How does it compare to Dead Space 2?

Dreakon139

Outside of a little demo of Dead Space on my old PC a few years ago when it could game, I haven't really played much of this game.

I figure if I wanted to, I could get it pretty cheap these days (and if I wanted to keep my collection setup consistant, I could use another Greatest Hits game lol)... but how does it compare to the sequel? Would it be better to start with Dead Space 1 before I consider playing Dead Space 2?

Also, how difficult is the platinum for the first Dead Space?

Thanks!

The first Dead space is to this day still my favorite game. If you want to know what is going on in dead space 2 you need to have played the first. There are a few glitches that allow you to get tons of money for ammo and upgrades as early as chapter 4. And all difficulties have checkpoints unlike dead space 2. You can buy dlc guns that are more powerful but they are far from necessary. Also there is a cheat that you can pause the game and refill your o2 and stasis meter (very helpful) at any time to make it that much easier.

Short answer

Get it now you are missing out

• Like 1

yea, oscar summed it up mostly, but a few other things, and dumbed-down descriptions for it:

- easier than DS2 thanks to a lot of farming glitches and cheats that are both one-time use, and infinite use

- really, really great to play before DS2. the second game has a "so far in Dead Space..." like video, but its not the same....this game is a major part the pstchological toll it takes on Issac, and i think Dead Space 1 really helps set the stage for this in the second...definitely worth it

- compared to the second...it doesnt have the same guns (no seeker rifle, detonator, jav gun), its more confined....but, as is always the case for a first game compared to the second in the series: the first set up most of what you see in the second, the second just got to tweak and add stuff....so definitely worth it, might not be as fun to some as 2 but i liked them both.

not sure what else there is to say, hope i helped though :D

WoW! Where to start off.

Let Me say how much I envy anyone that will be playing this for the 1st time. I frigging loved this game.

A lot of pluss' were mentioned in the previous post but nothing was mentioned about how the game grabs you by the nuts from start to finish.

Your foes get progressively more deficult as you get further into the game. The narrow dark hallways of the Ishimura seems to enhance and give a new definition to the scifi horror genre.

Issac Clack to Me is the best character I have ever played as."IMO".

Everything from the story to the grafix was done @ such high quality that without notice you won't noticed how submerged into game play you will be.

The concept of dismembering your foes are ground breaking and have not enjoyed cutting down anything as I do necros in DS.

If you played DS2 prior to 1 one of the biggest differences is that in 2 Issac is more talkative. In 1 he said a whole lot of nothing. Not 1 word. And believe it or not it worked perfectly with the game.

Really, you will be too busy running and shooting. I mean even though the difficulty of DS runs no comparison to DS2, I spent @least 90% of the game with the PC @ the ready.

The scares were done exceptionally. Coupled with the irrie background noise and growns from the necros, your heart @ times will not maintain its steady beat.

Your Rig takes some getting used to, but you soon accept the fact of how perfectly it seems in with the controlls.

But yada yada yada. I could go on forever so I'm gonna sum it up by saying " it's a must play ". Not just if you got 2 but if your into epic games DS is a must get. 10/10 in My book.

• Like 1

This is a must play title. Really....it's one of my favorite series this gen. Stay in chronological order if you can. Somebody said something about the getting you up to speed vid at the beginning of DS2. It still doesn't do the first game justice. The load times can be a little long, but it is an 09 game. Still, really cheap buy in a bargain bin or ebay. Get it!

In terms of difficulty, I think DS2 was harder to plat. If you play DS straight up, it still isn't easy. There are cheats that don't affect trophies if you care to use them though. Hard to the core in 2 was just a huge struggle to keep my mistakes at a minimum imo. Nerves just come too much into play when you know three hours worth of advancement go down the tube with rash mistake.

Stay away from Ignition unless you really like puzzle games and Extraction is a rail shooter just in case you were wondering about the series as a whole. I didn't really care for Ignition, but that's my fault for impulse buying it. I haven't really started Extraction yet, so I can't give any insight on it.

Dead Space is almost as good as DS2.

-The entirety of DS takes place on the Ishimura, a space ship. DS2 has a lot more areas in it, but are the same length. A lot of the plot moments of DS will be spoiled, if you already played DS2, but it's still fun.

Yea I really liked Titan as the setting in Dead Space 2. There were some levels where you could see Saturn in it's entirety... just beautiful :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The first Dead Space is a fantastic game, and a must-play for anyone. It's not as good as DS2, but brilliant in its own right.

As far as difficulty goes, there is no question that DS2 is the bigger challenge, if only for the Hard to the Core trophy.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I love so much this series, cant wait to play then on ps4( hopefully) with audio logs coming out from the speakers of the dualshock

as far as the series go

2 is the best Imo( loved the setting) and 1 is very close, sadly 3 became lost in space, but its still good game.

as for trophies hard to the core is indeed hardcore, and makes 2 the hardest

^ ^ ^

This I completely agree with.

Dead Space 1 - A great introduction to the series and a great standalone game in its own right

Dead Space 2 - Did what a sequel should do, improved on all aspects of the original, better story and game play. Another great stand alone game as well as a continuation to the story arc.

Dead Space 3 - Had succumbed to the obvious peer pressure of other successful games of the time and betrayed the roots the series had laid before it. A good stand alone game but overall the story was lacking and not a patch on the previous two games in the series.

Hope those in charge of the next instalment (Visceral or EA?) can bring the series back on track for any future games.

• Like 1

ds is without a doubt one of the scariest games in ages if not thee scariest i've played since the original avp games/run/prey/mdk era of gamin... even though the monsters are unimaginative throughout the franchise they still manage to be fuckin scary especially when they decide to run at you in an instant, unfortunately EA have stated that ds3 was the last one and that it marked the end to what was a 256bit only franchise... i really enjoyed the ds franchise and even though i agree with EA wantin to end it for new ip's/original AAA titles i think its one of them franchises that is just too amazin to leave, especially when there is zilch survival horror games outthere that are actually frightenin... i would really like a new 512bit ds game but set in a huge space tanker again like the original game, it lost its way abit in ds2 and ds3 which would be the only real critiscm i had apart from the rubbish monsters throughout...

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

DS is great, really creepy and worth playing with lights out.  The story will really pull you in and wish you could learn more (great, because you get sequels!).  There is one weak character IMO, and I kind of despise the abrupt ending, but again, you get a sequel.  Make sure you get the "one gun" trophy on your first normal playthrough, so you can use all weapons on your hardcore.

• 9 months later...

The first game was by far the best in the series. I would rank them: Dead Space > Dead Space 2 > Dead Space 3. The Impossible difficulty setting is not that bad if you do it with the level 6 suit, but that would require you to go through it once, then again with the suit, then follow up with Impossible. The only two weapons you need on the first one is the Plasma Cutter and the Force Gun on Impossible, while on Dead Space 2 it requires a few more, but not too many.