft will get nothing like that anytime soon. Hopefully Ps4 could manage to use these disc. The wait for Playstation 5 is too far away!

Well, 10 Million before the first year finishes is a bit unexpected. Especially on a piece of hardware that, for all the stuff it can do, lacks a number of big features that the prior generation could do. On top of that, it is still a gaming console, and there haven't been that many games to come out for this generation.

The only thing I can truly see would be the reason for the massive level of sales, is that people are buying the PS4 on a promise. The promise of Far Cry 4, of DayZ (uh, good luck there), of all this stuff coming along the way, and that's not a good reason to buy any piece of hardware. But, the PS4 is still a wonderful bit of tech

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!  :blink:  Well then you weren't the only one to be amazed. How embarrassing that is for Nintendo.

Yes siree! According to VGChartz, the Wii U has sold a total of 6.9 million consoles, and the Vita has sold 8.7. It makes no sense as to why one has sold almost two million more, not been around as long, and is not getting the first-party support it deserves. It makes NO sense. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/

Sony/Playstation is the future. I cant wait for Sony's and Panasonic new Archival Disc to hit next year. Disc that are 10x more storage than current Blurays!? can you imagine the type of games possible? with super high detailed textures! Xbox/microsoft will get nothing like that anytime soon. Hopefully Ps4 could manage to use these disc. The wait for Playstation 5 is too far away!

I wouldn't be suprised if Sony already has a plan in place. Maybe an update to the system would allow it to read it? 

Ok, let's go through your statement. You're excited about a discs that are 10x the storage capacity of a double layer blu-ray disc (50gb). So you're talking a 500GB disc at the minimum (The announcement however, said 300gb minimum. Ok, now, let's go through the pricing idea of what a 300gb blank disc would cost. Mind you, BD-Rs right now are at nearly 50 bucks for a 25 disc spindle, while DVDs are at nearly 30 dollars for 100 discs. Big difference.

So, we break that down:

50/25 = 2 Dollars

30/100 = .30 cents

2 dollars a disc, at CURRENT prices, and you're excited over a disc that's going to hold 10x and more information? When right now you can purchase hard drives that are portable and hold multiple terabytes of information with the same level of ease for a little over 150 to 200 dollars (And mind you, last longer).

On top of THAT, now let's look at speed. Why do you think that the PS4, X-Box One, and PS3 all have mandatory game installs? Because the drives do not have a speed capable of being able to read the disc fast enough to make loading times bearable. Why? Here is the answer:

The PS3 contained a 2X speed Blu-Ray drive. The 2X speed drive can only handle a data rate of 9MBs per second. The PS4 has a 6X speed drive, which can handle 27MBs per second. This means that, in complex games, where everything is handled on the disc, every module, from physics to gameplay to graphics has to be loaded, and if you don't do installs, everything has to be loaded from the disc, and slows things down immensely. And now you want to put games onto a 300+ gb disc without any idea the speed of the drives. That is INSANE.
  • Like 2

Archival disc is made by Sony and Panasonic so I doubt half of the collective going to restrict it to one console. Many things will use Archival disc before PS4 or X1. 

Ok, let's go through your statement. You're excited about a discs that are 10x the storage capacity of a double layer blu-ray disc (50gb). So you're talking a 500GB disc at the minimum (The announcement however, said 300gb minimum. Ok, now, let's go through the pricing idea of what a 300gb blank disc would cost. Mind you, BD-Rs right now are at nearly 50 bucks for a 25 disc spindle, while DVDs are at nearly 30 dollars for 100 discs. Big difference.

So, we break that down:
50/25 = 2 Dollars
30/100 = .30 cents

2 dollars a disc, at CURRENT prices, and you're excited over a disc that's going to hold 10x and more information? When right now you can purchase hard drives that are portable and hold multiple terabytes of information with the same level of ease for a little over 150 to 200 dollars (And mind you, last longer).

On top of THAT, now let's look at speed. Why do you think that the PS4, X-Box One, and PS3 all have mandatory game installs? Because the drives do not have a speed capable of being able to read the disc fast enough to make loading times bearable. Why? Here is the answer:

The PS3 contained a 2X speed Blu-Ray drive. The 2X speed drive can only handle a data rate of 9MBs per second. The PS4 has a 6X speed drive, which can handle 27MBs per second. This means that, in complex games, where everything is handled on the disc, every module, from physics to gameplay to graphics has to be loaded, and if you don't do installs, everything has to be loaded from the disc, and slows things down immensely. And now you want to put games onto a 300+ gb disc without any idea the speed of the drives. That is INSANE.

I know right, truelly INSANE. Game worlds could be huge! of course PS4 would probably exploded if it tried loading up all 300+gb. But what game loads the whole disc to play? yes if they stored higher textures those would all have to loaded, but im also thinking/talking about how much longer a game could be. Not sure if any game at the moment is reaching the limit with current Blurays. But with future discs it could store more. 

Yes siree! According to VGChartz, the Wii U has sold a total of 6.9 million consoles, and the Vita has sold 8.7. It makes no sense as to why one has sold almost two million more, not been around as long, and is not getting the first-party support it deserves. It makes NO sense. 

Because Japan loves Vita.

Edited by SatoshiOokami

Now, if the PS4, like the PS3, can still only read a double-layer blu-ray disc, the maximum each disc could hold is 50gb. Which means that, yes, some games are hitting that max level of data. Also, on top of this, there was a rumor (I can't honestly find it, and i have tried), where games were loaded onto PS3 discs multiple times in order to give the hardware multiple points to find the same file (Logically, I can see this both working and not working, Leeor, comments?)

But you ask, what game loads the whole disc to play? None load the entire thing. BUT, the biggest parts are thrown onto the hard drive in order to take down loading times. If we then have to take them off the drive, then we are at the mercy of the drive speed. Imagine Watch_Dogs, which already has one incredibly long first load time, booted off the disc. Or Red Dead Redemption, or Infamous: Second Son, loaded off a disc. The only thing in Infamous that isn't honestly loaded at one time with the rest of the game is that opening/closing area. The only thing not loaded at one time in Watch_Dogs is cutscenes and specific mission programming (convoy paths, enemies and their placements.) And getting that done is just loading the small bits. Loading things such as generic models holding weapons, enemy AI, things like that.

MLB 14, however, that's where you see the difference. Not all of the game is actually loaded at one time. Not until you need it. Brewer's Stadium isn't loaded at the start, except for the one picture you need when you look at the menu. That's why each game takes a little to load. Sports games do not, Hence, why you get this with Madden 25:

16 MB minimum.

Oh, and when mentioning game length, Take a look at the comparisons of games when going up in generations. The average length of games have gotten shorter.