Is The Rise of Tomb Raider coming to PS4?

I'm a little worried by the amount of people saying this.

Yes, Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics fucked us over. Yes, I was pissed off when it was announced, and I still am. But I love Tomb Raider, and I want to show my support to the franchise, not the company. TR 2013 didn't sell well in SE's eyes, and if it continues to do 'poorly' in their view, then they may just drop the series altogether. I really, really wouldn't want that, so I'll be supporting the franchise by buying it new.

Fair enough and good for you, I just can't support third party developers releasing games and getting fans invested, to only then go a rip that game series away from half of their invested fans, it's bullshit.

We the gamers need this to flop so others in the industry know that this is a bad fucking move.  

Well, it's not like us xbox users ain't getting the same treatment with Destiny. 

No, not true at all.  Unlike the PS4 for Tomb Raider, the Xbox systems are definitely getting the game.  They're just not getting the extra content for a year (I think).  Tomb Raider sold better on the PlayStation systems.  I'm not that excited for either game anyway.  Prior to this last Tomb Raider, the franchise had been mediocre, at best, for nearly 15 years.  If the CEO wants to make the excuse for the game not "meeting its expectations," you better believe this game will fail worse.  The people will speak and the game will suffer.  Look at the Xbox 1.  There's a reason why more PS4s are sold in more countries, as well as the ratio of PS4s sold to Xbox 1s is greater than 3:1.  

Edited by grimydawg
  • Like 1

I dunno, but not getting it now if it does. Fuck you, Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix. Sellouts...

Sellouts? What do you think they are? Charities? They're out to make money and obviously MS offered them more than what they thought they would make if they didn't accept MS's offer and made it multiplat. Sure it sucks for us gamers but we're not their concern, the bottom line is and coming from their prospective I don't begrudge them, as a gamer I do but I understand why they went down that road.

Edited by NIALLERMANBUZ
  • Like 1

Destiny is different. It's a brand new IP.

Other than the very early days of TR, TR has been established as a cross-platform game that you could enjoy on whatever console (even the Wii got TR: Anniversary and the DS got Tomb Raider: Legend). Now it's suddenly exclusive. Even if it is timed, it's pretty damn shameful that they would do this to something as established as Tomb Raider.

Destiny is not different due to it being a new ip. Sony make a deal with Act so that dlc will come to xbox in about years time, why would I wanna check for that game now. 

Please do explain....am I wrong when I say you can play it on your Xbone at release date? Oh whats that? You can? Point invalidated.

You know I was talking about dlc so why post this?

No, not true at all.  Unlike, PS4, the Xbox systems are getting the game.  They're just not getting the extra content for a year (I think).  Tomb Raider sold better on the PlayStation systems.  I'm not that excited for either game anyway.  Prior to this last Tomb Raider, the franchise had been mediocre, at best, for nearly 15 years.  

That is the point tho, the dlc is for one year. The longest time dlc was held on xbox was 4-6 months for a multi platform game, while this is wrong I still think 4-6 months is better than 1 year. 

Microsoft won't keep on money hatting for much longer, what will developers/publishers do then?  Devs/pubs have been pretty lucky with MS paying for timed exclusive (Stupid, I know) but that will change and it won't hurt them much. If MS put there focus to their own studios, a lot publishers would be screwed. 

Also the new Silent Hills game if made for PS4 only, will be another example. 

That is the point tho, the dlc is for one year. The longest time dlc was held on xbox was 4-6 months for a multi platform game, while this is wrong I still think 4-6 months is better than 1 year

Microsoft won't keep on money hatting for much longer, what will developers/publishers do then?  Devs/pubs have been pretty lucky with MS paying for timed exclusive (Stupid, I know) but that will change and it won't hurt them much. If MS put there focus to their own studios, a lot publishers would be screwed. 

I do agree that exclusive content is stupid, but there is a difference between extra content and the actual game.  Xbox players will still have access to the game, on its initial release date.  The new Silent Hills game wouldn't suffer the same fate because it's made and published by Konami.  Its fan base is more pro-Sony, since it's a Japanese company naturally.

Edited by grimydawg

I do agree that exclusive content is stupid, but there is a difference between extra content and the actual game.  Xbox players will still have access to the game, on its initial release date.  The new Silent Hills game wouldn't suffer the same fate because it's made and published by Konami.  Its fan base is more pro-Sony, since it's a Japanese company naturally.

The thing is that both are known to come out on both platforms but are coming out at weird times due to shady practices. Yes, we do get to play the game to play but we know it's incomplete due to expansion dlc  is on one platform for a year. The same with playstation users for TR, you guys know it's coming out but you have wait for it. 

Well people did enjoy the Silent hill collection on xbox, so it would be just as douchey like MS with TR but this will only be exclusive while TR is timed.

The thing is that both are known to come out on both platforms but are coming out at weird times due to shady practices. Yes, we do get to play the game to play but we know it's incomplete due to expansion dlc  is on one platform for a year. The same with playstation users for TR, you guys know it's coming out but you have wait for it. 

