Ad Feedback

Checked what I'm getting today and it doesn't seem much different than last week in the US at least - I've refreshed for about three or four minutes and I'm still frequently getting that Coast Guard ad with the red targets initially going everywhere on the banner, getting some Verizon wireless phone ads, lens crafters ads, American Express credit cards, Zappos Shoes, the "Get Google Chrome" ad with simple white background and blue text, etc...

I can see three gaming related ads out of all that today, Full Sail University (gaming development college), Metro Redux, and Diablo III - Didn't see anything for Destiny at the moment yet.

I understand the need to have ads on the site, but could you pls move the ad banner from above my list of games to the right side (i.e. above rare trophies or something like that). It's ugly, breaks up the vertical flow and the ads have nothing to do with gaming. Thanks

Yeah, I'm kinda with you - I'm fine with banner ads and all, but I cringe when I see that some of them are so terribly placed (in sort of an obnoxious way) in which is screws up the look of the content on the site. The ads on profiles and all game pages in particular are just really badly placed.

That's just my two cents though, I'm kinda OCD with that type of stuff and I just really love this site and don't want the bad ad placement to draw users away or anything =/

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 2

Well, first 2 days was pretty much all gaming related ads for me. Destiny, Diablo 3, Full Sail University. Since then, it's been 90% non gaming related. Everything from Google Play, shoes, cars, dating sites, travel locations, etc. The only gaming ones I see now are Destiny, and the occasional Full Sail Uni ad.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure Sly is gonna keep ads on the site, so I'd like to recommend that you should update the "go premium" text on the right side of non-premium people's profiles. It currently says:

"Premium users are automatically updated multiple times per day with higher priority over other users. You'll also be able to update the profile as often as you like."

You should probably mention that ads will get removed too if they upgrade:

"Premium users are automatically updated multiple times per day with higher priority over other users. You'll also be able to update the profile as often as you like. Additionally, all advertisements will be removed from the website." ;)

Edited by BlindMango

I've got an idea:

How about the ads say anything they want but make them 1 Nanometre by 1 Nanometer (don't know how much that is in pixels) so that nobody can see them. They are still there, but less annoying   :eyebrow: . Ads are no better than spam. I'd rather have spam in several posts than ads on my profile.

Thanks for trying to scam us out of money!

Yours,

Someone who makes their bread and butter by paying to have their ads shown online.

Just drink one or two beers less one week and you have enough money for a lifetime premium membership...

I know plenty of people who play guitar or another instrument purely for their own enjoyment, how is that any different than playing video games?

Because the ability to play an instrument is a personal quality/ skill. There is no skill in gaming. You can be proud to play an instrument and you can boast about it. If you boast about being able to play a video game then I don't understand you.

I love how at 16 years old you think you know everything.

Oh no don't worry about that. I'm perfectly aware that there are some epic minds out there that are way better than me but I'm more than certain that I will find none of them around here.

I see where this thread is going so you might as well ban me. I'm not changing my opinion and I doubt that this is going to stop anytime soon.

Edited by malox5

So I'm putting some ads on a few pages...

I'm a premium member so I can't see any of the ads, which will likely be more incentive for other users to buy a premium membership, but I think this is awesome. I'm glad the site is doing good so that you can earn revenue off ads, I'm glad it's working out for you. I also love that you are trying to implement quality control on the ads. I really hate websites that you can't even view their content because ads have completely taken over your entire page. Good luck Sly.