Layoffs at SuckerPunch

kidhero99

http://playstationfansunited.blogspot.com/2014/08/infamous-dev-sucker-punch-suffers.html

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! I thought Second son sold well. Damn that sucks.

What the heck?! Second Son was the best selling Infamous game yet I believe! This doesn't make sense! 

Edit: It was the fastest to reach 1 million copies sold. With that said, its sales are just about on par with Infamous 2's already. 

Edited by DanielVT

It is like any other business. Right now it is our busy season at work so we hired another 20 people. Their jobs disappear once the work is done but will be brought back once the busy season starts again.

Game company don't need all the staff at all times so once Second Son and First Light are done they scale back their crew.

• Like 1

What the heck?! Second Son was the best selling Infamous game yet I believe! This doesn't make sense! 

Some game studios find out that they have to many people for the jobs they need. Also I think it's due to maybe someone taking over and doing a structure change, it can be for the good but let's hope the lay offs find new jobs. 

Edited by GalaxyPaladin

Some game studios find out that they have to many people for the jobs they need. Also I think it's due to maybe someone taking over and doing a structure change, it can be for the good but let's hope the lay offs find new jobs. 

Agreed, I hope as Dr. Mayus said they will be re-hired for the next infamous game. It really is a sucky practice in the industry.

Agreed, I hope as Dr. Mayus said they will be re-hired for the next infamous game. It really is a sucky practice in the industry.

It's a cycle, they'll be picked up by other devs looking to expand their teams for projects then when they end they move on, then the likes of Sucker Punch will be hiring again for their next projects.

Doesn't these lay-offs happen all the time once a game/projects finishes. Companies cant keep everybody, some just aren't qualified for the next project. Hopefully these layoffs will find new jobs for next big game.

It's a cycle, they'll be picked up by other devs looking to expand their teams for projects then when they end they move on, then the likes of Sucker Punch will be hiring again for their next projects.

Well, that makes sense, but I certainly wouldn't want the uncertainty if it was my job. I'd much rather get a permanent position. Still I'm sure it's nice to have a hand in so many different games and studios. Makes for a cool resume I'd imagine. 

It is collectively known as the 'hire and fire' method. Hire a bunch of staff for a game, fire them once the project is over. When the next project starts, hire some or all of the same people again, fire them once it is over. Rinse and repeat.

It is heavily practiced in the industry because it is cost effective, you only need to pay people for the project and no time in between. Not saying it is right, but that is how alot of companies see it.

Then you have industry key figures like Cliff Bleszinski who criticise the hire and fire method. They think along the lines of - Hire a group of people to work on a project and invest in building strong relationships. When the project is over - put the same team into another project. Works on the logic that a strong team of people who are used to working together will deliver better results the more projects they work on.