Well people did enjoy the Silent hill collection on xbox, so it would be just as douchey like MS with TR but this will only be exclusive while TR is timed.

Timed DLC is an entirely different animal than the game itself being a timed exclusive. I doubt people would be getting very upset if Microsoft had timed DLC for Rise. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken Silent Hills is being co-developed by Sony Japan so it really isn't the same thing as Tomb Raider. 

Parker

The thing is that both are known to come out on both platforms but are coming out at weird times due to shady practices. Yes, we do get to play the game to play but we know it's incomplete due to expansion dlc  is on one platform for a year.  The same with playstation users for TR, you guys know it's coming out but you have wait for it.

No, Playstation people don't know it's coming.  I acknowledge people who only own Xbox enjoy the Silent Hill games, but the franchise itself won't suffer nearly as hard as Tomb Raider likely will, particularly when you essentially alienate (in peoples' eyes) well over 2/3 of the fan base, and the new Silent Hills game is being co-developed with Sony Japan.  Big difference.

Edited by grimydawg
  • Like 1

No, Playstation people don't know it's coming.  I acknowledge people who only own Xbox enjoy the Silent Hill games, but the franchise itself won't suffer nearly as hard as Tomb Raider likely will, particularly when you essentially alienate (in peoples' eyes) well over 2/3 of the fan base, and the new Silent Hills game is being co-developed with Sony Japan.  Big difference.

MS timed exclusivity can not dictate to a publisher what platform the game can come to after the contract ends. This means Sony will get it. Also Silent Hills will be hurt by this, having 10 million consoles don't mean that a game will make 10 million sales. The TR game is timed so that won't hurt to badly for Sony fans as they will get to play it on their console of choice. Silent Hills is not timed but exclusive but will hurt xbox only console users. 

Anyway let's not argue about this because we will keep on going around with this. 

Edited by Bear

Im expecting a no. But we will might get a what? RoTR2 soon enough for PS4 or maybe a RoTR something. who knows. things dont stay exclusive forever.

MS timed exclusivity can not dictate to a publisher what platform the game can come to after the contract ends. This means Sony will get it. Also Silent Hills will be hurt by this, having 10 million consoles don't mean that a game will make 10 million sales. The TR game is timed so that won't hurt to badly for Sony fans as they will get to play it on their console of choice. Silent Hills is not timed but exclusive but will hurt xbox only console users. 

Anyway let's not argue about this because we will keep on going around with this. 

Yes, I'm fully aware of this, and it does not mean Sony will get Tomb Raider.  It likely will (it better for their sake), but it doesn't mean it DEFINITELY will. I'm well-aware 10 million consoles won't assure 10 million sales, but when you have folks who were strictly 360 owners (about 1/4 of the people who bought only a PS4 on surveys), games will certainly have a better chance of being successful on the PS4.   Also, Silent Hills wouldn't be hurt too bad.  I've already explained why.  It will certainly help, if it sells on Xbox 1 as well, but not a lot.  As of few weeks ago, the PS4 has sold 10 million and the Xbox 1 3 million.  Assuming the rates remain constant, the PS4 will sale 15 million and the Xbox 1 4.5 million respectively within a year after their release dates.  With those same rates, the PS4 will be at 30 million and the Xbox 1 9 million late next year.  Xbox 1 is clearly trying to have its own Uncharted-like game.  There's no way it will compete with Uncharted because I can assure you Uncharted 4 will be in at least half of PS4 households.  Uncharted 4 wouldn't even have to be in 1/3 of PS4 households and it would still outsell Tomb Raider by a few million.  As I've told you before, the damage has already been done.  I'm willing to bet if Microsoft would have said that Tomb Raider would have been timed exclusive initially, there would have been damage for sure, but at least PS4 and/or PC Tomb Raider fans wouldn't have been as upset and would have definitely by their game on day one.  For the record, I own all systems, except for Xbox 1.  I do intend to get one, but I'm preparing for another mini clone of myself.  So that's on hold, for now.  So I'm not biased.

Edited by grimydawg

Destiny is not different due to it being a new ip. Sony make a deal with Act so that dlc will come to xbox in about years time, why would I wanna check for that game now. 

You know I was talking about dlc so why post this?

That is the point tho, the dlc is for one year. The longest time dlc was held on xbox was 4-6 months for a multi platform game, while this is wrong I still think 4-6 months is better than 1 year. 

I'm sorry but where was it said the Destiny content was PS exclusive for a year? I haven't seen anything about the length it's PS exclusive. 

Also as for Silent Hills, my guess is that it will come to both systems, but that the PS version will eventually sell better, as most of Konami's fan base is Sony anyway.

Co developed?

Bearing in mind that TR started off on PS I think it's very poor taste that CD and SE have opted for this timed exclusive if that's what's going on (which we still don't have a clear answer on) Yes I know CD are a business and their aim is to make money but you would think that they would remember where there fan base started from (inc PC). I do think in the long run it will hurt sales, yes they may have been paid big bucks by MS which would be a quick cash injection but I suspect they would have made more over a long period of time releasing on all 3 consoles. I def won't pick this up new now just out of principle unless it's heavily discounted!